Lawn repair - Recommendations

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by neK, 8th Sep, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Samten

Samten Well-Known Member

Spray first, leave for at least 2 weeks to check kill rate, rotary hoe to aerate soil, level, lay turf, water. Have a cold drink!

2. turk

turk Well-Known Member

Artificial turf?

3. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

Thanks. Natural turf is what I want. See the pictures attached. So I should spray before mowing or just leave it to die? Also in the backyard where we hang clothes we want to leave an area along the fence for vege patch. I suppose I can't spray the area I want to grow vegetables ay?

Attached Files:

4. larrylarry

What brand of weed killer spray should I get? Hopefully I don't end up killing small fruit trees. ;) what turf would you recommend @Samten

5. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

Sorry to hijack but this is a very timely thread :)

I've got about 50m2 out the front that's pretty much compacted dirt with clumps of grass/moss. The big oak trees zap all the nutrients.

Can I simply just turn over the soil with a pick/rake, spread some cow poo, lay some seed and water like crazy?

Please say yes - because I've just spent three hours digging it all up. I'm knackered!

6. larrylarry

Haaaaaaa I thought I'd better ask before I do something. Come on landscapers!

7. magpieseason

magpieseason Well-Known Member

Larry, your front garden is cute as, love the roses on a standard and the hedges . Sir walter buffalo is prob best allergy free and non itchy.

Spray the area, turn over by rotary hoe or hand with a matic. Then level a bit of topsoil, turf and fertalise.

For the vege garden spray roundup or zero on the area . Its safe, by law the chemical has to breakdown within 14 days .

Last edited: 13th Sep, 2015
  8. neK

neK Well-Known Member

This is why i pay someone to do that instead :p
    I'm knackered from just mowing the lawn and applying fertiliser.... gardener wasn't available at such short notice to mow the lawn.... lazy ass tenants!

9. larrylarry

Thanks!

10. Samten

Samten Well-Known Member

Any Glyphosate type spray will do the commercial name of one is Roundup by Monsanto. You can buy premixed stuff or full strength and add water in your own sprayer. DO NOT spray on a windy day as overspray travels a long way and you may kill your neighbours tomatoes!! Only spray on the foliage of plants/weeds that you want to kill, if you accidently get it on the trunk of your fruit trees they will be fine but if you get it on the leaves either wash immediately with water or pick the affected leaves and discard. Garden areas are fine it doesn't affect the soil and only works on the foliage/leaves of plants, it is pretty well neutralised when it hits the soil, but best to leave for about 14 days prior to planting. As for turf it depends, Buffalos are popular or Kykuyu, where in Aust is property, how much sun does the turf get, what sort of traffic will it have.

11. Samten

Samten Well-Known Member

OK Yes..... but really nah! If you have fairly large Oak trees you can forget about growing grass under them, it aint gunna happen sorry. 1.they provide too much shade, grass needs a certain amount of sunshine to grow.2. You are right they suck all the nutrients cos they are bigger.3. They drop a sticky residue that kills grass. I would suggest some form of much either woodchip or pea straw. Or maybe a ground cover plant, hard to know can you post pics. Laying seed wiil just give the birds a feed and it won't survive anyway. Sorry to give you that news but by now you have probably had a bath or shower to ease those muscles and a drink to reward yourself for all your hard work.

WestOz and Jamie Moore like this.
  12. Jamie Moore

I prefer to do it myself - I enjoy getting out in the fresh air and seeing the results (although I might not see anything!). It was a nice day - listened to a couple of podcasts, got in some exercise and roped the kids in to help.

13. Jamie Moore

haha - all good. It's my fault for not asking beforehand.

I still have a glimmer of hope. All the neighbours said the old owner had an immaculate lawn for years so it seems possible - just might require a fair bit of maintenance. The house a couple of doors down has a nice lawn and they've got the same oak trees so I'm holding on to the dream :) In reality though - my front yard will probably just be a mud pile this spring/summer.

Cheers

Jamie

14. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

@Jamie Moore +1 to @Samten
    In the described situation I'd forget about grass, allot of frustration, water, fertiliser etc.
    I'd mulch.

"If required" to hold it in place I'd box up a garden bed retainer out of sleepers, logs, corrugated iron (for straight-lines), rocks, whatever (for curves/contours) in the min areas around the tree's canopy, plus wherever it doesn't get at-least a few hours sun a day.

If there's not allot of leaf litter from the trees for mulch check price for a truck load from tree loppers.

There are some low maint plants/trees that would survive under the trees, have a look at what's in the local area in similar situation, ask the local garden centre gurus.
    If not far from some stables you could possible get horse manure for free, best if its composted for min 6weeks.

You could add some features, i.e. large but manually handled rocks, an old wheel barrow, bench to sit on, bird bath, section of picket fencing across the front etc (just ideas).