LIC NTA discount question

Discussion in 'Share Investing Strategies, Theories & Education' started by JK200SX, 12th Jul, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. JK200SX

JK200SX Well-Known Member

Question in regards to buying LIC's at a discount..........
    Taking a look at the latest WHF report:
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...45:latestnta&usg=AOvVaw3ckXeWFkNgh9xOWqMgUUGt

The pre-tax NTA is $5.23 and post tax is $4.77. Assuming the current price is $4.85 and you buy at this price, are you buying at a discount? ie, do you consider the Pre tax or post tax price to calculate if you are buying at a discount?

2. monk

monk Well-Known Member

Your question is answered in Listed Investment Companies (LIC) 2019 thread on pages 79 & 80 if you scroll through these pages re: WHF.

3. The Falcon

The Falcon Well-Known Member

LIC discount is not a free kick. NTA analysis is very widely available and published.

You can make a case for buying at a larger discount than is the norm due to say recent poor performance (with a view to mean regression) however NTA discount by itself doesnt tell you much.

4. JK200SX

JK200SX Well-Known Member

Thanks I've read this and I'm still confused. There is an argument for both pre and post. If you base it on post tax NTA then I guess you are paying 2.3% to much. On the other hand, if you base the calc on pre tax NTA then you are getting the shares at a 6.7% discount?

Help!

5. Snowball

Snowball Well-Known Member

Most people use Pre tax. This is the ongoing values of yer portfolio.

Post tax is what is left if the LIC was to theoretically sell everything immediately.

So Pre tax tends to be more useful for most here. But as @The Falcon said it’s not totally free money, you’re effectively just getting a slightly higher yield than if the portfolio traded at NTA.

6. Hodor

Hodor Well-Known Member

Would you argue the opposite on paying a premium?

7. The Falcon

The Falcon Well-Known Member

Yes. Can’t get my head around buying LICs above NTA.