Kitchen reno blunder

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by robbie_p, 1st Dec, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. robbie_p

robbie_p Well-Known Member

Found the below:

Renovating a home

Engaging a builder
    Make sure your builder is licensed to do the particular type of work (e.g. brick paving, decks, demolition, retaining walls or roof tiling.

You can check if a tradesperson or builder is licensed on the Licensing Public Register.

For jobs valued at less than $12,000:

• There is no legal requirement for your builder to enter into a building work contract with you. However, it is advisable to get either a written contract or a written quote.
    • The builder is not required to take out a policy of indemnity insurance.
    • It is advisable to only pay a deposit of ten to fifteen percent of the total value. The more you pay upfront, the more you stand to lose, if anything goes wrong before the work is completed.

2. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

From the information you've posted here the builder has no case and would lose. He's asked for a larger deposit which is illegal and I don't believe he's licensed for the work he carried out. I doubt he would take you to court because he would know this. Just be careful incase he's a nut job. Google "moonee ponds tradie murder"

WattleIdo likes this.
  3. robbie_p

I havent heard back from them in over 24hours.. waiting patiently :p

4. robbie_p

What makes you think this? :)

5. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

His license. Victoria has 3 categories for building licenses each with its limitations except for one. My gut says he will threaten you with legal action but won't proceed. Kitchen company will chase the builder for the outstanding amount.

This is why I don't work for builders!

6. robbie_p

Sitting at my new kitchen having a few beers, we noticed two more issues:

1: The drawer under the microwave has a 5mm gap. The other kitchen drawers have 1-2mm gap - See attached
    2: The gap under the first bench top slants from 3mm to 1mm - see attached.

Issues just seem to be coming and coming as we start using the kitchen..

Attached Files:

7. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

The deposit as the info above isan "advisable " amount, the parties can agree to more or less or none

8. robbie_p

Got a very friendly email from the builder who wants to meet at my house and work, go through issues and discuss options. Seems like quite a change in approach.

9. 158

158 Well-Known Member

That's because he will want the issue sorted and complete before Christmas as he knows he wont be paid if he has to go through a legal proceeding.

Don't accept anything that you are not comfortable with, and get it all in writing. If he does not write it or email you with the exact course of action, make sure you email him along the lines of 'Thanks for our meeting today Mr. XXXX. Confirming our conversation today, the actions discussed.........'.

Cover yourself with as much detail as you can.

pinkboy

dmo likes this.
  10. robbie_p

Im seeking legal advice next week, but at the same time want it sorted out.

I guess there would be no harm meeting with them before i get proper legal advice?

At the same time i want to be fully equipped, with proper legal advice, so they know im not messing around.

At the end of the day, i just want everything fixed and issues addressed so i can move on and enjoy the festive season.

dmo likes this.
  11. melbournian

melbournian Well-Known Member

Try to speak to consumer affairs and see where it goes (no point going to get legal advice if it cost $$ to do so) - it is simple dispute for delivery of a kitchen in which you are not satisfied and he is obliged to deliver a product that is a certain level. similar to buying a car and the wheel suddenly is loose and comes off.

Things like these are common and even in new builds (there will be a variety of issues to be resolved). I once pointed out crappy plastering in a build uneven surfaces etc (which was verified by the building inspector and the lockup stage) and got the builder to rip out everything and replaster the whole house again.

12. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

13. robbie_p

The builder and kitchen guy came to my house on monday and they agreed to resolve all issues, including pantry depth, so no need to go to court. They also saw a few small issue (which i didnt see) which they are going to be address.

Due to this time the year, we looking at around the 14th Jan to have to done.

All in all, a happy outcome :)

bob shovel likes this.
  14. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

Good to hear. They know they have no leg to stand on.

15. Arms

Arms Active Member

its probably got nothing to do with legalities for the builder and kitchen guy ,
    its got EVERYTHING to do with customer relations .
    good on them for their response to what could have been a very messy result .

16. robbie_p

Hi All,

Just wanted to let you know that all the issues, including pantry depth, was resolved.

I will post pictures when i get home tonight.

Cheers,
    Robbie

melbournian and bob shovel like this.