Lessons to Learn from Entrepreneurs

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by MTR, 15th Aug, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I had a list of 100, I picked 6 that I found interesting.....

Some extraordinary advice from Entrepreneurs

1. Steve Jobs: Remember you won't live forever.

[​IMG]
    Every morning Steve Jobs would ask himself this question:

"If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I'm about to do today?"

If too many days went by with the answer being “no,” he made changes in his life.

He did this until he hit a consistent yes, which drove him to countless innovations and a company worth $702 billion.

Company: Apple, Pixar Age: Deceased Net Worth: $11 Billion

2. Michael Dell: Never be the smartest in the room.
    [​IMG]
    According to Michael Dell, founder of Dell Computers, the key isn't being a big fish in a small pond ... but being a small fish in a big pond:

"Never be the smartest person in the room. And if you are, I suggest you find a different room."

Dell adds that, "In professional circles it’s called networking. In organizations it’s called team building. And in life it’s called family, friends, and community. We are all gifts to each other, and my own growth as a leader has shown me again and again that the most rewarding experiences come from my relationships."

Company: Dell Age: 50 Net Worth: $18.8 Billion

3. Chip Wilson: It's okay to ask for help.
    [​IMG]
    Between managing important projects, sending effective follow-up emails, and balancing family time ... we are swamped. We need help, but are either hesitant to ask for it, or don't know how.

Chip Wilson, founder of the women's clothing brand Lululemon, suggests learning this skill quickly:

"It took me a long time to understand it, but the best advice I ever received was to ask for help when I need it. People love to help. I don't have to be insecure and know it all. I was reticent to rely on anyone else around me and balked at the thought of asking for help, counsel, or assistance. But when you're in a business partnership with two other guys, this thought process is going to create serious problems."

Company: Lululemon Age: 58 Net Worth: $2.3 Billion

4. J.K. Rowling: Failure is the foundation of success.
    [​IMG]
    J.K. Rowling knows a lot about success. But she knows even more about failure. Seven years after college, she had failed ... and failed epically:

"I had failed on an epic scale. An exceptionally short-lived marriage had imploded, and I was jobless, a lone parent, and as poor as it is possible to be in modern Britain, without being homeless."

What happened next? She sat at her typewriter and let her imagination run wild. The result? A billion dollar book series called Harry Potter.

Sometimes when we've think we've hit rock bottom, we've got something world-changing coming up around the corner.

Occupation: Author of Harry Potter series Age: 49 Net Worth: $1 Billion

5. Jack Ma: Unite everyone around a common goal.
    [​IMG]
    Jack Ma, founder of Alibaba, is the richest man in China and the 18th richest man in the world. Through his successes, he's learned the power of one valuable piece of advice:

You cannot unify everyone’s thoughts, but you can unify everyone through a common goal. - Jack Ma

He states that it's a lot easier to unite the company under a common goal rather than uniting the company around a particular person. Why?

He says because, "30% of all people will never believe you. Do not allow your colleagues and employees to work for you. Instead, let them work for a common goal."

Company: Alibaba Age: 50 Net Worth: $37.1 Billion

6. Jack Dorsey: To be more productive, theme your days.
    [​IMG]
    Jack Dorsey, Silicon Valley billionaire, cofounded both Twitter and Square. He stays sane working eight hours at each company every day (16 hours total/day) by adhering to a structured, themed schedule:

"Mondays at both companies, I focus on management and running the company. Tuesday is focused on product. Wednesday is focused on marketing, communications, and growth. Thursday development and partnerships. Friday is focused on development and recruiting. Saturday I take off and hike. Sunday is strategy, reflection and feedback and getting ready for the rest of the week. There are obviously interruptions all the time, but this I can quickly remember 'Oh it's Tuesday, today I'm doing product' and get right back into what I was doing."

Company: Twitter Age: 38 Net Worth: $2.7 Billion

Property Twins likes this.