Latest interstate migration data

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by icic, 10th Mar, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. icic

icic Well-Known Member

Hey all, I am straggling to find any up-to-date statistics on interstate migration, all I could find is something 6 months ago, surely there would be more recent data that I can see to latest trend. The reason is that I believe interstate migration is one of the most important factor that drives property boom and burst.

The way I see it is:

good state economy > more jobs > positive interstate migration > property boom.

Any recent data on interstate migration will be much appreciated.

2. robboat

robboat Well-Known Member

We moved to Fraser Coast for lifestyle earlier this year and are loving it......maybe the "honeymoon" period?..:)
    Fixing up an old house we have had rented here....

There is some early research and anecdotal evidence of a shift in migration to here.
    See the link:
    MACQUARIE: People moving to Queensland from Sydney and Melbourne may be a cure for the housing market

The real problem for Qld seems to be the financial drag from decaying coal exports & future prospects coupled with local and state governments with few ideas and even less action.
    And one hell of a drought......!!!! Large areas of the state are now drought declared - even Fraser Coast

3. Propertyman

Propertyman Well-Known Member

The most recent data (from the ABS) is for June 2016 and was released in December 2016. The September 2016 numbers come out on March 23rd

4. teetotal

teetotal Well-Known Member

ABS has started to release recent 2016 census results from this month.

Have a look in the calendar below and you can find when is your required data due to be released -
    ABS Release Calendar

ellejay likes this.
  5. 3rd Drop

3rd Drop Well-Known Member

This is what I have seen recently.

Attached Files:

6. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Interesting...last time this happened...Qld took off...agree that the end is near for the Sydney boom...

EN710 likes this.
  7. icic

icic Well-Known Member

Thanks @teetotal, looks like we will see up to the end of last year by 30th of this month. I do wish you are right @sash, I am investing base on that assumption too : )

8. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

But Melbourne is still number 1 for immigration.

Also, for QLD to boom you need jobs

Chris_R and Realist35 like this.
  9. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

You have to stop spreading this message. Those that are buying in Queensland don't care. Their buying anyhow, or have bought years ago still waiting for a boom. Totally agree with you though

Realist35 likes this.
  10. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

what message is that?

sometimes people want to shoot the messenger because they don't like the message, happens all the time, its a forum.

I still prefer Melb over Brissy... but I may change my mind :)

Last edited: 14th Mar, 2017
    JohnPropChat likes this.
  11. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

I mean Queensland needs jobs first to get good growth. People are buying regardless. They might prove us wrong.

12. big max

big max Well-Known Member

QLD has the jobs, especially Gold Coast. Absolutely booming, and lowest unemployment in QLD.

13. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I only buy when I see stock tightening otherwise its guess work at best. It has to start rising first.

14. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

really, what product is moving?? houses in the main? when you say boom are we talking a Melb/Syd double digit boom. I am surprised media not on this big time and also with the stats. Multiple offers etc. ??

15. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

How's our bet going, mermaid beach?

big max likes this.
  16. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I just had a quick look at Mermaid Beach, OK already can tell just by looking at realestate.com.au that something is up.... lots of auctions and fair few UNDER CONTRACT..... interesting indeed.

Now for the phone calls and moving along folks, will find out what is selling, who is buying and how many days on the market

MTR:)

big max likes this.
  17. big max

I was talking more about the jobs market booming, as opposed to the property market, (but actually is both). Really strong demand for employees on the Gold Coast as the moment, and many people can literally rock up and find a job very quickly.

18. big max

Yep, and look also at the quality of what it being offered for sale - there's really not much on the market at present, so anything that does come up that is half decent gets a lot of interest. Most owners do not want to sell right now, and for a significant % of those that are, its because they want to rebuy something more expensive and/or closer to the beach. Note also, almost everything coming on at Mermaid is now taken to auction (which typically is only done when there is strong demand and competing buyers). Also, some properties are still below their last peaks back in 2008, especially the really high end market. So still a lot up upside if Gold Coast is going to even come close to tracking Sydney gains. And remember, historically Gold Coast has been far far more volatile that Sydney, meaning that when it goes nuts, it goes crazy nuts in very compressed period of time (especially the "in demand" properties, either near the beach or high-end canal facing).

19. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Here is a tip....when the Commonwealth Games go in...6 months before would be the next step for Brissie....

20. Nemo30

Nemo30 Well-Known Member

Property Investors! Ready to Pay Less Tax? Estimate how much Property Depreciation you can claim on your Investment Property. Washington Brown's calculator is the first calculator to draw on real properties to determine an accurate estimate.