Lawn Care

Discussion in 'Landscaping' started by Darcy Tan, 8th Jul, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Darcy Tan

Darcy Tan Member

How is your lawn keeping up this winter? Half of my lawn went dormant or dead. Any advice or ideas? Also wonder what kind of grass is that?

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Friends recommends spreading this product around the lawn. She mentions that I don't even need to dig up anything, just spread them on top of the existing dead grass. Is this a good idea?

Brunnings Kikuyu Lawn Seed Blend 1kg | BIG W

2. Maplesmatta

Maplesmatta Active Member

My guess is cooch maybe fine leaf Kikuya .Does it have runners?

Kikuyu grass is renowned for its rapid green growth, drought hardiness, resistance to wear.

Couch also has low requirements for watering and fertiliser.

I would oversow with the correct grass seed

3. standtall

standtall Well-Known Member

Looks like you have drainage issues in your yard. Don’t reseed it, just fertilIze it and mow it every 2-3 weeks and it will become thick again by spring time.

Fix drainage if not too much of a pain .. may be it’s a clogged AG pipe or storm water not working well.

Stoffo likes this.
  4. Maplesmatta

Could be buffalo also, because alot gets laid in aus.

In any case i wouldnt oversow with cheap Kikuya seed because its probably the broadleaf variety

5. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Drainage issue/holding too much water, definantly needs to be addressed first.
    Also looks to be shadowed....
    Throwing a heap of seed down may make it look good in a few months, but the water retention will remain an issue

6. Seb_W

Seb_W Active Member

Theres nothing worse than trying to seed with a different variety of grass. You wont be happy with the results...

From the looks of it, the lawn needs a fair bit of attention to fix. Id start with the soil - unpack and loosen, condition and then feed and water the lawn. As we head into spring, you want to make sure your lawn is as ready as it can be to grow

Tyla likes this.
  7. Darcy Tan

Darcy Tan Member

Thanks all for your responses.

It does have runners. Is that cooch? I saw the seed for this variety from Bunning. Is late winter the best time to oversow this type of grass?

I fertillized at the beginning of winter and it doesn't help much. Wonder whether it is too difficult for me? Do I just dig the soil up to see any broken water pipe below? Or should I need to engage professional tradies? If so, what type tradies would work on this (landscaper or plumber)?

8. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Doubt it's a broken pipe
    It looks like it slopes to this low lying spot, so water looks to be pooling with no drainage for any rain, it doesn't help that it is shadowed by the building in winter.
    Only winter grass grows well at this time of year, most buffalo go dormant and die back.
    A pic of the larger area would help.

You could pick up a pitch fork and aerate the area (piercing down 3-4 inches every inch of the area to help dry it out).

You could top dress the area (building it up so the water runs onto the path) or sort some form of drainage for the area.

Oversowing the area may work, but it is still a bit cold and not enough sun for the seed to take properly.

9. Darcy Tan

Darcy Tan Member

Your comment is spot on. It is the area next to the alfresco so might be ruined because of the water from the alfresco roof.

Here is the picture of the whole area. The grass in the red area is completely dead while the grass in the light blue area is dormant if not dead.
    IMG-9359-LI
    I will try to aerate the area but let you know the results.

Stoffo likes this.
  10. Maplesmatta

Sorry cant say 100% the type of grass from the pics . Buffalo has runners also.

Does the area thats died back get alot of foot traffic? Some type of path could be good