QLD Landload Breach for Kids throwing water balloons

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Mobeen, 25th Apr, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Mobeen

Mobeen Well-Known Member

Please understand I’m not defending my kids for doing something so stupid, And tomorrow they will be writing letters to the neighbour and the landlord saying sorry for their stupidity,

wylie, Propagate and Perp like this.
  2. Ian87

Ian87 Well-Known Member

I used to chick eggs at people so your landlord can count himself lucky.

datto likes this.
  3. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

Kids can be stupid sometimes. I wouldn't worry about it, this guy is full of himself.

Dan Wood, datto, wylie and 1 other person like this.
  4. Mobeen

Mobeen Well-Known Member

This is the full story: Can the landlord do this? Is this normal? I have always owned houses and this is my 2nd time renting and first in Australia;

On Friday 24th April 2020 at approx 10:50 pm I heard loud banging on our front door on Level 3 (only 2 apartments on this floor), I got out of bed as I was walking to the door I heard someone banging on the door again. Before opening the door I asked who it was, No one replied so I asked again and still no answer, at this stage I was feeling a bit scared due to the time of night.

I slowly open the door and I see the landlord and his daughter (who live on Level 6). The landlord stated to me that quite loudly he caught my son and my nephew throwing water balloons from the balcony into the neighbor's yard not in the same complex. I stated I didn’t know anything about it and said I believe my son is sleeping as I was asleep myself also to add the banging on the door was that loud that is woke my sick wife who is on cancer medication (meaning heavy sleeper) through the night, so she came to the door and asked what's happening, I explained to her and asked her to call our son from the bedroom.

As soon my son came to the front door I asked him if he was throwing water balloons from the balcony and before he could answer Landlord stated: "YES HE WAS I GOT HIM ON CAMERA AND MY DAUGHTER ALSO VIDEOED HIM FROM THE APARTMENT IN FRONT". My 16-year-old son felt so shocked and intimidated and scared that he replied “I don’t know” and Landlord stated again in a loud voice “Don’t lie we have you on video and he’s got three cameras installed”. Landlord also stated that his daughter has pictures of my son throwing the water balloons, I asked him if I could see it please his reply was “No you cannot”. He also threatened my son and saying that he is going to the police and stop lying, My son feeling intimidated and threatened just kept saying “I don’t know”. The landlord then stated “that he’s a man of evidence” And pulled out a wallet with a badge and ID and showed my son in his face, You must understand this is a 16-year-old boy that the landlord is doing this to in front of me. At this stage, my wife and I were scared and speechless, While my 16-year-old son was getting threatened by the landlord by pulling out his wallet with a badge and ID and threatening to go to the police.
    Landlord then threatened me that he’s going to breach me 3 times as he has three open files on my son because this is not the first time this has happened though I have not yet ever heard about this Till that night. The landlord stated, “You don't know who you’re messing with, I am now going to step outside your property (outside the front door) And I am going to say you are in big ****”.

Could you understand why we were feeling threatened as he was inside our front door (I never invited him in) and we didn’t know what was happening besides my son getting accused of throwing water balloons?

After Landlord left we asked my son if he did it, and He stated “yes he did he and my nephew through for water balloons to the next door neighbors yard” I asked my son why didn’t he just say to the landlord but my 16 year old son Said he was shocked he didn’t know what to say because the Landlord was so angry and threatening.
    So yes stupidly my son did throw water balloons and in of result of that He’s gonna get the consequences from us as parents and he’s written a letter to Landlord and the neighbor in concern an apology letter for his bad choices.

wylie and Perp like this.
  5. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member

It looks he gauged you well and used that to push you hard.

Being nice doesn’t help most of the times.

It looks he might want to show his power in a unusual way and generally these type of people wouldn’t progress further as you seem to be simply in a panic mode during the incident.

if one of my tenants offered to pay me 12 months in advance I wouldn’t give good look at them though. That is where the problem is...

SeafordSunshine likes this.
  6. Archaon

Archaon Well-Known Member

I'd report him to police for intimidation/harassment and trespass.

SeafordSunshine likes this.
  7. lixas4

lixas4 Well-Known Member

You have stated a couple of times in your posts above that this is the first time that you have heard of any issues with the landlord. But earlier in the month you posted on here that the landlord is accusing your children of breaking the lift and causing 16k of damage.

