Life after retirement

Discussion in 'Financial Independence, Retire Early (FIRE)' started by eggnog, 25th Oct, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. eggnog

eggnog Well-Known Member

After years of grinding I have finally decided to retire. My work does not excite me anymore and I am spent from years of putting in the equivalent of 2x FTE with work and investing. Many people talk about retirement as an end goal in life but if I am being honest, I am feeling a bit of anxiety and apprehension about the empty road ahead. I am in my 30s so have many decades still ahead of me. I have a young family that will keep me engaged during the evenings and weekends. But what about the times in-between? My biggest concern is boredom and loneliness (since all my friends are still stuck in the rat-race) and all the mental health issues that can arise from lack of engagement.

I would like to hear stories from all those who have reached financial freedom. What have you found to be the reality of retirement? What gets you out of bed every morning? Any tips on how to mentally navigate through retirement?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: 25th Oct, 2021
  2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Travel is opening up and you could always get another job if it doesn't work out.

Sgav likes this.
  3. Ace in the Hole

Ace in the Hole Well-Known Member

I think personality type will make quite a difference here.
    We sold our business about 4 years ago and I’ve been retired not long after that just after 40.
    I’m more of an introverted person and love every day that I don’t have to work again, if I’m busy or not busy I’m happy. Covid was like normal life to me. Although it will be good to do a bit more travel now and other things. Athletic performance and fitness is my passion now, making up for my younger years and I spend a lot of time on this.
    I’ll never work again for money as far as I can see.
    However, my wife needs more interaction and continues to work for the business we sold, which keeps her busy and makes her feel important.

If you get bored you can always go back to work.

Melburnian007, EN710, EK01 and 5 others like this.
  4. Gav

Gav Well-Known Member

I stopped work at 40, spent a lot of time with my kids and involvement in the school when they were younger, but when they got older, and took up less time I wanted to do something productive, but that still gave me a lot of flexibility.
    Cant ever really see myself fully retiring, not all its cracked up to be...

5. MB18

MB18 Well-Known Member

Not exactly early retirement although I have had a taste of it the last couple of years laregly not working due to covid (but not actually requiring an income to support me) and being the same age as yourself.

My thoughts from this taster experience:
    *The social element of work I missed the most.
    *You wont lose connections because you will be more readily avalible to people, but you will probably be the one who has to intiate things.
    *Boredom comes from not being content with what you have, in other words a state of mind not related to inactivity.
    *I ended up doing sporadic casual/voluntary work for some routine which I enjoyed.
    *I enjoyed exploring my own back yard so far as travel has been possible the last couple of years.

I've just gone back to my usual career now that things are returning to normal and I'm happy to do so although FIRE for me is more about the FI.
    State of mind was the biggest friend or foe in my retirement taster. I found that a casual/voluntary job a day or two a week was valuable in providing an element of routine (I dont have kids).

Travelbug, VanillaSlice and Anne11 like this.
  6. monk

monk Well-Known Member

You could check the StrongMoneyAustralia blog & others similar to get insights on what others, who have retired early do, or are on that road to achieve it.

7. eggnog

eggnog Well-Known Member

Thank you all for your comments. A lot of useful tips. Please keep them coming.
    TerryW - Travel would be great. Will definitely keep me engaged during the school holiday periods.
    Ace - I am seeing my retirement life similar to yours. I too am an introvert and see myself spending a lot of time in the gym and exercising. The past few years have not been good to my body. Need to rectify it.
    Gav - Thank you for the tip that as kids get older they take up less time. Something I will need to factor in.
    MB18 - Great tips mate. State of mind is my biggest concern. Investing is all about mindset. I see retirement being the same but under a different mindset. Need to figure it out just like I had to for investing.
    And Monk thank you for the link. I haven't checked it out yet but it sounds exactly like the type of forum I need to start exploring.

8. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

What interests have you ever had in your life ?
    You can find somewhere to volunteer.
    Or change careers and work part time (nothing better than being financially secure when the upstart boss/supervisor makes life difficult and you tell them to "stick ya job up your *****) :D

Anne11 likes this.
  9. Mark F

Mark F Well-Known Member

Don't you mean life in retirement? I think most of us understand what happens after retirement. :eek:

Realist35, Angel and Stoffo like this.
  10. eggnog

eggnog Well-Known Member

Haha Stoffo - Unfortunately I am too diplomatic to say that :)
    Mark F - Good catch. Life after retirement is definitely grim

11. Morgs

Morgs Well-Known Member Business Member

What does retirement actually mean for you? What do you enjoy doing? Good opportunity to reinvent your career and do something you're passionate about....

