Health & Family Lap Band Surgery

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Darlinghurst Boy, 20th Dec, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

That sounds like a healthy lifestyle

Nothing wrong with sucrose either if you are eating a sugar cane

Anything in refined form is unhealthy

2. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

When you think about the human form; we are designed to gather and graze...fruit, vegetables and maybe a bit of meat now and then (if it could be caught) - this is how humans ate thousands of years ago.

Oh; and they walked everywhere too, and only drank water.

Now we do far less of all the above.

JenW likes this.
  3. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Feel free to ignore the bad press about fruit. Consider someone eating 5-6 serves of highly processed sugary junk foods (me), switching to 5-6 serves of fruit every day. I lost a lot of weight. Fruit is good for you.
    When I first cleaned up my eating, I replaced a lot of refined junk with 5-6 serves of fruit every day. It was difficult at first but I soon started to look forward to it. As I got less fat, I scaled back the serves of fruit to 2-4, just because I didn't need to take in so much energy. I reckon fruit and veggies are great. They fill me up but don't account for many calories compared to cake, muffins, chocolates etc.

4. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

This is what Im trying to do too. Realistically, I'm not going to eat, so i try and swap the easy access crap with a piece of fruit (which is equally easy to access, I'm not sure why its difficult for me!)

5. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

I leveraged my inherent desire to do what is easiest. So if I had a pack of biscuits on my desk, I would eat them. If I had nothing, I would go to the shops and buy junk. I organised myself at the start of my week and got enough fruit for a week and put it on my desk. Then I had a choice:
    - eat the fruit on my desk (easy) or
    - find my wallet, go downstairs, walk to the shops, find something to eat, buy it and come back (hard)

I found it wasn't difficult to choose the easy thing to do and it only took a few minutes at the start of the week to set it all up. I also stopped buying junk at the supermarket, which meant not shopping when hungry. By surrounding myself with food I wanted to eat (fresh, healthy) instead of processed junk, I found it easy to make the right choices. I need to do this again next year. I got out of the habit and have been eating more processed food than I want to.

WattleIdo, MTR, wylie and 1 other person like this.
  6. xactly

xactly Well-Known Member

OK, back on topic.

Are you assisting him? or paying the total gap?
    don't pay the total gap. he has to show he has earnt it.

at the very least i would stipulate
    - no alcohol
    - no fizzy drinks
    - regular exercise (personal trainer, whatever,)
    Personally I would get him a fitbit and make him document it online. thus no cheating, you and he will see his effort and commitment over time.

if he cannot afford to chip in at all then let him earn credits with exercise sessions. 30 mins walking minimum= $virtual dollars at a rate you have both agreed on.

It doesn't matter what he does. you are after demonstration of commitment and life change.

if he cannot commit to this regime then he will bail on the post operative care, start blending mars bars and chugging cream. He will have exposed himself to risk without benefit and you will have wasted your money.

Whether a psychiatric disease should be treated with a surgical fix is another discussion entirely!
    Sleeves and bands can go horribly wrong and people have indeed died.

Perthguy and MTR like this.