Cars & Motorbikes Let's talk cars... 2022

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Serveman, 1st Jan, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Serveman

Serveman Well-Known Member

I wonder how and where would be the best way to buy an Opel Gt?

craigc likes this.
  2. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Personally I think they have smoothed out some of the quality issues that were apparent in the Tesla S. I did look at the EV6 and the Ioniq 5 which has also been well awarded and they didn't meet my requirements - range, height of passengers, price point.
    Thankfully Perth people seemed to be capable of not parking in the charging spots.

3. inertia

inertia Well-Known Member

Absolutely fair question. For me right now, it is probably more about availability. I put a fully refundable deposit down on a Model Y to basically hold my spot in the line. I'm probably more inclined to go for the Hyundai Ionic5 to be frank, but we'll see what happens in the next couple of months.

Besides, there's a good chance I would be able to flip the Tesla for a tidy profit :)

4. LIDM

LIDM Well-Known Member

Consider contacting Mark Hocking Special Vehicles - no affiliation but may be able to help

Serveman likes this.
  5. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Ducked in to have a last look before pick up. A couple months wait is all I'm patient for... pick up June 30.

20220617_094650.jpg

20220617_094718.jpg

20220617_094616.jpg

Propin, gman65, craigc and 1 other person like this.
  6. sharon

sharon Well-Known Member

I need a new car (ex demo or something), and I have no idea on cars.
    Perhaps someone here could point me in the right direction.

I have two primary aged kids - so back seat space is important.
    I need enough room in the boot for travel (bags for 3 people).
    I want it to be cheap to run and very reliable.
    Also has to be a good little car for the kids to learn to drive (in 4 years time).
    Cost $30 - $35k

I am a bit worried about buying a petrol car as the price of petrol is skyrocketing, and it's
    possible that they will all be fazed out soon. I tend to hold onto my cars for 15 years.
    So I am worried about this. BUT - EV cars are seriously outside of my price range
    right now.

So hit me with your suggestions please. Oh - and I also need the car in the next
    few weeks/months - so nothing I would have to wait more than 2mths for.

Thx.

7. GreenTreeFrog

GreenTreeFrog Well-Known Member

Tesla upgrade available on the app now…

Attached Files:

Westminster likes this.
  8. Mick Butterfield

Mick Butterfield Well-Known Member

If you are not too much of a brand snob you could go for something like this.

https://ssangyong.com.au/models/korando

South Korean made so build quality is up there for the $ and also 7 year warranty.

9. sharon

sharon Well-Known Member

That is a great price - but - that is a BIG car!! I don't know that it's great for the kids learning how to drive, and not great for being cheap to run and register and tyres etc.
    I will check the brand some more though to see what small cars they have. Thank you.

10. Westminster

I think this will be an attractive option as many don't want/need to full capabilities of FSD

11. Westminster

The good brands don't have a lot in your price baracket @sharon but maybe the MG brand might suit? I drove their small SUV model as a hire care in Brisbane and GC for a 8 days and it was very fuel economical (less than 7ltr per 100km)

It's a lot of car features for $30k https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/de...17709&gtsViewType=topspot&rankingType=topspot

It's not going to be the quality of a Toyota but at this price point it's a lot of bang for buck

sharon likes this.
  12. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

Heaps of Hyundai ioniq 5 used as a taxi in South Korea which fortunately I was a passenger. At first I wasn't keen on the design but it somewhat grows on you over time.

inertia likes this.
  13. Serveman

Just wanted to ask the following questions, maybe some of you have a view on this:

1. Which classic cars, and more modern cars, have a good supply of spare parts, which are hard to get and which are very expensive ? I ask this because I am hearing that some brands, including cars that are not too old are not manufacturing spare parts, so you could end up with big problems if you need a component. Mechanics are now having to order parts from overseas and customers waiting for weeks to have their cars fixed. This leads to my next question:

2. Out of the newer cars which companies are using too many plastic components and which are made of more high quality steel parts. One mechanic has told me that Lexus/Toyota have the least plastic components. Another guy I spoke to is not impressed with many of the new cars coming out from the car companies with a quality standpoint and is recommending older cars that are better made.

14. Mick Butterfield

Mick Butterfield Well-Known Member

Well I have just placed an order for a new Prado VX. Dealer who is a good mate of mine thinks 4-5 months wait. Let’s see.

15. Westminster

I'd say that a number of companies may have reduced making spare parts during the pandemic to concentrate on being able to actually make cars. This mainly relates to any car company that insists on OEM parts to be used during warranty periods. This can be a real problem for some European car brands. So if your 3yo BMW with a 5yr warranty needs a new blah blah then your dealer might not stock that part and it needs to be shipped in.

If your car is a common brand, ie Toyota or Ford, then there is a higher chance of local stock of parts even though they were shipped in as they are not made here. Companies (Toyota or places like Repco) etc are more likely to stock genuine or after market parts because they know they will be needed. Less common brands or older models are not as well stocks.

So if you want something that you might be able to get parts for 20yrs then I'd probably go with a Toyota/Ford/Mazda. After 20 years you are pretty much on your own and might need to scour wreckers for parts

Cars with expensive parts I would say are high end euro but you really do have to expect that. A $200k Mercedes or a $400k Porsche is going to have expensive parts. Once they depreciate down to around $20-30k (15yrs ++) if you need a $5k part you seriously have to decide is it worth spending a quarter of the value of the car or is it time to say goodbye and part it out.

Serveman likes this.
  16. Millie

Millie Well-Known Member

Check out Suzuki Vitara (Turbo).

It’s surprisingly spacious - including boot.
    Easy to get in and out of.
    Fuel efficient.

One of its best features is it has excellent visibility. It’s an important feature, which is not always mentioned - especially for learner drivers.

sharon and The Y-man like this.
  17. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

I'd second @Millie on a Vitara Turbo.

If you need bigger, check out the Mitsu Overlander.
    There is a plug in hybrid model, but it is a bit pricey.

I was going to get a Vitara, but ended up (shock horror to many here) with a....Hyundai Venue.

It was 7~8 grand less than the Vitara, missing the BSD and Adaptive Cruise), but I just couldn't go past the old fashioned 1.6 MPFI (vs 1.4 GDI turbo in the Viatra)... :D

It's only a week in but no parts have fallen off yet, so fingers crossed!

I'd avoid a MG (it's a rebadged SAIC)

The other possible contender IMHO would be a Kona (if you prefer Koreans over Hungarians and ok with CVT vs traditional 6 speed auto).

The Y-man

sharon likes this.
  18. The Y-man

Sorry, just read you have no idea on cars, and what I wrote was probably technical baloney.

Attempt at simplified verison:
    • Outlander - big but uses a decent amount of fuel (about 8-9 L/100km when I drove a rental) unless it is the more expy Hybrid
    • Vitara - made in Hungary under Suzuki License - I've never driven a Hungarian car so have no real opinions... but reputation seems ok. Has the current trend of "direct injection" (GDI) engines, which are very efficient, but can have problems in the really long term (carbon buildup but really talking 200,000km sort of thing) and needs Premium fuel
    • Hyundai Kona and Venue run good old normal cheap fuel. They run an old fashioned "fuel injection" - which basically means not as efficient, but theoretically longer lived (due to old tech). The Venue has used about 7L/100km
    • MG - is now manufactured in China by the Shaghai Auto Industry Co. Maybe ok, but jury is out on quality etc.
    Hope this helps...

The Y-man

sharon likes this.
  19. The Y-man

Maybe worth looking at the Hyundai i30 and Subaru Impreza too.

The Y-man

sharon likes this.
  20. Serveman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.