Landlord wants to break lease

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by E.T, 11th Feb, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. E.T

E.T Active Member

I'm renting in Qld and have 3 months to go, the landlord wants to break the lease early and has offered 4 weeks comp but I have declined, now the case is with qcat and the hearing is in a month.

They are claiming financial hardship but as I read the email, they are being relocated for work and want entry to the house because of the catchment area for their kids and it appears too expense for them to rent for 3 months while their goods are in storage while they wait for me to leave.

The email contents that the pm has written has to be seen to be believed but overall they state I have no chance and that qcat have advised they won't hesitate to vote in the landlords favour.

Has anyone ever heard of a landlord evicting a tenant on a fixed lease? I would move but I am also struggling ATM with 2 start up business's and have wages and start up costs to bear...

2. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

I believe most states have a mechanism for such an application from the landlord - that part isn't controversial. Its just whether the grounds are strong enough.

Generally though, financial hardship isn't very strong grounds to terminate a tenancy (either for landlord or tenant). You might want to get your own legal advice however.

3. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

I have to say that financial hardship is especially odd for a landlord to bring up, because presumably they can use the rental income they are getting from you and rent something comparable...

4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

IIRC, tenant initiated lease break is worth 6 weeks if you initiated it, so replicate that + moving costs so you can cover the bond.

5. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Tell the PM you intend to fight it. From what you say there is simply inconvenience for the landlord.
    Claim financial hardship if you are forced to leave early, citing your business commitments.

However, they have offered four weeks. Try to have that increased to include a cash payment for moving costs, around $2K. You have to move in 3 months anyway.

Friend broke lease when he returned to his PPOR. Cost him $10K to get the tenant to agree to move early. Tenant held all the cards and knew it. Owner Told he had no grounds to apply to VCAT.
    Marg

wylie likes this.
  6. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

I know of someone who bought a house in Melbourne. It was to be their PPOR. Problem was that the vendor had just signed a 12 month lease. The buyer wanted to move in as soon as possible after settlement.

So, both the buyer and the seller offered the tenant $25K each to vacate. The tenant agreed - probably the easiest $50K they ever made.

If I was the buyer, I would have reduced the purchase price by $25K, left the tenant in the property for the new lease and use the buyer's $25K to help cover the rent where they were living.

It's the same old story - everything's negotiable.

wylie and Marg4000 like this.
  7. neK

neK Well-Known Member

Landlord has offered you 1 month rent so you can break the lease and move out.

Otherwise you will have to move in 3 months time and find a new place anyway.

Can't really see how you are losing in this deal.

What's your reason for not taking it?

8. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

They are under no obligation to move early.

Joynz likes this.
  9. neK

neK Well-Known Member

Everything is negotiable.

If there was 6 months left... I could understand.

But when you look at the numbers, knowing that you're getting kicked out in 3 months, moving out 2.5 months earlier isn't going to change too much + getting 1 months rent too.

10. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I'm with those who think you could make some money from this. We know tenants who were offered $10k to leave early to allow the house to be sold with vacant possession.

That happened to them the house before too. They weren't happy, but took the $10k.

You are going to be moving in three months, so whilst it is crook that the landlord cannot just wait you out, I'd be trying to get your moving costs as well as the four weeks, cut out the court visit and ask for say $2k on top of the four weeks.

kierank likes this.