Health & Family Lap Band Surgery

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Darlinghurst Boy, 20th Dec, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Yes I ate like this for a decade or more. I did eat potatoes and found I needed rice (though I'm not not Asian). Have since 'blown out' and told that legumes, chickpeas etc are no longer suitable but think I'll go back to them and just reduce the intake rather than cut them out altogether. I loved cream too.
    No sugar, no wheat, no flour. Easier that way and feel heaps better.

Beanie Girl and MTR like this.
  2. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

Thanks for sharing @The Y-man . I also find when i cut out carbs and sugar my weight starts to drop off and i feel healthier overall.

A friend of mine has been doing a similar thing to you, a very low carb but high natural fats diet for the last 2 years or so. Ive never seen him healthier, hes the leanest hes been since he was a teenager her reckons, hes 45 or so now. Looks and feels very fit and healthy too.

Re the topic at hand, of course in an ideal situation the cause of the obesity would be targeted instead of going for the lap band. Im sure plenty of people have chosen the easier way out when they probably had it in them to lose the weight conventionally. That being said though i think it can be appropriate in certain circumstances.

If the mindset is worked on and someone starts to also see results from the surgery it coulf help in terms of creating momentum or that person feeling there is light at the end of the tunnel.

3. johnpendlebury

johnpendlebury Well-Known Member

That's basically a Keto Diet. Proven to be very effective. The initial Carb withdrawal phase that lasts about 7-10 days is difficult, but after that it's a breeze.

D.T. likes this.
  4. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Maybe we should share diets, timely now that we are so close to Xmas:p

Beanie Girl and Xenia like this.
  5. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

Great story Y

6. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

I love food too, 2 of my favourite movies are "eat pray love" and "chocolat" both about food. Like money it's there to be enjoyed both when your making it and spending it or eating it.

Alcohol can be there to be enjoyed too, I can always get pleasure out of a drink - my husband just made a pina colada a few mins ago - very nice, a couple of sips was enough though. I have never been drunk, not ever.

As for weight, I heard this great advice lately - how to have a bikini body:

Get a bikin
    Put it on your body
    Go out and enjoy life
    Who cares about other peoples ideals. :cool:

MTR and Beanie Girl like this.
  7. JenW

JenW Well-Known Member

I'm currently watching what I eat. I prefer not to call it a diet, because the D word depresses me :)

Basically, 1600 calories a day, and eating 1-2 green smoothies a day. The first one is always a meal replacement (breakfast); the second is either another meal replacement (dinner) or an afternoon snack. Smoothies are always heavily vegie based - at the moment one smoothie has around 50g spinach and 100-150g celery in it, apart from some token fruit (half a mango or 150g strawberries).

I also go to zumba twice or three times a week (60 minute class, heavily aerobic).

1600 calories probably sounds like a fair whack, but given I'm 175cms tall it's pretty reasonable for someone of my height. (I also have seriously no idea how any woman manages to live on 1200 calories a day without becoming clinically depressed and/or suicidal.)

Over eight weeks I've dropped nearly 6 kilos. I figure that if I can maintain that over Xmas/New Year then I will be happy. If I can then get back on track in 2016 that will be fine with me.

8. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

keep sharing and shedding .... and don't use the D word..lol

Beanie Girl, JenW and Xenia like this.
  9. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

Speaking of this "denial" aspect; many would know that I worked in an ICU for 3 years as a nurses' aide...

Most of the patients were in there for lifestyle related serious health issues; morbildly obese and just obese side effects, Triple "A"s, emphysema, diabetes (amputation of limbs due to blood flow loss to extremities as a result of their disease) liver failure, heart attack, stroke and so on...many preventable but in these cases were a long time of life of neglect.

It was amazing how often the response by both the patients and their families was along the lines of; "OMG! How could this happen?" o_O

Last edited: 21st Dec, 2015
    The Y-man and Beanie Girl like this.
  10. Hodor

Hodor Well-Known Member

I would go the personal trainer and a meal delivery - light and easy type thing as it will be better than their current diet. I know people that have changed their lives doing these things. Your friend can't come up with the motivation internally to solve this problem so will need external help once way or the other. The PT also adds accountability to the package. They need to increase their time moving and improve their diet and those services attack both angles.

I don't believe lap band or other surgeries should be considered until other options have been exhausted.

Beanie Girl likes this.
  11. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

12. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Why Fitness First? Maybe an independent trainer would be better. Research their qualifications and what exactly they have studied too.

13. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

I reckon $7k could buy a decent amount of personal life coach time ;)

14. Perthguy

IMO he needs a shrink, not surgery. I am around 90kg now but was 130kg. I'm 187 cm, so I believe that 130kg would be considered 'obese'. To get me from there to here required an attidude adjustment. It's more mental than physical IMO. Change the mind and the body will follow. What he needs is a good shrink, life coach, mate or someone to help him change his mindset.

MTR and Rixter like this.
  15. Perthguy

Or alternatly, killing them:

The death of a Perth woman nearly two years after a stomach banding operation was likely preventable and highlights the importance of educating doctors about identifying and managing complications from gastric banding, the Deputy State Coroner has found.
    Weight-loss surgery warning

Not our only fatality from gastic banding surgery.

16. Perthguy

I disagree. I was 130 kg, "lost" 40 kg and I have kept it off for 5+ years so far. Sure, 130 kg is a lot less than 160 kg but I did this in my 40's where age was not on my side. This kid is 23. It should be a lot easier for him. If he can change his mindset.

Bran and Xenia like this.
  17. Doncossack

Doncossack Active Member

I have also been eating similar to the Y-man. Definitely the best food related decision I have made.Have broken many PBs this year in swimming and running. I am quicker and fitter at the age of 40 than anytime in my life.

No more bloating after meals, no more "wheat belly", more energy and love eating huge omelets with lots of bacon most days, full fat Greek yogurt, handful of nuts, and massive chicken/fish salads. Good fat is your friend. I am struggling to keep weight on now. No calorie restriction needed!

Also only add a ltitle bit of rice or sweet potatoes straight after strenuous exercise. Use only olive and coconut oil for cooking and salads.

Will never go back to high carbohydrate diet!
    Visit-marksdailyapple.com

158, The Y-man and Perthguy like this.
  18. Tonibell

Tonibell Well-Known Member

Fantastic effort.

So how did you do the "change the mind" bit ? By yourself or with some help ?

Xenia likes this.
  19. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I
    or a girlfriend, this could changes things dramatically

Xenia likes this.
  20. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

That is amazing Perthguy:)

Xenia likes this.