Legal? - QLD forced quarantine (jail/house arrest) will start charging Aussies $2800

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by coins, 18th Jun, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Mat

Mat Well-Known Member

No, we have hotel quarantine in QLD for all international arrivals, all arrivals from Victoria, and anyone who has had symptoms in the past 14 days or a positive test. Anyone else is just required to keep records of anyone they have close contact with for two weeks. Near as I can tell though, NSW and QLD use Police to enforce quarantine at the hotels.

2. craigc

craigc Well-Known Member

Hope you weren't getting too ‘Social’ with the Vic security guards whilst in quarantine Mike! :p

Seriously though, the Vic handling has been a complete debacle & a terrible own goal, glad all is ok for our PC members that have safely completed quarantine.

Mike A likes this.
  3. coins

coins Well-Known Member

Wow, the Aussie government has shafted their citizens even more. If someone has a flight booked into a non-paying quarantine state like Sydney, they can divert the aircraft to a paying quarantine state and force you to pay for it! Just as you can imagine, there are a lot of angry Aussies on that Twitter post.

From SmartTraveller: https://twitter.com/Smartraveller/status/1280450345194229760

Due to caps on international passenger # in some states, flights home to
    Australia may be diverted to another city or cancelled. You may also have to pay for quarantine. Check your travel plans with your airline or travel agent and follow state government for updates. #beinformed #beprepared

4. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

It's got nothing to do with directing people to paying states over non-paying states and everything to do with resource management.

There are a finite number of police and medical staff available to manage the quarantine hotels in NSW, and the fact is that the vast majority of inbound flights to Australia are landing in Sydney right now - and the number of inbound passengers has been increasing.

I believe inbound passengers into Sydney were approaching 1,000 per day - there simply isn't enough resources to keep them all in a quarantine hotel for 14 days at that rate.

It makes sense for the states to cap inbound numbers to keep the number of people in quarantine at a manageable level.

The redirections would only take place based on already booked flights which exceed the cap - it would be a temporary thing until the airlines can rebalance their flight destinations to limit how many people get sent to a particular city.

It's not about forcing you to pay.

Westminster and thatbum like this.
  5. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Its not a conspiracy and the few keyboard warriors on twitter are just ranting and most wont admit their full story being they made choices not to come home when instructed in mid March. . They had months to come back and knew it was a global pandemic and now flights are reduced they want to further whinge. Suck it up sooks they are starting to sound like Americans who bang on about rights etc . Its state and commonwealth law enforcement (yes laws) intended to support health and medical outcomes to avoid deaths and reduce economic impacts.

Personally I feel that the funded quarantine has been too long. Not from a financial issue but what appears a never ending bunch of ever increasingly ungrateful people who increasingly even refuse testing. Quarantine works, as indicated by the cases detected but perhaps its time for some responsibility and personal accountability. Its about time all arrivals started to pay for their choice OR stay where they are. I believe its up for review at todays meeting between the PM and states. Review likely means NOT an increase and positive cases means quarantine wont stop soon. . NZ just slashed its arrivals quota to cope too.

Simon Hampel, Joynz, skater and 2 others like this.
  6. coins

coins Well-Known Member

What about people that couldn't get back like ome of the people on this thread who couldn't get back: Australia starts making travellers pay for 14-day hotel quarantine

Examples:

And this is by someone who's working as part of the quarantine process saying how bad conditions are, just posted 29th June:

7. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

We have close family in Victoria. If we have to visit in an emergency, we will have to enter 14 day hotel quarantine on our return to Queensland. Paid for by us. And no guarantee we would even be allowed to go.

It is what it is. And it may well get worse.

8. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Sucks to be them. Why is there always someone who wants it their way ? Let it go elsa.

punti and Joynz like this.
  9. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Such an absurd quantum leap in logic.

10. Noobieboy

Noobieboy Well-Known Member

... I don’t know. Because people are entitled to something? When I read posts like these,I die a little bit inside.

11. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

Stoffo, Marg4000 and Joynz like this.
  12. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Not really. The warnings to come home were more recent than that - maybe 4 months. But I still think it’s fair enough that people pay.

spludgey likes this.
  13. skater

skater Well-Known Member

The whole thing sucks, but it's something we all have to live with, and I don't think it's fair that the Government, or should I say taxpayer, funds the quarantine. I've got a daughter in Melbourne about to have a baby, and I'm not allowed to visit. If by some chance we do get to go, we'll have to quarantine when we come home. It is, what it is.

qak, punti, Marg4000 and 1 other person like this.
  14. coins

coins Well-Known Member

Talking about what's not fair, why the hell is Dannii Minogue and her son allowed to bypass mandatory hotel quarantine and quarantine at her home, therefore saving $2,800 of her money, or $5,600 actually as there's two of them? This is absolutely sickening of the double standards. Makes you wonder who she had to bribe and how much were her bribes not to stay in hotel quarantine.

Dannii Minogue creates Twitter debate after dodging hotel quarantine

In that article apparently Kerry Stokes bypassed hotel quarantine too.

On the other hand average people have to do hotel quarantine when they are critically ill and their doctor's advise against hotel quarantine: 'I cannot eat': Man recovering from cancer surgery in hotel quarantine, against medical advice

Simon, you mentioned your wife is one of the people managing the quarantine process. Does she know who the higher ups are involved in taking bribes etc. so famous people can bypass hotel quarantine and how much and/or what bribes are involved?

Last edited: 14th Jul, 2020
    spludgey, wylie and Stoffo like this.
  15. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Did you not read the article you linked? It is explained there.

I’m not happy about it either - but there were no bribes.

I hate the way sports stars and celebrities are treated differently to the rest of us though...

16. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Last night I was pretty ticked off about it too but when the paper posted the conditions which apply I was satisfied that it's not preferential treatment.

She ain't getting off lightly, has to pay for her security 24/7 X 14 days even at $1000/day it's $14k (there will be at least one guard for one person unlike at the quarantine hotels - 1 or 2 per floor for several occupants). Also needs to pay for her testing which is free for other detainees. Meals etc, room service? Non-existent.

The health bod is able to use their discretion in Qld and has exercised their duty - no bribes. Probably not the same laws apply in NSW.