QLD Land with MSES wildlife habitat (special least concern animal)

Discussion in 'Property Analysis' started by Zia, 25th Jan, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Zia

Zia Member

Interested in purchasing a piece of land to built on but its covered with bushland. I was thinking of cutting the trees down to make room for built.
    I have done some research so on the Queensland Globe map it shows that area is clean of Koala Habitat, however it shows some light blue lines when selecting MSES wildlife habitat (special least concern animal)

Question is
    - can I chop the trees in this block of land.
    - What else I should be checking in regards to clearing the land?

I have call council they said they don't know much as its a new sub division.

For more information please refer to the picture attached.
    Property-A

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

So How will koalas know to avoid the area coloured in black?

3. Zia

Zia Member

I guess if its not an ideal condition for them they wont, such as no food, people around them, other domestic animals, no trees.
    The question is if we try to clear trees can we based on the above given situation. Dont want to end up buying a land where you cant chops trees to build or cost you an arm and a leg to chop trees.

4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Being located within or adjacent to a wildlife corridor may mean that the land is in a fire zone or will need a fire consultant report to determine the type of construction & additional fire safety & fire resistance measures required for DA & CC.

5. boganfromlogan

boganfromlogan Well-Known Member

The two things to consider are: preserving the koala habitat ( net gain for everyone ) and keeping koala ppl happy. The koala ppl are the trickier group ( opinion only ), but end result is more koalas.

Buy it, enjoy the koalas. Don't chop their habitat down.

I would view them as an asset ( just me ).

Subdivision would be very tricky.

6. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Animal sanctuary protection zones can be strict. ie Not even entering the land, fencing etc Contact council or the relevant agency. Solicitor can search title and advise. In some instances it can be a impediment to land value for land tax purposes. You may need to ensure the valuation considers that matter vs the land around it. Expensive enviromental impact reports can be a problem. ie a plant species, a frog, some type of marsupial , snake etc. Or even water run off.