Lending to a SMSF

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by MBowen, 13th Sep, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. MBowen

MBowen Active Member

Hi everybody. I'm looking at buying a property outright with my SMSF, unfortunately I'm about 10k short of having enough. Apparently I can lend to my SMSF and it pays me back as long as the interest rate is reasonable and it is Principal and interest. Is this true? How would I organise it through an accountant?

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Yes

But it is going to be very expensive to set up for such a small amount.

You need to see a lawyer for the loan set up, but see a financial planner for some other strategies.

3. Foxdan

Foxdan Well-Known Member

If you have enough money in your SMSF to buy a property outright, why not use it for several large deposits and loan the remainder? With large deposits, you would potentially have multiple cash flow positive properties. Set it up and let it look after itself til your retire.
    Use leverage instead of using all your SMSF cash on one property.

Ethan Timor and Terry_w like this.
  4. JacM

JacM VIC Buyer's Agent - Melbourne, Geelong, Ballarat Business Member

Hi @MBowen

If your SMSF is only $10k short, wouldn't it just be easier to make a non-concessional (ie after tax) contribution? In other words, wouldn't it just be easier to donate $10k into the SMSF ? Alternatively, if you haven't found the precise property, perhaps doing some rapid extra salary sacrificing in via concessional contributions, being aware of the cap limits. Contribution caps | Australian Taxation Office

TwoDogs and Brady like this.
  5. Corey Batt

Corey Batt Well-Known Member

That's where my line of thought is too - no point spending effectively 50% of the 'borrowed' amount in fees when you could do a contribution. Get some specific advice for your exact numbers, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if it's a lot more effective use of your funds.

Be very very careful with committing all your cash funds within the SMSF to the one asset, there's no going back from this via equity release so it may be more prudent to gear on the asset and open up the potential to get into multiple purchases/other asset classes, depending on your age, objectives etc.

Colin Rice and JacM like this.
  6. Redwood

Redwood Well-Known Member

G'day

Best way will be a contribution wither concessional or non concessional. If you are purchasing with cash outright and not under a LRBA - a related party loan will not work.

Cheers Ivan

JohnPropChat likes this.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia