Kitchen / Joinery Builder Recommendations - Sydney

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Tenex, 17th May, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Tenex

Tenex Well-Known Member

I am building 2 kitchens plus laundry and other joinery (storage / walk in robe) in Sydney.

There is quite a bit of work involved in terms of sourcing the stone and deciding on the style and joinery type. I prefer I did all of it through the kitchen company, although I am open to doing it separately as well.

I am not looking for fancy show rooms or front end third party dealers or companies like harvey norman that come with a sales pitch and a high margin.

I am looking for a company that preferably manufactures their own work and are easy to deal with and of course offer reasonable prices. Dont mind if I have to go to their workshop.

I would appreciate recommendations either here or in the PM.

Thanks

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Nobbys

Tenex likes this.
  3. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Renovator Auctions
    Fowles Auctions
    Both offer standard kitchens as ready to buy. You can inspect and arrange install etc

Tenex likes this.
  4. Mumbai

Mumbai Well-Known Member

Last edited: 17th May, 2016
    Tenex likes this.
  5. Tenex

Tenex Well-Known Member

Thanks for the recommendations,

Perhaps I should have been specific. I am after a custom build kitchen that is build and installed by the vendor.

6. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Quality? Location? Finishes?

7. Tenex

Tenex Well-Known Member

Quality & finishes - Medium to high range (a mix of poly and melamine joinery, mid to high range ceasar stone). I dont want and overkill but at the same time I dont want something that falls apart either.

Location - Sydney, towards the inner west and west

8. Jacque

Jacque Jacque Parker Premium Member

Hi @Tenex happy to recommend our kitchen guy who did our PPOR and other renovations over the past 2-3 years. He's a great cabinetmaker, attention to detail is second to none and he takes enormous pride in his work. Richard from Dreamstyle Kitchens Dream Style Kitchens - Kitchen Renovations Rouse Hill Sydney Hills
    Our kitchen was also featured in a magazine (Country Homes Living) DSC_2680.JPG following construction- I've done a thread on it somewhere on this forum but here's the before and after pics in case you can't find it....
    Kitchen 2008.jpg

Sackie and Tenex like this.
  9. melbournian

melbournian Well-Known Member

nice kitchen and definitely tell it is not a flatpack with all the detailing on the island.

10. Tenex

Tenex Well-Known Member

@Jacque That kitchen looks nice. I would imagine you would have shopped around at the time. How did he compare in terms of pricing?

11. Jacque

Jacque Jacque Parker Premium Member

Hi @Tenex naturally I shopped around (I negotiate for a living after all :D) and also had two other companies (both of whom came recommended)- one smaller local outfit and Degabriele Kitchens. I also had the actual kitchen design plan initially drawn up by another company- Dan Kitchens (as I am a big fan of their designs) which Richard then modified slightly to build. I had to pay for the plan but was happy to do so, as a practical and beautiful kitchen must start with a great design.

As far as cost, Richard was actually cheaper than the other two (only just in the case of the other smaller local outfit) but I felt most comfortable with him, as he also had done other kitchens in our area and was well reputed. He also did the cabinetry for our renovation, which included cabinetry in the laundry, two bathrooms, powder room and a huge WIR. I couldn't be happier with the standard of his work. See below for some pics. IMG_5688.jpg IMG_5706.JPG IMG_5795.jpg IMG_5632.JPG

Tenex likes this.
  12. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

@Jacque love the drawers in the kitchen!

Jacque likes this.
  13. Tenex

Tenex Well-Known Member

I would imagine this cabinet maker did a custom build job on your vanity / bathroom cabinets as well? did you find that it was more cost effective as opposed to purchasing it ready made from harvey norman?

14. Reece

Reece New Member

Hi Jacque

I realise this was a while ago now but saw your recommendation on using Dans Kitchens for the design of your kitchen then shopping around.. just curious as to how much the design fee was if you can remember? And did you find that other companies would discount the kitchen since you had your own design?

15. euro73

euro73 Well-Known Member Business Member

The beautiful Hills District, Sydney Australia
    These guys did our kitchen, bathrooms, laundry ... Really cant say enough good things about Shane and Tammy ...

Portfolio – Living Edge Kitchens

With regard to design, we used The Kitchen Broker | Kitchen Designers Sydney | Custom Kitchens Sydney

I believe the cost was $1500 from memory ... that includes design, thumb drive with all CAD drawings etc... they will tender the work out to 3-4 companies and provide you with quotes , and they'll project manage it for a fee as well... but you are free to take the CAD drawings and use whomever you wish if you prefer ...

pennanthills_web028.jpg pennanthills_web026.jpg pennanthills_web022.jpg pennanthills_web021.jpg pennanthills_web020.jpg pennanthills_web015.jpg pennanthills_web017.jpg pennanthills_web011.jpg pennanthills_web007.jpg pennanthills_web001.jpg

Last edited: 27th Apr, 2019
    broc119 and KateSydney like this.