Cars & Motorbikes Let's talk about car prices for 2022

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Traveller99, 4th Jan, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

I've been looking to buy a Suzuki Jimny for about $39k with 1,000km's on it. That's roughly the price it is brand new I think so it seems pretty fair. 1k km's is basically brand new to me.

2. boganfromlogan

boganfromlogan Well-Known Member

Ah the Jimny.

Part of the appeal is there cheap.

But they aren't anymore.

At least u won't get bogged. In sand especially

3. jaybean

Agreed, but the look of it is so appealing to me so I'm willing to pay a premium.

boganfromlogan likes this.
  4. gman65

gman65 Well-Known Member

What are you going to use it for?

5. jaybean

Driving around town. I don't go off road or anything that would really make full use of it.

The only thing that even comes close might be all the handy work that I do, I could really use the boot space. But otherwise it's wasted on me. But I don't care I want it :)

boganfromlogan likes this.
  6. vbplease

vbplease Well-Known Member

Just wondering why you would do that? to have a new car for the same price as selling the old one?

I'm pretty sure new car prices have risen as well.. and you'd be without a car for 6 months?

7. boganfromlogan

boganfromlogan Well-Known Member

That's the jimny!! Everyone loves it.

Pity they aren't cheap any more.

8. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Yup new warranty, new tech, , newer engine type, new everything. The difference between selling mine and what I paid for it is around $5k. So it's "cost" me $5k to use it for 3yrs. New ones are now around $10k more than I paid. So changeover is $15k.
    I've got other cars to drive if I need to wait so whilst it would be nice to just change over straight away, it's not critical.

vbplease likes this.
  9. inertia

inertia Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'd love to get a Jimny, but they are just too expensive now. Even when this model first came out, demand was so high they were "sold out" well in advance, and that carried through to the covid issues with supply. I've heard stories now that dealers run them as a demo car for a bit, then move them to the used car lot and increase the price...

10. jaybean

Do you know how much it costs new? I can't seem to find any information on it.

I think it's in the high 30's? If so it appears you can buy basically brand new for the same price, e.g.

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/de...997&gtsViewType=showcase&rankingType=showcase

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2021-suzuki-jimny-lite-manual-4x4/OAG-AD-20336928/?Cr=7

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2021-suzuki-jimny-manual-4x4/OAG-AD-20150680/?Cr=13

Many are available at this price with less than 1,000k's, which I think is basically brand new.

11. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

12. MJS1034

MJS1034 Well-Known Member

Originally was looking at a 1-2 year old MUX. Prices were not much cheaper than buying brand new. 2021 used with under 10,000 on the clock were actually selling for around $70k. Brand new top of the range are $64k. Bloody crazy!

Never thought Iā€™d be buying brand new car but here we are 5 months after placing the order. The car should arrive in the next few weeks.

Selling my 2017 outlander for more than we paid for it 4 years ago.

Westminster likes this.
  13. jaybean

14. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

My only word of caution with the Jimny is insurance. A friend's son bought one and RAC refused to insure it due to it's crap crash rating. So just double check that with your insurer.

jaybean likes this.
  15. gman65

gman65 Well-Known Member

Ahh..city car :) meant to be good off road.. but after seeing one camping packed and with a basket on the roof full of stuff, not sure it would be a great for long trips.

You never know about 4wd'ing.. I went on a trip with mate.. a month later I bought my own, and love going off road. I hate driving it around the city though.

Thinking about an EV as petrol now up around $2 is getting annoying. But also want something light and fun that I can take to track days. Thinking of ordering a gr86 soon, but wouldn't get it until the end of the year. :oops:

Hmmm... I could end up with 4 cars before the end of the year. Now that could get expensive o_O

jaybean likes this.
  16. The Y-man

Good for a bit of off roading, fast, hybrid, and might do ok on track days if set up correctly for tarmac :D

The Y-man

[​IMG]

17. paulF

paulF Well-Known Member

What do you guys think of classic cars with very high mileage asking for a ton of money.
    Cars like E36 M3 with around 200 000 kms for 50k?

I've been seeing a lot of different classics for sale for a lot of money but the mileage is just too high to my mind. Wondering what others think of this.

18. Properwin

Properwin Well-Known Member

19. The Y-man

20. spoon

spoon Well-Known Member

Do they still ask you to junk it at seven years old?