Kitchen makeover Melbourne?

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Mako17, 23rd Sep, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Mako17

Mako17 New Member

Hi I am interested in a quick makeover for our kitchen. Any recommnedations in Melbourne?

I found dream doors kitchen and similar places where they promise a quick makeover within few days but wasnt sure of the quality..
    Has anyone had any experience with them?

I also found that ikea kitchens popular these days but mixed reviews on quality..and I wasn’t sure how easy it would be organising tradies to come in to remove the old kitchen and install the new one.

Our budget is limited so I am considering using exisiting cupboards and giving just a quick facelift for now (although the amount of storage is not that great at present..most storage is hard for me to reach without a chair or ladder like the house was designed for tall people )

We need to install a dish washer, install a new stove and oven and move the current island closer to the sink as I am not finding it practical where it is now.

I am also curious how much the whole thing would cost as our budget at this point is no more than 30-50k...

Any recommendations in Melbourne would be helpful! thanks!!

2. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

I believe that telling people your budget is that amount will be begging to be ripped off. Seriously, you can get everything replaced for less than $20k, even if you want gold-plated. Take a drive to Ikea and spend two hours there in their kitchen section. Take in your kitchen measurements. But sometimes new doors will not fit directly onto old cabinets, so be prepared to lose the lot.

Then go to a custom place and talk to them.

Mako17 likes this.
  3. Silverghost

Silverghost Well-Known Member

If you are willing to do some of the work yourself to keep costs down and want to keep the existing carcasses, you could source new custom-sized doors somewhere like Allboard Distributors. They can also cut board to size and finish the edges to make your own custom-sized carcasses if you want to change or reconfigure some. You can also source benchtops there.

Replacing only your doors will require compatible hinge holes in your existing carcasses, though.

If the existing flooring was laid after your island, there will be a gap if you move it. You would either need to lay new flooring or fill in the gap if you still have some if the existing flooring materials.

One other thing to consider is whether you need a new circuit to replace oven. Old ovens often ran on the same circuits as other appliances, while modern ovens generally need a dedicated circuit as they draw more power. It would be a good idea to speak to your electrician in advance to avoid any nasty surprises in this front. It helps to have a new oven in mind so you know how many amps you need to plan for.

Mako17 likes this.
  4. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

We used Amorini:
    https://amorinifactoryoutlet.com.au/

It was about $6k all up to supply and install, including moving wall mount taps to countertop sink, and tiling for splashback.

You can take your kitchen measurements to them for a quote.

The Y-man

Mako17 likes this.
  5. Nihal

Nihal Member

Hi Y
    Hi Y-man

We are in adelaide and looking to go through Amorini. Can you share some pics of your kitchen reno.

Thanks.

6. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Sorry about the quality of the photos - but I think you'll get the idea.

The Y-man

11.jpg 822.JPG 827.JPG 886.JPG

7. Nihal

Nihal Member