Leave or demolish the bath

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Scandi, 5th Jun, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Scandi

Scandi New Member

Hi,

I have a question regarding renovating a bathroom in our Melbourne apartment. It’s our PPOR but we aren’t looking to stay long term. Unsure if it will be turned into an IP or sold off to buy something else so we want to make the Reno cost effective, practical and good for resale / equity. There is currently a bath, shower, vanity and laundry trough but we were thinking either go shower over bath and add in a euro laundry for storage and cupboard space or loose the bath, have a bigger shower and still go with the euro laundry? Any ideas for which way to go on this?!

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Even a bath over the shower is better than no bath. This is a must for families with small kids.

Christina46 likes this.
  3. chylld

chylld Well-Known Member

This is exactly what we did... our laundry used to be part of the kitchen area, so as part of our kitchen renos we converted the main shower in our largest bathroom to a euro laundry - there was already a shower head above the bath.

No shower screen though - want to install an Outasight unit but they don't ship to AU
    Untitled.jpg

4. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Is there any room to move the euro laundry into kitchen?

Check your state's regulations but you might be able to keep a separate shower and bath if you could reduce the footprint of the washing cupboard. A trough is not required in all states so you could just stack a washer dryer in a cupboard in a single stack and plumb it to the vanity

Ideas

[​IMG]

Otherwise if there is more than 2 bedrooms in the house then I think a shower over bath is acceptable if you can't have both

5. chylld

chylld Well-Known Member

Is one required in NSW?

6. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

I know in WA the Health Act requires us to have a trough/vessel which can hold min 36 litres so I have successfully found very attractive large basin that can do duty as basin and trough. For example Composite Single Butler Sink NO Waste/Plug

Unfortunately in WA the same act also forbids putting the washer in a kitchen which is a shame. People still do it via renovations etc but if you are putting in a building permit then it will be refused.

chylld likes this.
  7. housechopper2

housechopper2 Well-Known Member

I'd laugh loose the bath and put in an oversized shower.

The old 'must have a bath for kids' argument doesn't resonate for apartments as much as houses.

Joynz likes this.
  8. chylld

chylld Well-Known Member

If I were to move back into my last apartment with my 10 month old, the only places I can bathe him are in the bathtub and on the balcony. The amount of water he splashes out of his mini bath makes anywhere else unviable :rolleyes:

9. housechopper2

housechopper2 Well-Known Member

IMG_8964.JPG
    I assume there's a reason why you moved out of the apartment in the first place? (Kinda my point)

Plus the attached tubs fit perfectly in an oversized frameless shower.

10. chylld

chylld Well-Known Member

That was my point - whether in an apartment or a house, I want to bathe my kid in a bathtub. Retaining a bathtub resonates for me as much in an apartment as it does in a house.

We originally considered bathing bub in the shower in something like this, but our showers are normal size and it's really cramped with his mini bath in there. Good idea for oversized showers, but I'd still want an option for him to bath normally when he outgrows the mini bath.

WattleIdo likes this.
  11. Scandi

Scandi New Member

Thanks everyone for your replies! We do have room for both the bath and a shower, I just think it overcrowded the space so I would prefer one or the other depending on which is the best fit? I sort of assumed the bath wasn’t a deal breaker in an apartment but I could be wrong?! We would also have scope to have a euro laundry in the kitchen as it is a large space which we also intend to Reno down the track so that could also work. So many ideas and options, how do you choose the right one?!