12. Big A

Big A Well-Known Member

In a similar situation, feeling the same and asking myself the same questions. When I figure it out I will share the secret with you.

13. Heinz57

Heinz57 Well-Known Member

The problem I found was that you can spend WAY too much time with your significant other. :p

Also all your cohorts are still working so you are still catching up at weekends just like before retirement!

a project helps I think - reno maybe.

Big A likes this.
  14. Millie

Millie Well-Known Member

For me, I do a couple of days a week of casual work - it feels like “free” money, and I’ve learned some new skills there also.

But the thing I have enjoyed the most is volunteering at a primary school with many of the children being from immigrant parents. The teachers appreciate the kids getting some one-to-one help, not just for the children “struggling” but also the more advanced ones who can sometimes get overlooked for extra assistance.

I help Yr 5’s and Yr 6’s with Maths and English so I feel it’s of real value, which makes me feel good.

My children are now young adults and they have had so many advantages through education, I feel like I want to help others.

While this may not be your cup of tea, there are lots of different opportunities to volunteer.

icic, craigc, Travelbug and 6 others like this.
  15. Baker

Baker Well-Known Member

I can reduce your stress and apprehension instantly...

... just send me half your money and keep working. I'll look after it, promise.

codeninja, icic, EK01 and 2 others like this.
  16. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Gave up formal work over 2.5 years ago...at 51...and now busier than ever.

I wake up when I want...but I am lucky that my passion is property...in the last 10 months I have sold 3 and have bought 4. I am also helping other people source. So may days are full.....

I am quite fortunate that my hobby is pretty much my sideline. Would love to travel but alas that is at least 12 months away before COVID settles and things normalize.

In the meantime my portfolio is starting to rocket again and I can't spend it as fast as it is coming in. First world problems....

The secret is to do the things you luv and engage with helping others..in my case property. ;)

inertia, craigc, orangestreet and 6 others like this.
  17. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

The issue many face when "retiring" is planning what you're going to do after you've done the 'go bush/OS, visit everyone (but they're working), fix up the house, restaurants, day trips, spend every waking hour at the club.....'

If you're able and enjoy what you do become an industry consultant or if that way inclined a professional witness - pick & choose your clients, work when (or if) you want to work.

Consider structured retirement eg take up a weekday sport or other regular activities - social or unsociable (volunteering, philanthropic pursuits, further study in an unrelated field, golf, tennis, cycling, fishing, running, bushwalking/hiking, skiing, fitness/gym. Plenty of solitary or small group sports - some more suited to younger cohorts).

As others have mentioned get involved with your kids' schools - active role on P&F, parent helper in class (reading, maths, catechist, science, excursions/camps), performing arts, canteen, fundraisers etc.

I retreated from permanent work a while ago, Mrs No Mates didn't go back to work/became a stay at home mum - kids haven't finished school yet so it isn't too long ago. Prior to Covid, we'd spend 4 weeks annually skiing as well as less physical activities at other times of the year.

It's hard work doing nothing. :oops:

Anne11 likes this.
  18. Heinz57

Heinz57 Well-Known Member

And you never get a day off from it

codeninja, PeterCr, Stoffo and 2 others like this.
  19. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

My daughter. Literally.

Then it's off to parks, pools, beaches, cafes, travelling, cooking (while she makes a mess), house inspecting, Cinderella dress shopping, visit friends, family, PC reading, movies, praying, reading, exercising, Martini'ing, golfing, zoom meeting with project managers, fishing, donating time to local community, boating, BBQ'ing, massages, spas, more travelling...

Not enough time in one lifetime....

The 9 to 6, 5 day nonsense is just that. Nonsense. Once your free......enjoy your freeeeeeedom !!!

Last edited: 26th Oct, 2021
    Realist35, codeninja, icic and 9 others like this.
  20. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I found my other love, art, painting, drawing

Currently drawing portraits, its all about shading and capturing the light. I am literally in shock that I can actually do this:eek::p.

I spend about 10 hours per week on this at home, and attend 3 classes per week.

icic, EK01, Travelbug and 4 others like this.