Cars & Motorbikes Let's talk cars...

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Barny, 8th May, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. BKRinvesting

BKRinvesting Well-Known Member

Yeh the non-MIVEC ones were a little sluggish, The mivec added much needed pep.

I was in the FTO Aus club for a while. A few people just dumped the 6A13TT from the galant/legnum or a 4g63 from the early Evos in to make it insane.
    However the AWD conversion always remained elusive. In theory the running gear from early evos could come across - but there were only rumours of one guy who actually did it

Here's the club presidents car. 6A13TT in there.

Dan Donoghue and Propagate like this.
  2. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

That brings back memories for me. I had one of those. That was my first car. Circa 1982 like this, but a 4 door. The specs are hilarious now:

993cc, 3 Cylinder, Single Overhead Camshaft, 2 Valves Per Cylinder, 6 Valves in Total
    Kerb Weight: 660 Kg.

I drove it from Adelaide to Perth and had no problems. Didn't use a lot of petrol! :)

[​IMG]

jim1964, Barny and The Y-man like this.
  3. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Ah, yours predates mine. I had the next generation 1984 G11 similar to
    [​IMG]

but no back seats.

Didn't realise they tried to make a mid-engine homologation special!

Daihatsu DeTomaso Charade 926R – Gr.B Prototype

The Y-man

Perthguy likes this.
  4. Blacky

Blacky Well-Known Member

My first car was a suzuki Sierra - on 'permanent loan' from mum and dad. We purchased it new in about 1990, and believe it or not still own it today. It has survived over 250,000kms (then we replaced the engine), more than 3 learner drivers, 3x university drivers, 2x pizza delivery drivers and now lives at the beach house as a dune/beach car. We have removed the roof and rear seats, plus had to replace the front seats (more than once?). I have rolled it twice, and taken it swimming more times than I can remember. When I was in college I used it to move house, twice.
    I used to be able to get it to 100kms/hr, down hill with the wind. But doubt I could nowadays. If you ever get bogged (unlikely as it doesnt have the power to spin the wheels...) you simply get 4-5 guys to pick it up and move it.

My second car was a 81 Ford Laser, it was red (so it went quicker). Bought for $1700, drove it about 120,000kms and sold it for $2500. I could get it up to 140kms/hr, but then it would start bouncing.

I then got a 1990 2.8l TD Holden Rodeo duel cab. Paid $7800. Drove it about 250,000kms, most of the time it had the boat hooked on the back of it. Had as close to zero maintenance costs (exc servicing and tyres obviosly) as you could get. It could tow my boat(s) better than the old mans 4.2l Nissan Patrol. I nearly wrote it off when I hit a roo on the way to Perth. I drove it over 600kms at one point without a clutch (lights were the only tricky bit). The hand brake cable snapped after about 1month of ownership, and I didnt repair that until I sold it - though I did keep a brick in the back in case I had to park on a hill. Traded it in for $7400. Great car and I regret selling it.

Bought a Mazda 6 when I started working in corporate banking in order to keep up appearances.
    It was a nice, economical car but it really didnt suit me. Paid $20,000 sold it a few years later for $15,000. It was nice, with all push button thingies, cruise control, stereo (that you could actually hear) and clean. You could put your foot on the accelerator and it would actually push the car forward. All this luxury... I didnt really like it.

I havent owned a car since about 2009
    Im actually looking forward to getting back to the real world and owning a car. Ill buy a 200series land cruiser and an old bomb 4wd for towing the boat.
    Mrs Blacky will get a Rav4 (or similar) when she learns how to drive.
    I would love to get a Tesla, but really have no justification for this.

Turns out Im not much of a 'car guy' - but ask me about the boats... Im all about the boats!

Blacky

Gockie, Barny and Propagate like this.
  5. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Gahahaha! Yep - you roll it over, and just get 4 people to roll it back! :D

The Y-man

6. turk

turk Well-Known Member

Currently pondering whether to buy a new(2nd hand) car, tossing up between a 2013/14 Merc CLA200 or a Jag XF 20.

