levelling wooden floor

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Allgood, 3rd Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Allgood

Allgood Well-Known Member

Hi Guys,

Im looking at ways to level the old wooden floor in our PPOR. There's currently about a 30 - 40mm mm difference across the house with some noticeable highpoints in the living areas. I've spoken to a few tilers who are quoting to put screed down across the whole house, but they keep saying its a big job, so I'm expecting high quotes.

One tiler suggested getting a builder to lay level joists on top of the existing floor and then put floorboards down on top. Has anyone ever done this? Its an area of about 85m2. Jacking up the house isn't really an option because it has so many additions that its not just one corner that would need to be lifted.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

Instead of try to level it, why not use vinyl or vinyl planks over masonite which won't show the out-of-level, rather than ceramic tiles?

3. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Get a builder out.
    Seriously might not to be to bad.
    Or give it a go yourself grab a bottle jack and some packers! For a jobthat's all over the shop the price would come down to how perfect you wanted it, or just do the main noticeable spots.

and its likely to continue moving and could ruin your tiles once it shifts more. worth a visit from a builder

@Tim86 might have an idea

4. Beelzebub

Beelzebub Well-Known Member

I hate vinyl with a passion, but it could be your only option.

A solid timber floor would work, you couldn't do pre-finished floating with those levels (But big $$$). Also, if the house does continue to move you will get big gaps between the boards.

Either vinyl, carpet or call a leveller and or builder.

5. Brian84

Brian84 Well-Known Member

If the house is bearers and joists on brick piers then I would suggest hiring or buying a laser level and getting under the house with a bottle jack and packers as suggested. Work out where the highest point of the house is and start packing. It's really not a hard job. Just time consuming having to crawl around under the house. Will save you a lot of money to.

6. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Get a builder in as others have suggested - it could be as simple as a few piers having toppled or gone out of plumb.