Liberal leadership challenge?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by geoffw, 20th Aug, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Sorry @Lizzie - no more leadership challenges this week.

2. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Nothing too see :)

3. turk

turk Well-Known Member

Could be one in Victoria next week.

4. dabbler

There is no US liberals chasing out AU liberals....

5. geoffw

6. euro73

euro73 Well-Known Member Business Member

The beautiful Hills District, Sydney Australia
    We all know that a week is a long time in politics, let alone 6 months, but it just seems like this lot are heading for an absolute shellacking at the next election in May 2019....

The extreme right like Abbott, Abetz, Andrews , Dutton, Sukkar etc just seem to be so on the nose with people that barring some sort of miracle, it appears the coalition is going to face an electoral wipe out. These hard right types really ought to leave the coalition and join Bernardi's mob.

Credlin, Jones, Hadley, Murray , Bolt and Dean must be having conniptions

7. geoffw

8. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Very on the nose ... Julia summed it up perfectly on "The Drum" last night about why people are turning over. Something along the lines of:

"The Liberal Party used to be a party of financial conservatism and prolific progressiveness ... it now appears to be financially prolific and progressively conservative"

Personally, I think the problem is that they are too worried about keeping their jobs by pandering to the minority rather than doing what is right for the people ... not realising that by doing what is right for the majority, they should keep their jobs

9. marmot

marmot Well-Known Member

It will be interesting to see if the party can hold it together or completely implode, as it dawns on them the consequences of dumping Turnball.
    A media commentary was saying the other day that the Party is now toxic with many women voters , a large portion of the younger voters and didnt make any friends with the same sex marriage debate.

10. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I'm predicting the implosion - don't think ScoMo has the ability to hold it together

willair likes this.
  11. geoffw

Factions within the ALP have been common and well known for a long time. But for many years, the coalition presented a united front.

Perhaps it's the absence of a strong leader like John Howard who was able to keep the factions together. Abbott was too far right for many, and Turnbull too far left. The disunity has become more and more open, to their detriment.

dabbler likes this.
  12. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Regardless of views I think one would be crazy not to take Labor Policy seriously. The probability of possible change is rising by the day.

13. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

Putting any Liberal (?) leadership (?) challenge to one side, Julia Banks could not have timed it better. There is ScoMo and the Fryer pumped up with "Hey, we're good. Budget surplus time!" and their place in the Sun was suck by a perfectly aimed torpedo.

TSK likes this.
  14. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Problem is,if you go full circle to the right you end up on the left side anyway,it's more like a ""inside job conspiracy theory"" and mission accomplished for the neocon goon squad..

15. dabbler

This is all and every politician too a tee today.

If you look across much of PC, the same processes and thoughts exist, it is all about social popularity now to line up with the vocal minority.

We have too many migrants now who never cared about our base political system.

The system seems broken and on a course to keep it so.

16. dabbler

What, like the Rudd, Gillard, Rudd show.........until we have a trump and they all are dumped, there is no consequence.

17. marmot

marmot Well-Known Member

Just how desparate will the libs get as they all try and keep their jobs , although both sides of politics have been guilty over the years.
    No one likes getting fired and politicians are no different.
    Not sure how they are going to appeal to female voters and younger voters that have entered into the workforce into casualized jobs with virtually no wage growth and then watched as our 2 biggest cities saw massive growth in house prices.
    The younger generation aren't all that impressed that they will see their taxes being used to pay "Self Funded" retirees , many with over One million dollars sitting in their accounts , while benefits like newstart and unemployment benefits have seen some big changes
    Then being loaded up with more debt for those that want to go to TAFE , or whats left of it.

Last edited: 27th Nov, 2018
    marty998 likes this.
  18. geoffw

Oh wow. It's all the fault of the migrants.

I guess you're right, as long as you restrict it to migrants who have arrived within the last 231 years and their descendants.

19. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Not what I said at all - I don't have a problem with migrants, and certainly DON'T want a Trump style (ahem) leader.

The minority I'm talking about are those that think, and act, like Pauline Hanson and Bob Katter and the recent Clive Palmer ads ... and I throw ScoMo and Dutton into that mix. Those who are trying to deny reality - stifle progressiveness and compassion - and are lusting after the "good ole days"

I'd love to see more Kerryn Phelps and Jackie Lambie type figures

20. geoffw

I personally don't like Jackie Lambie's politics. But I think it's good for minority parties to be represented, as long as they represent their constituency. I don't think it's a bad thing for larger parties to have to negotiate bills. Some senators have won seats based on a ridiculously small number of votes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.