7. Blacky

Blacky Well-Known Member

In one very memorable uni event, my mates picked up my car, put it on the deck behind the bar, then proceeded to fill it with beer and ice. I had no idea about it until I got to the event, and was saying how awsome the esky was... I hadnt realised it was my car being used :D:p

Blacky

Tim86, Westminster, The Y-man and 3 others like this.
  8. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

Have you test driven em?

9. turk

turk Well-Known Member

Not yet, what is your impression?

10. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

Haven't driven either so not sure. I like the looks of the jag but don't know.

11. Daniel007

Daniel007 Well-Known Member

A project car without a doubt, depreciation is a tangible cost people don't think about. I think your downside is a lot lower, just don't buy something on the limits (ie big boost on the stock ceramic turbos).

My father has a few 70s muscle cars which are worth multiples of what he paid 10 yrs ago, i reckon it will be the same for the iconic 90s-00s jap cars that the younger generations adored but couldn't afford when they were new.

12. jim1964

jim1964 1941

I have a few oldies tucked away in containers, and your definitely on the right track with the jap cars.

13. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

Do you guys have any idea what they may have appreciated over years in %? Just curious from an investment side.

14. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

I'm married to a revhead. I have no (well a few) objections but we are running out of room and my backyard looks like a salvage yard most days.
    It's an eclectic mix of everything but mainly he's a Subie man and enjoys making them go fast immensely.
    I have a daily of an older V8 Cayenne that I like to scrape the rims along gutters and a VW Karmann Ghia

hobo and Blacky like this.
  15. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

You like to scraping rims lol. Take it he does a little track work?

16. jim1964

jim1964 1941

The ones i have have performed better than super,shares and property.

Barny likes this.
  17. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

Awesome.

18. drg86

drg86 Well-Known Member

I've had my fair share of rides over the last few years, one year owning 4 different cars...

The list so far
    90 Nissan Exa Targa top
    96 VS Commodore
    01 VX SS exhaust and tuned
    98 Hilux (purchased $1500 sold $5000) First investment car haha
    05 VZ SSZ ute
    07 VE SSV ute Tuned/exhaust
    2000 Proton Satria... cheapy $800
    1970 HG Kingswood, another investment
    03 WRX some suspension and engine work
    09 VE SSV ute Cam/tuned/big brakes/clutch plus more 470HP at the tyres
    05 Liberty GT wagon B Spec wheels/suspension work
    07 Hilux
    2000 Ford Laser cheapy
    04 Liberty 3.0RB STI 6 speed blew head gasket :(
    15 VF Storm Ute

All this in my teens/20's haha

Favourites were the WRX for handling and the cammed ute for raw power and sound.

Slowed down last couple of years with all the IP's and Renovations getting the funds. Would love to have another toy in the next couple of years, working on upgrading the PPOR to accommodate a 5 car garage, then I will focus on filling it :D

Serveman likes this.
  19. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

I have stupid 22" low profile tiles from the previous owner so there is no tyre wall to protect them when I accidentally do a parallel park a little to close to the curb. The rims are black so when I scrape you see silver and it stands out like dogs balls. My rims and I are a running joke :)

He's a straight line and performance demon. Has a 9 sec quarter mile car that has something insane like 700whp. It was a interesting day when his daily driver was too fast for the drags and wasn't allowed to run anymore without a roll cage which would prevent it being a daily driver. In the end to the speed demon bought an ex targa shell with roll cage and transplanted everything into it. Now the aerodynamics are letting it down (90s Imprezza shell) so it's kitcar time and he's just started the build of the 818C. The donor wreck WRX was stripped on the weekend.

20. Daniel007

Daniel007 Well-Known Member

A good r32 was around 25k 2 yrs ago, now looking at 40-50k for the same thing. Some of the older classics are worth multiples of what they were worth in the early 2000s, have a look at the shannons auctions.