Laundry Renovation

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Zos, 23rd Jun, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Zos

Zos Active Member

I want to undertake a laundry renovation in the near future and wanted some opinions.

What do people prefer, wall mounted taps or a Mixer installed on the sink? Currently my taps and faucet exit out of the wall so was thinking just update them and drop a nice stainless steel sink into a granite bench top. Bench top will be wall to wall and will probably just get some ikea cabinets and run them along the base and also run them along the wall. Doors might get made up or use Ikea ones.

The only other thing would be to relocate the water taps for the washing machine so they are not in view. As it is now they would be sitting in between the bench top and the wall cabinets. Would look much nicer if they were out if view?

Leaving them wall mounted will save work and time. But if it makes a big difference I would do the extra work and convert it to a mixer sitting on the sink.

I have attached 2 pictures of what I am talking about.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Brian84

Brian84 Well-Known Member

Mixer on the sink looks better in my opinion. I just renovated my laundry and installed a mixer but with the tap that has a hose so you can pull the tap out upto 1m I think.

3. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

i prefer top sink with bottom taps. a mixer reminds me of a kitchen. the ldy is a work area that needs to look like it means business.
    if you go ikea cabs you might as well get the doors that theyre made for. you can always get handles elsewhere.

ikea has some clever gear so worth a look. you can play online with their builder thing

4. Zos

Zos Active Member

Not sure I completely understand

Do you mean faucet running from wall and taps on bench top?

I just wanted to make sure there was no best way of having the configuration looks like it all comes down to personal preference. I might just leave the plumbing as is. I initialy wanted the mixer on sink. But after several looks at the wall taps it does not look that bad actually.

bob shovel likes this.
  5. Hanison

Hanison Well-Known Member

Mixer on the sink or bench top.

Taps on the wall like in the second photo. To me, look outdated.

6. Travelbug

Travelbug Well-Known Member

We put a mixer tap in. We bought the cabinets from our kitchen maker. I put in a one drain kitchen sink as I wanted a drain to put rinsed clothes. So yes it looks like a kitchen (actually it matches my kitchen). I don't do much hand washing so suits me.

7. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

top photo sink
    bottom photo taps
    good choice

8. Hodor

Hodor Well-Known Member

Clean and functional design. Possibly like the top one best.

What happens if you update your washer drier to different sizes? Lacks flexibility there would be my only concern

9. AaronR

AaronR Well-Known Member