Letting part of a property

Discussion in 'Investment Strategy' started by Jockosaurus, 16th Oct, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Jockosaurus

Jockosaurus Well-Known Member

Hi all

Does anyone have experience with letting part of a property? I have a 4 bed duplex on the Gold Coast which is currently fully let, but I wouldn't mind keeping the downstairs bedroom for personal use when I want to pop down from Brisbane. Obviously it would require some goodwill from all parties and a rent reduction, and there are tax and CGT implications, but are there any legal or other pitfalls also need to consider? How unattractive might such an arrangement be for future tenants?

Tx

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

As a tenant, I would absolutely hate having my landlord pop in and sleep in the downstairs bedroom.

You'd be sharing a kitchen with them too. I wouldn't even accept this set up for a rent reduction.

Why not just hire a B&B or unit for the times you need to stay down the coast. How often would it be?

Beano, qak, Stoffo and 1 other person like this.
  3. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

NO WAY

qak likes this.
  4. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

If it was a shed out the back, used for storage, with occasional access required by the landlord, with 7 days prior notice to attending, MAYBE :rolleyes:
    (Yes, this was an example from experience. But the landlord would rock up "whenever" and would always say "but I dropped a notice in the letterbox last week", BS !).

If you put this proposal in writting to any current tenant I'd expect they'd A, say no and B, use it as grounds to terminate without notice or costs :confused:

This example is like leasing to family, sure it might work out, but is fraught with hazards and likely issue's :oops:

Pingu1988 likes this.
  5. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

A residential tenancy lease would generally be defined as the whole of a property. So you would need to exclude part of it. And then face issues with water use, electricity and more. This means YOU will pay it all and they will pay nothing since the seperate meter rule is failed. Its wierd. Its like asking if you can put a spy camera in the shower. And totally unattractive to tenants. More likely will create a dispute and then a QCAT decision would be adverse. eg we didnt break the shower screen, you did.

You would also have a portion of costs which are private and non-deductible eg 1/4 of the property costs. It would also not be partially CGT exempt or land tax exempt as it is neither a principal place of residence (land tax) or a main residence (CGT).

IMO its easier and cheaper to rent elsewhere when you want to stay on the gold coast.