kitchen ideas

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Jess Peletier, 22nd Aug, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

20150822_154244.jpg This is the kitchen in the house we're renovating at the moment.
    We're not pulling it out but I'm at a loss as to what to do about it.

The green bench top has to go, but I'm going to get it resurfaced rather than replacing it. Thinking the rustoleum counter top transformations in a light color as the house is quite dark. Will post photos once it's done.

Hubby wants to leave the jarrah paneling so I'm not sure what's going to work in terms of splash back. I definitely don't want anything reddish, but am concerned white will look really blah.

Ideas?

2. wobbycarly

wobbycarly Well-Known Member

Looks similar layout to the one we did recently...

http://somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1297106#post1297106

But this might be more than you were planning on doing.

Tim86 and Jess Peletier like this.
  3. Perp

Perp Well-Known Member

Glass splashback with a bright colour to break up the all-white (with a touch of dark timber) - lime green or a really sunny yellow.

4. Raydar

Raydar Well-Known Member

I would avoid spending money unnecessarily, so good call on keeping the kitchen. Looks very tidy and not that old. Things I would do, remove the 'hide away' for appliances. Takes up valuable bench space, it also looks ugly and closes in the kitchen. Defo replace the tap wear for under $200. New lino floor. I would subway tile the splash back, cheap and looks great. And....
    Paint the jarrah white to match the kitchen colour. Once you reno the adjoining room, it will look out of place. (Sorry hubbie)

Tim86, WestOz and Perp like this.
  5. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I agree that appliance cupboard closes it in. You lost some storage above but gain a feeling of more space. I'd also swap over the tap ware and paint the jarrah white. It just looks wrong.

Perp likes this.
  6. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

+1 Raydar

Exact same layout as the one I'm doing at the moment Jess, however my fridge and pantry is on the left wall out of shot.
    Your cabinetry is in better condition than mine.
    Been trying to think were to put the microwave, just gave me an idea to sus out.
    With limited space trying to work out where to put the dishwasher (one ya plug into power that is), perhaps to the right of the sink with cutlery draws etc under breaky bench

Curious I rush priced a complete new one today at Masters, 3.6k for DIY install

7. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Are the current splash back tiles in good condition? Can you just re grout with a coloured grout? Save a fair bit for same outcome.

If the jarrah is staying, which is no biggie imo, march the bench top and grout colour to tie it all in. Saves on painting it too.

If you come across a new sink for a good price that could lift it out of the 80's

8. wylie

I also think the splash back tiles look ok and if they need replacing, I like 300 x 600 matt white to minimise the grout lines and it is super cheap and looks good.

It is hard to see the sink properly but I agree that if you are doing new bench tops, I'd definitely drop in a new sink.

WattleIdo likes this.
  9. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Wow so many great ideas. In terms of colour, stay warm as the house is a little dark and you have the jarrah. If you do decide to paint the woodwork, go for cream or a warm sandstone (still whites but the warmth will relieve the drab look).
    Agree with a colour for splashback. Tiles if you want super cheap. Glass if you can but it must be warm - charteuse/lime, yellow -yes. Or turquoise/aqua which sit on the cusp and complement warmth - creams, browns.
    so many choices.
    Then again, you could just leave those tiles well enough alone and focus on getting rid of the brown at the windows if possible. Paint the cupboards if it can be done well.
    I have a cream benchtop which surprisingly still looks good.
    Definitely change/replace lino.
    How about a skylight in the hallway behind?

Last edited: 23rd Aug, 2015
    Perp likes this.
  10. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

11. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

I wish we could do away with the overheads like that - it looks great. Sadly we don't have the extra fridge/pantry area like @wobbycarly .
    Our kitchen is quite small so I'm going to add extra cabinetry into the laundry to give extra storage.

12. wylie

Is there a dining table next to the breakfast bar? If so, I would look at backing cupboards to the back of the bench under the breakfast bar and that adds storage that would be lost if you ditch the cupboard that sits on the bench. You lose the breakfast bar of course, but if there is a table nearby, that is a fair trade off for the extra storage.

PFI provide our clients with the opportunity to purchase an investment property, together with performing equity investments from a wide range of ASX listed securities some providing monthly income. This is the value of advice.