Lessons learnt

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by hash_investor, 7th Jun, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. datto

datto Well-Known Member

My lesson is don't drink and drive.

You can easily spill some on your clothes.

Ted Varrick, JDP1 and johnnyclash77 like this.
  2. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

Yeah, but it doesn't matter - tracckie dacks are only $5 at the markets.

Ted Varrick and datto like this.
  3. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

OMG Both Bayview and myself agree with Wogitalia. Na, it must be that he agrees with us oldies.:)

wogitalia and datto like this.
  4. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Always buy on the high side of the road - preferably on a hill - with views ... only time we didn't do this (with an IP) it got flooded during the 2007 storms.

legallyblonde likes this.
  5. House

House Well-Known Member

I can bet 3,000 residents involved in that protest weren't the ones with homes right on the beach.

Funny reading comments on other boards and news sources, a lot of the saying the "rich" deserved it! Most of the people I know up there wouldn't meet the definition of rich, when the few that are on the beach. Just bought a house 20 years ago and now have an asset worth a few million.

big max likes this.
  6. Bayview

Apparently the Council - who these folks are blaming for all this carnage to their houseso_O - asked all of them to "chip in" to pay for the cost of a sea-wall, but apparently no-one wanted to cough up.

Sam Armitage was interviewing one of the house owners this morning on Sunrise, and su7mmed it beautifully; Sam said;

"No disrespect intended, but if you can afford a $4m property on the beach, surely you could afford to pay a bit towards the sea wall?"

The sound of crickets was deafening from the lady who was being interviewed.

legallyblonde, sanj, Angel and 2 others like this.
  7. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

They should just resume the land and prevent people from building there.
    But someone will just grease someone's palm in the future and it will all start again.

8. T.C.

T.C. Well-Known Member

After checking out the places on google maps before the carnage, it appears to me that you couldn't really even see the sea-wall. It was basically covered over with sand and invisible. Just looked like any other normal bit of beach. What a balls up!

See ya's.

9. Bayview

The sea wall never got built - because the Owners kicked up and refused to kick in for the cost to build...so the Council didn't proceed.

As terrible as it is for them; it's hard to feel sorry for them (Owners) in that case.

10. wogitalia

wogitalia Well-Known Member

I know rich is subjective and all but being worth a few million is probably the point where the vast majority will be considered rich. When you consider that the average gross wage of 85k puts you into the top 15% on income and that it would take you 50+ years of saving literally every cent of that income to have a few million (grossly simplifying without interest and blah blah I know) I think it's a pretty fair criteria for considering someone rich.

Are they very rich or absurdly wealthy? Not by my measurement but I don't think calling people worth a few million rich is far off the mark at all.

While I disagree completely that they deserved it with regards to what has happened to their homes, I do think they deserve to bare the complete cost if they weren't properly insured for this event because, once again, that's entirely on them.

Joynz and Bayview like this.
  11. wogitalia

wogitalia Well-Known Member

Haha we agree on plenty of things but what's the fun in discussing those ;)

Angel likes this.
  12. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

If you are living in a location that has had coastal erosion issues for over 40 years, move.

13. T.C.

T.C. Well-Known Member

Before and after pics.

[​IMG]

It appears that the sea wall did a good job protecting properties either side of these, and it was pretty much invisible, being under the sand?

See ya's.

Lizzie likes this.
  14. Plutus

Plutus Well-Known Member

What an absolute beat up. There is nothing in the article to suggest that single claim has been rejected yet. The process for insuring a $3m+ waterfront property is typically a tad more strenuous than filling in an online form & rubber stamping a PDS.

Its also far too soon for engineers to have inspected the properties to see what (if any) structural damage has actually been done to the primary structures or for negotiations with council regarding what's going to be done. If I had to hazard a guess, they will copy the approach that has occurred in the past in QLD by trucking in sand, building a sea wall, fixing up structural damage to the houses and then re-building the cosmetic bits like lawns, decks & pools.

15. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

A council member interviewed this morning said agreement was reached with owners to build the last section of the sea wall in front of these houses around 10 years ago. Protesters took it to the State land court where the approval was over-ruled.
    Marg

16. Tenex

Tenex Well-Known Member

Firstly "Acts of the sea" is a very broad term that can be interpreted in many different ways.

Secondly, you are buying a house right next to the sea, one of the main reasons you are insuring it is acts of the sea. It's like saying we bought in the middle of the bush but bush fires are not covered. Why on earth did you waste money on building insurance then if the most likely thing that could happen to you is not covered?

With due respect, that is a very naive statement to make. Insurance companies are notorious for finding ways of not processing claims. Go on google and look at every single insurance company's reviews. You wont find a single one that doesnt have a very large array of complaints that they dont pay claims.

They have lawyers on retainer, private investigators on the watch and government authorities on the payroll. They are not there to look after you, they are there to separate you from your money :)

willair and Observer like this.
  17. hash_investor

hash_investor Well-Known Member

So you are saying your house, car, IP and health are not insured because you read some reviews on the internet? I suggest you don't read reviews on the internet or you would just sit in your (uninsured) home all your life because the world outside is too bad...

18. Observer

Observer Well-Known Member

@hash_investor I suppose it comes down to having plan B and not just blindly rely on the insurance company to pay the claim. As it's been said their best shot, if insurance tensions occur, may be to get together and hire a good lawyer.

Tenex likes this.
  19. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

20. Bayview

See ya's.[/QUOTE]Even if I could afford to live right on the beach like that; I wouldn't because of the terrific privacy. o_O
    The lady on the interview this morning was crying - she was crying because the Council hadn't built the wall....what more can I tell you?

It looks as thought there has been some rocks placed in front of the larger white house, and beyong it as well - possibly a privately funded and constructed wall by the owners?

Or maybe a wall built a while ago, but not extended along to the properties in the foreground.

I think the rest of them don't have any wall; I suspect the lady on the teev this morning was one of those....blaming the Council.