Accusations of Apartment Block lifts damaged

The landlord talked about evidence in the lift saga as well.

Whats happening here? Is it a crazy landlord? Or a protective landlord with a tenant with naughty kids?

AxeLy, Anthony416, Jana and 7 others like this.
  8. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Hi Mobeen

Any neighbour has a right to knock on your door.

This is just more complicated by the fact that the neighbour is your landlord and your son was in the wrong!

But a couple of loud knocks is not intimidation. Coming into the doorway a few steps when you answered the door is not trespass (maybe he didn’t want to wake the neighbours).

For all we know the ID card saying he was a ‘man of evidence’ was showing membership to a science organisation - hardly a crime. He brought his daughter as an eyewitness.

He may have over reacted. But you are also overreacting. I think you and he both experienced a ‘fight or flight’ reaction. That’s just biology - but it can feel terrible.

As you mentioned, just approach him neighbour to neighbour (perhaps with your son and nephew) to apologise. You will likely find things have calmed down (unless there is more to this).

I’m wondering about the people who live in the property the water bombs were thrown into?

Are your son and nephew going to apologise to them?

Last edited: 25th Apr, 2020
    AxeLy and wylie like this.
  9. Mobeen

Mobeen Well-Known Member

Yes they
    Have wrote apology letters and gone and put them into the letterboxes

10. Mobeen

Mobeen Well-Known Member

No the lift issue got sorted and they found who damaged it and it wasn’t by kids I think someone Confessed

Guest, wylie and lixas4 like this.
  11. Mobeen

Mobeen Well-Known Member

Note they have wrote apology letters to the landlord I made them write it to All three neighbours whoever roof it might of hit

12. The Gambler

The Gambler Well-Known Member

Have to take the OP at face value and believe the story, but it certainly seems in the realms of make believe.

12 months in advance for an apartment on the Gold Coast?!?!

Unless the renter is coming from overseas and can't go through the normal channels for renting (for whatever reason) and has a fellow countryman gouging them.

Anybody flashing a badge in a wallet has been watching too many detective TV shows! Next time the bloke comes, flash your own.

AxeLy and The Y-man like this.
  13. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Can we ask why, in this period of social distancing, you have your nephew staying with you in your apartment (unless this is his usual place of residence)?

The Y-man likes this.
  14. Mobeen

Mobeen Well-Known Member

Usual place residence For the last four weeks as parents are essential workers So he is staying with us just makes it easy for them

Scott No Mates likes this.
  15. skater

skater Well-Known Member

I've just read both threads & my take on it is that this LL may be trying to pull a bit of a swifty. You paid 12 months up front, so maybe he thinks you have plenty of money, so he was trying it out, see if we can get $16k out of you for the lift.

So, that didn't work, now he's being heavy handed. Maybe he thinks if he can get you to move, he can keep all of the rent, but that will backfire if he's using a PM.

I'd be keeping a diary of any interactions with this person. He's definitely compromising your 'quiet enjoyment' of the property. You've got another 8 months to go with him. That could be rather painful. Keep very good records, and get him to email you any grievances, in case you need to get the police involved and/or a tribunal claim.

AxeLy, Gockie, MTR and 1 other person like this.
  16. Mobeen

Mobeen Well-Known Member

Yes I’ve definitely gone through a real estate property manager and all payments receipts are received from them As we transfered into their trust account, So in that sense I think I’m safe I think more the cases I was just shocked stunned like a possum in front of headlights.

17. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

the landlord owns all of the units?

18. Mobeen

Mobeen Well-Known Member

I believe him and two other people

19. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

This whole post feels wrong. The language is inconsistent. The facts dont make sense.

how do you hit a neighbours roof from a third floor unit? Flinging it towards the building next door? The downstairs unit has a roof that sticks out?

20. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Whilst your son and his cousin did something wrong, it was hardly worthy of the actions now taken by the landlord. They weren't even throwing balloons into his property. He was just a witness, yet's he's playing cop.

Interesting that he couldn't get your kids for the lift. Did he apologise to you for his heavy handedness over that incident? I'll bet he didn't.

AxeLy and skater like this.