Leaking from upper unit

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by EN710, 14th Jan, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

Water is dripping fro unit above us into our bathroom.

What do I do? who to contact? It's relatively new unit, I.e. 2 years old so can I still claim it under warranty? :oops:

2. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Talk to strata asap

EN710 likes this.
  3. datto

datto Well-Known Member

I mentioned this before. My 35 year old unit had same problem except my bath drain was leaking into unit below. Strata sent plumber who identified where leak was coming from. I was responsible to rectify (with bubblegum lol)

balwoges and EN710 like this.
  4. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

Unit above is rented out, but hopefully locating the owner is not difficult ... As long as they're not overseas

5. No Probs

No Probs Well-Known Member

Contact strata who will then contact realestate/owner (who ever is their point of contact), it's their responbility to rectify the leak from their property, they will also need to repair any damage to your property.

6. datto

datto Well-Known Member

My unit is rented out as well. Strata contacted me and informed me of the problem. Even if owner is overseas they'll work something out.

7. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

That's what happens when you have a leak in the bath.

EN710, balwoges and datto like this.
  8. Chilliblue

Chilliblue Well-Known Member

If you are leasing then place the concern in writing to your managing agent.

If you own, the write to the strata management and executive committee with as much detail as possible (include pics) and request that the matter be attended.

If nothing heard back in a week, write back and again formally request action until something is done.

It will be up to the strata plan to rectify the problem but you may be responsible as an owner to repaint and rectify any damage to your lot.

EN710 likes this.
  9. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

Thanks all

@Chilliblue we are owner occupier :oops:
    I have lodged a repair request through the system last night when we see the leak. I hope they'll attend it quickly. Once the issue is solver will look for someone to redo the paint etc.

10. Gingin

Gingin Well-Known Member

Incorrect. If the above bathroom is in as installed condition. Strata is completely responsible.

If renovated above lot owner is responsible for fix and strata for transferring across slab.

In no circumstance are you expected to foot repair.

My experiance is to engage a cost engineer / loss adjuster and claim against stratus insurance. You will have to pay for the paint though. Your 2 old ceilings can be claimed as a replacement.

11. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

All fixed by the builder :)

I lodged a request through the strata system, the builder people show up to assess, when out to fix the unit above and come back to repaint our ceiling

Chilliblue and Gingin like this.
  12. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Good stuff EN.

So it looks like strata ripped me off by having me do/pay for the repairs ?

13. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

I think it's because we still have builder warranty? The strata also going to get the builder to fix all defects on common area which they haven't done o_O it's costing us bazillion on strata fees. Upon inspection tonight, I can still see some old water marks seeping through paint, so only time will tell if they really fix the issue upstairs. They have got new building coming up next door, so ... Not running away for a while

datto likes this.
  14. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Yeah my building was built in the 70s. I don't think there was any warranty back then or for that matter licenced builders.

EN710 likes this.
  15. Gingin

Gingin Well-Known Member

Funnily enough strata is responsible for original, no sunset clause. My place is a sixties block. I renovated and relined all my ceilings. 3 months after renovating, upstairs leaked. They refused repair, I got a loss report, threatened to sue. Got a new ceiling via strata insurance. Upstairs paid the excess.

16. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Water leaks are bloody hard to paint over. The stains just keep coming back till its fixed. You'll know for sure soon.

17. VB King

VB King Well-Known Member

We had similar, it took a year to sort. The leak was caused by the unit above tiling over the existing floor tiles & the floor waste not being perfectly water tight so a fairly intermittent leak. Reno on the cheap.
    You will have to "motivate" strata to get a plumber upstairs to identify & rectify.
    It will either be a strata issue or the owner upstairs. Not yours. The only urgency will be on your part so make sure you get timely action.
    By the time ours finished fiddling, we needed a new ceiling in the bathroom - we had a very understanding tenant thank god.

EN710 likes this.
  18. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

You need to use a bleed sealer. That'll stop the staining dead in its tracks.

EN710 likes this.
  19. Chilliblue

Chilliblue Well-Known Member

Not true and it always pays to read the Strata Plan before making any assumptions

20. Gingin

Gingin Well-Known Member

So the strata plan would say something along the lines of upstairs is leaking.... Too bad? Consequential damage comes into legal framework . This takes it to a petty claims dispute. The loss by the party has a fair claim to restitution. Again if you are experiencing water ingress from above, notify strata, establish a diary of phone calls , trades and other communications. Actively try to resolve. If this loses traction, let strata know that you will be engaging a loss adjuster/ quantity surveyor to assess the damage( your agent, not insurers). You will find strata's insurance quick to play ball. You are entitled to replacement if the lifespan of a product is diminished.

EN710 likes this.