Leaking Tap - Tile Cutting Required?

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by Frosty123, 28th Sep, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Frosty123

Frosty123 Well-Known Member

Hi all,

I've been told by my tenants that the laundry tap is leaking. Had a plumber out and was told the following:

'Inspected laundry and found a crack in the seat whereby it looks to be fairly deep indicating that we
    will have to replace laundry combo. To do this we need to cut tiles to expose combo and replace with new one.
    Note: We can try to reseat and service the laundry taps as a first attempt, if this does not fix the issue then the quote will be the next step. If it holds than great we will see how far we can stretch the life of the breech.'

I'm obviously no plumber, but I thought that if it is just leaking from the spout of the tap, that the copper breech wouldn't need to be replaced. Just a re-seat and O ring replacement. I've been quoted $600 which doesn't include waterproofing or re-tiling.

Will probably get another quote to make sure, but just wanted to check if anyone here could provide any information too.

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. marmot

marmot Well-Known Member

Dont forget to add the call out fee for diagnostic work already done, if you decide to go with another plumber.

3. robboat

robboat Well-Known Member

$600 is average for a full tap set replacement.
    You may get lucky and the plumber has used these...can make it work until you do a full bath reno....
    Kinetic 12mm Push In Tap Seats - 2 Pack
    or
    HydroSeal Tap Seat Replacement Kit

Also - use the tap washers with a larger "O" ring...Hydroseal I think they are called. Less plumber call outs for leaking taps...
    Good luck....;)

Last edited: 28th Sep, 2018
    Stoffo likes this.
  4. willy1111

willy1111 Well-Known Member

Experienced a similar thing earlier this year with a property built early 90's on a shower tap.

Taking out the seat, the crack in the breech was about 3-4mm, plumber tried wrapping the tape around the seat, putting it back in and see if the tape would fill the gap. It slowed the leak down, left it for a weak but still dripping, left it a bit longer but still not stop dripping.

To get access to put a new breech in had to chip tiles out of shower and get a handyman to retile after he was done.

Think it was around $1k for plumber and handyman to fix.

5. Frosty123

Frosty123 Well-Known Member

Thanks. I think we have the exact same issue. Good to know the cost will be quite close to that (assuming the tiling will be <= $400)

6. CowPat

CowPat Well-Known Member

you and your tenant have caused this by not fixing the leak in a timely manner

it's probably been leaking for months or years on end

the plumber sounds very professional and $600 for a breach replace is a great price 20180917_133927.jpg

7. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Diagnosed in point 1, you might get away with point 2 if there's no serious crack but it won't be long from requiring replacement. If they try to reseat, the crack may open up anyway.

Point 3 - yup, you're not a plumber

8. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

Call your insurance company. Any leaking pipe/breach behind the wall is generally covered. U usually just have to pay for the repair to the breach and then they usually pay to fix the investigative and resulting damage (waterproofing/tiling etc)

9. marmot

marmot Well-Known Member

Check your excess as well , if you have a $500 excess it might not be worthwhile.

10. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

The plumber is already at $600, add waterproofing and tiler (or handyman) and you're more than covered.

11. marmot

marmot Well-Known Member

Sorry I thought the previous post said insurance wont pay for the breach repair but will pay for subsequent damage, waterproofing tiling etc.
    Although as soon as insurance is mentioned everything normally goes up in price.

12. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

You might get your whole bath retiled if insurance are covering, as to waterproof properly you can't have sections replaced, you need a seamless barrier

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia