levelling ceiling (roof?) at back of house

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by dmo, 4th Mar, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. dmo

dmo Active Member

Hi folks,

Definitely a massive knowledge base of users here so I wanted to throw in something i've been thinking about for advice, recommendations and possibly even gut ballparks if anyone can help.

In my PPOR there are a number of things I'd like to do to improve the floorplan and functionality of the house. It's a 1960's built home with the back 2.5m of the house having a slopped ceiling. One half is brick right to the roof, the other side is brick half way up and then glass/wood to the ceiling.

I've attached some images from the sale of the property to help give you an idea of what it looks like. The idea I've had in my head is to possibly levelling out the ceiling.

This idea is part of a bigger idea to renovate by adding/removing some walls. One of those is to take out the wall between living and the back bedroom to increase the kitchen/living space right to the back wall where there could be bifold doors to the backyard. Ideally a level ceiling in this instance would be preferred.

There's obviously a lot involved with the greater plan, but I wanted to query the levelling of the ceiling here and ask if anyone else has done similar, or has any ideas here, or may even be able to provide a rough ballpark to what I could possibly be looking at cost wise.

You're input is definitely appreciated. cheers!

Attached Files:

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I would work with the quirks rather than change them. I like the rake ceiling but would paint out all that timber, maybe add some strapping to accentuate the rake?

Lose the red trim for sure.

dmo likes this.
  3. dmo

dmo Active Member

with the last photo showing all the wood, the greater idea was to take out the wall to the left of the picture, which would open up the living space the extra amount. The right of the picture would have bifold doors, and where the photo is taken from would be bricked across.

Do you think having a room where the ceiling slopes downward toward the back doors might be a bit weird instead of being all at the same level?

4. wylie

Taking out walls is something that makes my heart sing :D. Do it!

But the sloping roof isn't an issue for me and I think you could play it up rather than try to change it.

dmo likes this.
  5. vbplease

vbplease Well-Known Member

Not at all.. it may be a bit quirky, but a lot of people would still find the 60's/70's house design very nice if finished nicely.

Putting in a false ceiling at the lowest point would give you a 2.0m ceiling height throughout.. disaster.

dmo likes this.
  6. dmo

dmo Active Member

hmm, good points.. given me more to think about.

and yeah, the red is an absolute must to go.. holy crap, no idea what previous owners were thinking when that was applied. Found the old paint tin in the shed and it had turned into this super thick, black molasses-like something haha

7. vbplease

vbplease Well-Known Member

You may want to get some inspiration from this reno? Painting the timber and gyprocking the brick can make a nice improvement.
    Beenwerrin Cres, Capalaba, QLD

dmo likes this.
  8. wylie

That is exactly what I was thinking. Thanks vbplease for the link. That showcases the slope rather than trying to change it.

9. dmo

dmo Active Member

Oh this is lovely, definitely like how this feels. Might explore more inspiration using the slope to a benefit, thanks folks really appreciate it.

10. Hanison

Hanison Well-Known Member

From photo's provided I doubt you will be able to achieve legal height if you dropped those ceilings.
    2400mm you need including gyprock and floor covering.
    Those doors are likely 2100 and it would appear that a further 300mm would be pushing it.
    Plus the rake is interesting and adds character.
    As others have said. Diffidently re decorate. Red trim is heinous ( first i have ever seen to be honest )
    Fresh modern colored paint will liven the place up immensely.
    Bail on the timber walls and ceiling in that room and replace with gyprock or just paint out if budget does not allow.