Kitchen / Bathroom / Laundry Area Reno Help

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by cherayzie, 18th Aug, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. cherayzie

cherayzie Member

Hi All!

Long time lurker in the forum, and have learned a lot from the people for the last few years, thank you. I would really appreciate some inputs with regards to reno please.

I have a 3BR/2BATH IP in southeast melbourne. It’s pretty outdated and because my partner and I travel a lot, we decided to move out of the CBD to temporarily move to this unit. We therefore wanted to take the opportunity to upgrade the place. Best case scenario is we sell this unit after 5-10 years to help fund our PPOR. Hence, the renovation will also contribute to the selling price and since we’re living on it, the place will be well taken cared of.

A similar unit was sold at $570k last year so let’s assume that’s the same selling price for now. Therefore, I didn’t want to go overboard with the renos, but i’m afraid our emotions might get in the way because we’re going to be living on it.

The Plan:
    1. Kitchen upgrade - new appliances, updated cabinets, and a stone benchtop
    2. Bathrooms - there’s a small one that even has the goldish shower frames, and a bigger one (separate toilet) which had already been upgraded before I bought it. All the vanities are cheaply made so was looking at an upgrade for both. Tiles are orange so would really like to change it. I just want it to look “clean and modern” if that makes sense.
    3. Tiling for the common area covering the kitchen and corridors. I don’t know what this flooring is called but we’d like to change to floorboards

The truth and the ask:
    1. None of us can do DIY, can just provide moral support
    2. I’d like to spend max 30k if possible, but maybe someone can wake me up from dreaming this is even possible
    3. Would really appreciate some contacts/recommendations from Melbourne. I’ve reached out to a number of companies from facebook (I know not the brightest idea) but would prefer someone whom our experts here have worked with already
    4. Laundry area - I dont have photos of this but it’s basically just a room with a sink. Would love to add cupboards/cabinets to make the room more useful.

Will upload some photos as well.

Will really appreciate any inputs from anyone!

2. cherayzie

cherayzie Member

Here are the photos:

Attached Files:

3. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

If you sell in 10 years you'll probably want to do another reno before selling so I wouldn't go way overboard with this reno . I can see how emotions will come onto it as you'll be living in it. It's gonna be a balance... comfortable of living vs not overspending.

If this was in Sydney or bris I'd have all your contacts.

Try Highgrove bathrooms for vanities and taps. They have a good range of bathroom items.

Look for wall cabinets at IKEA for laundry. They have some good ones.

Buy all your appliances together if possible to negotiate a better package price.

I'm sure the Vic members will have a ton of info.

Last edited: 18th Aug, 2019
    cherayzie likes this.
  4. Archaon

Archaon Well-Known Member

Perhaps consider painting the tiles in the bathrooms instead of replacing?

Are the cupboards serviceable in the kitchen?

5. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Hello!

Your place looks to be a similar style to my townhouse - the kitchen is almost identical. If so the cabinets may be in very good condition. (I cant stand the colour of mine but I cant bring myself to throw out perfectly good items). If you can live with the timber-look laminate, you can leave the major renovation until closer to when you intend selling and just redo the floors, appliances and benchtops to suit yourselves. Tiles can be repainted and then replaced at a later date if you can live with that option. Floorboards will cop some wear over ten years.

If you completely replace your bathrooms, with the intention to sell later, remember that any current "style" will be out of fashion later. Keep it as neutral and "classic" as possible so you aren't redoing any of it again at sale time.

housechopper2 likes this.
  6. cherayzie

cherayzie Member

Yes, the cupboards are ok but I really hate the colour. Plus I need it changed anyway because it doesn’t have a space for a dishwasher.

But thanks for the resurfacing option, I might consider that, but I’m assuming not a good idea for floor tiles right?

7. cherayzie

cherayzie Member

Yes if it was enough to paint them all white, I would’ve had it done already! Have you done the reno for your kitchen? Would you be able to share some after photos if available?

8. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Screenshot_20190818-141404.png Maybe a viable option are these water proof stick on? Then when you ready to reno before sale you can rip em all up and put tiles. $9 a pack.

If you plan on completely redoing the kitchen then IKEA/Bunnings would be your cheapest option and IKEA don't come out too bad at all.

IKEA before and after Reno I did. Cost of joinery was about 4 or 5k from memory.

Before:
    20181120_122604_resized.jpg

20181120_122629_resized.jpg
    After:
    Screenshot_20190818-142024.png

Last edited: 18th Aug, 2019
    broc119, cherayzie and Archaon like this.
  9. Pumpkin

Pumpkin Well-Known Member

Since this is an IP, you may have a PM?
    Would suggest you ask them for recommendations, both of what Reno and Referrals of Contractors.
    $30k is not enough for what you’re thinking I’m afraid, unless you DIY.

If you do it nicely with timeless design, you don’t need another Reno in 5-10 years time.

housechopper2 likes this.
  10. Archaon

Archaon Well-Known Member

If the cupboards are serviceable then I would suggest a remake instead of a full reno.

Get a cabinet maker in to make a diswasher spot and repaint the cabinets to a gloss white.

Redo the bench top with a stone and undermount sink perhaps, have been told locally it's much easier/cheaper to just get the stone cutter in to measure and install the bench top instead of buying a top and trying to get them to make it fit.

You can still paint floor tiles I'm sure, they have a grip texture added, though some of the suggestions above may suit more.

Some of these expenses may be able to be claimed as repairs as well, depends on the trade, accountant advice should be sought.

Also, consider doing these things before you move back in on paper, as they can be written off and/or depreciated if it's still a rental but vacant.

Lots to consider.

Sackie likes this.
  11. Engineering

Engineering Member

There are lots of things that you can do without ripping things out. Tile paint is a good idea, if you pick a light colour or just plain white, potential buyer could not tell it has been painted over. Just that you have to do a good job with it. Change the shower cubicle, new clear glass will lift the place up. Perhaps change the light fixture where it stands, a good one can be bought for under $200 and becomes the focal point. Point to note is that, if you rip out tiles, you will have to go back a fair way, meaning you have to start from water proofing, which also implies that the demolition work will be more involved. Not that it can not be done, but if money is a concern then I'd spend more in changing surface level things as much as possible. New vanity, mirror cabinet, perhaps even a new toilet seat (I mean the whole throne).

Kitchen will become modern just by adding stone. If you are going to renovate before you sell, then there is a product in bunnings that resurfaces laminate benchtops. Makes it look like its granite or something. Rip out the bench top near the time you sell.
    Cabinates can be refreshed as well by having them spray painted. If they are not water damaged. Also, hinges can be changed, so you can add soft close and things like that.

Good luck mate.

Last edited by a moderator: 18th Aug, 2019
    broc119, craigc, Joynz and 1 other person like this.
  12. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

I have not redone the kitchen in our townhouse, but we changed out the old stove and hotplates and replaced the blind. At the same time we replaced all the lights, blinds/curtains to make them all the same. The property had lots of 1980s "charm". The walls have been repainted white and I think we put a dual flush toilet downstairs. Our latest tenants have an old cat so we wont replace the carpet until after they move out, as it (carpet) was about ten years old and getting ratty when they moved in. The third photo below includes the newish hotplates but the old rusty wall oven.

Attached Files:

13. housechopper2

housechopper2 Well-Known Member

$30k is not enough. If you only want to spend that much you need to start thinking about compromises.

1. Replace just the en-suite - $15k for low/medium spec
    2. Add stone benches in the kitchen and fit a small dishwasher in an existing kitchen cabinet space, install new oven to existing space -$6k
    3. Floors of your choice - floorboards and tiles - $6k
    3. Laundry- tile walls, add shelf and install new sink $3k

14. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Skip the stone and use laminate instead.

Angel likes this.