Lender borrowing limits

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by JamesC, 15th Feb, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. JamesC

JamesC Well-Known Member

Are you aware of what your maximum borrowing limit will be with the various lenders?
    If you reach the limit with a lender, what's plan B?

2. Tony Xia

Tony Xia Structured Loan Advisor Business Member

Plan B is to go to another lender that will give you more money.

Different lenders have different borrowing criteria.

3. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Plan C is to plan ahead before hitting capacity

Plan D is to consider teaming up with others - potentially risky though

Plan E is to perhaps wait and while waiting start paying down debt and improving income

4. Lindsay_W

Lindsay_W Well-Known Member

Plan A should be - speak to a decent mortgage broker and ask them to map out a strategy that shows you what lenders to use in which order and how many properties this will allow you to purchase

5. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

Plan be is realizing that you will hit a borrowing limit at some point, so come up with investment strategies that either pay down debt or don't require lending.

6. Marty McDonald

Marty McDonald Mortgage broker Business Member

I don’t really do that anymore. Too many variables. Apra and lenders policy changes, client situations change too. I prefer to do more high level DTI type analysis to see what’s likely to be possible in the future in terms of total loans with total incomes.

Redom likes this.
  7. Lindsay_W

Interesting, I do it fairly regularly for investors who are seriously looking to build a portfolio in a reasonably quick time frame. High level talks are ok as a starting point but when wanting to take action having a plan of attack is important, optimising the strategy is too, consideration needs to be made on lender choice and order, which can be modified as necessary.
    Each to their own

Last edited: 16th Feb, 2022
  8. Marty McDonald

Obviously if someone wants a plan to buy 2 or 3 IP's in quick succession and they know the type of property and rents etc sure

9. Lindsay_W

Even if it's not in quick succession, best to start with a plan and modify in regard to any lending changes as necessary. Failing to plan, is planning to fail.

10. Marty McDonald

Lets agree to disagree Lindsay. What I meant was I don't pick lenders 2-3 years ahead. I look at the modelled future DTI to form an opinion on what's feasible and what type of lenders will be suitable at each step

Lindsay_W likes this.
  11. Lindsay_W

You do you Marty ;) makes sense, you know what works best for you and your clients

Last edited: 4th Mar, 2022
  12. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

Back in 2015 I could put together a plan of how to organise lending for investment. Then APRA became a thing. Today we still plan ahead, but they're very general in nature. I know how the environment looks today and at this point I don't think there will be massive changes going forward, but that's not something you can rely on absolutely.

If servicing is tight for someone right now, it's not going to magically improve. Rates will increase which will erode serviceability. Living expenses are problably going to increase which has the same effect. People might argue that rents are also rising, but realistically an increase in rents has only a negligible effect on borrowing power. It's not going to get you into another property is you're already scraping your limits.

Forward planning is always important, but it's not possible to make a concrete plan. Any plan put in place needs to be constantly reviewed and updated. You can't make a plan today and simply assume that it will be good in a year or two.

Marty McDonald and Redom like this.
  13. Lindsay_W

Agreed, even pre-apra any plan for clients was reviewed every 6 months or as necessary in regard to changes in incomes, lender policy etc.