QLD Legal Height SE QLD

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by MrsNixba, 28th Aug, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. MrsNixba

MrsNixba Well-Known Member

Are people considering this when buying in Logan and surrounds? Or is it not a primary concern?

Gives potential for dual occ - have people got stories on ways they've achieved this - is it worthwhile?

@Nixba and I have recently purchased a 3,1,1 house on a large block that's just under legal height by about a foot - would you dig down to get the lower level in? Or just use the large block to put a granny flat out the back instead?

So much potential - but my fear with QLD is always oversupply... why would somebody rent what is effectively a basement when they can rent a whole house for similar money and still retain their privacy?

2. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Hey @MrsNixba , some QLDers are highset for a reason. Plenty of people got in trouble with their developed downstairs areas after the floods.
    And insurance no likey.

Perp likes this.
  3. MrsNixba

Thanks @Azazel - I can see the topic has been touched on a bit through the forum, but always as an incidental conversation to something else.
    Obviously I have a lot more homework to do, but I'm thinking the idea isn't all it's cracked up to be!

4. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

If you've already bought somewhere, there's no harm in doing the research.
    Hopefully you investigated the flood maps etc?

Sackie likes this.
  5. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Not sure of the specifics, but I don't think you'd be able to just dig down, the support posts would be exposed or stick out...
    It should be more straight forward to get the house raised to legal height.

MrsNixba likes this.
  6. MrsNixba

@Azazel - Yeah the flood thing is fine - all the other houses in the street are already done. Ours is one of the last still standing above the ground. To be honest, adding in a second occ below was never a question until the PM started carrying on about 'potential' and pointing at all the neighbours - but seeing as she would benefit from a higher rental income on the property I took it with a grain of salt. Just got me thinking about something I hadn't previously considered.

7. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

It's possible, it could also make sense to increase the rent in the future by raising it to create a real garage, an extra bedroom and a rumpus/living area and/or another bathroom.
    But the demographics would have to drive your decision, not the other way around eg. make sure it's what people want and are willing to pay for.

MrsNixba and Sackie like this.
  8. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I agree. This is so important - to understand the demographics of the area you are considering, imo.

MrsNixba likes this.
  9. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Yeah, considering it's Logan, it might make more sense to create a dual occupancy than a single big upstairs/downstairs house with rent that no one can afford. But you would have to do the research.

Sackie likes this.
  10. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

A little off topic but Look at the demographics for this suburb in Sydney. After one glance it would seem pretty obvious to me what dwelling type to be buying into, imo. It answers the questions often asked "should I be buying a house or unit etc in so and so suburb"

demo.PNG

Azazel and MrsNixba like this.
  11. Rich2011

Rich2011 Well-Known Member

In Logan nothing much to rent at $250 a week or under (it would be a very average 2 bed flat, I spoke to one couple yesterday paying $350 a week for a 2 bed 'flat' from a converted house) so I think a new 2 bed granny flat would get $300 a week with half decent tenants. Not sure I'd be lifting or digging below a highset to get it to legal height, I'd think a granny flat would be better if the block is suitable.

MrsNixba likes this.
  12. Special order

Special order Well-Known Member

This is the best answer in this thread

Get yourself a decent pm do your research and it's obvious the answers.

Lots of investors on here with stock in Logan achieving premium returns with non legal height highsets. They are the ones you want to talk to and get advice off

13. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

I didn't know we were getting rated, I'll try harder next time }:>(

Phantom likes this.
  14. Samten

Samten Well-Known Member

Yeah bit like my school reports ......Could try harder :)

Azazel likes this.