NSW Kings cross

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Whitecat, 4th Apr, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Whitecat

Whitecat Well-Known Member

@JDP1
    Kings Cross. Not as hardcore as you may think. Only a few strip bars now.
    The photo of this expensive bar is right beside that park that used to be extremely dodgy and scary. You know the one in the corner.

Attached Files:

2. Mumbai

Mumbai Well-Known Member

And the purpose of this thread was to..?

Whitecat likes this.
  3. datto

datto Well-Known Member

When I used to walk up and down Darlinghurst Rd I used to stop at the Boubon and Beefsteak Hotel, grab a bite to eat, a drink and watch a fight.

Whitecat likes this.
  4. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Secret part time job ay...:p

bobbyj, Scott No Mates and Frazz like this.
  5. Darlinghurst Boy

Darlinghurst Boy Well-Known Member

Kings Cross Potts Point areas are now quite nice..you are looking at about 500k for a Studio.
    As the Strip clubs disapear it will become very cosmopolitan eith probaly Sydnrys best cafes.

WattleIdo and Whitecat like this.
  6. datto

datto Well-Known Member

No. Just having a look around. I never went a bit further up to "the wall" up near the hospital, Too many politicians there lol.

Sackie likes this.
  7. Whitecat

Talk about Kings cross

8. Mumbai

Mumbai Well-Known Member

From a investment perspective? Or generally about the changes after the block out laws?

9. Whitecat

To reminisce. But must be property related

10. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

I made an observation in another thread that businesses and development ( especially luxury devt) moving in to an area will gentrify it ( perhaps gradually) to an extent whereby its seedy reputation will eventually dissapear.
    im not sure how much kings cross has gentrified (both in aesthetics and the people that frequent it) and these pics help to outline a bit more.

Whitecat likes this.
  11. big max

big max Well-Known Member

I am sure it will gentrify and be a great place to live in the future. I would seriously consider buying rundown apartments in older character buildings.

It was really seedy in the past. I once saw a whore literally passed out with a needle lying next to her in an alleyway. So much destructive heroin use in the 80s and 90s and then ice the last decade. Good to see it being cleaned up.

WattleIdo and Whitecat like this.
  12. Whitecat

Imo it is gentrified

13. C-mac

C-mac Well-Known Member

I know the investor in me is meant to get excited by words like 'gentrification' and when talking about most places around the country I do.

But when it comes to Kings Cross, it is sad to see its former vibe and energy slowly fade away. The developers have eyed it off for decades. Why does the word 'cafe' need to be synonymous with the word 'gentrify'. Sydney doesnt need yet ANOTHER ugly duckling tarted up for 'cafe culture gentrification'! We have dozens of those types of suburbs/stories already.

It is a boring and sterile future for the Cross if the stripclubs and dive bars are replaced with <sigh> cafes and overpriced <sigh> "luxury" apartments. I get it, it is a prime real estate location, sure. But, every big city needs its 'socially acceptable' red light district of naughtiness and subversive interests. I'm sorry, but if that gets taken away by legal means, these subversive cultures will re-emerge illegally, underground, in places harder to police, and far less safe for those working in those industries.

Lets be honest, as soon as the first strip club closes, they will all follow suit. Whilst high-end strip clubs exist in other pockets of the city (servicing, lets be honest; older men with 7-figure incomes, driving 6-figure cars, taking 5-figure holidays, wearing 4-figure suits, and snorting 3-figure party drugs...); cities like Syndey need places that are a bit rough around the edges that service lower-middle socio economic folks.

As i said; if these people arent catered for legally, it goes underground illegally. That then becomes a slippery slope.

We are already seeing the emergence of the illegal warehouse party and secret sydney parties (where no legal alcohol service exists, venues illegally run, no security, no crowd control etc.) as a result of the lockout laws.i would argue that instances of king-hit-punch-deaths and sexual assualt are far more likely in these venues than the legal ones...

14. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

What was ever there besides people going to get ******, go to strip clubs or find drugs? Or go for a gawk?
    Won't be sad to see the dodgy vibe and energy fade away.

Sackie likes this.
  15. datto

datto Well-Known Member

And spend money.

16. C-mac

C-mac Well-Known Member

I know, it personally isnt of interest to me. I guess the point being is that at least when the cross represented a dedicated area to conduct said sketchy activities; it was heavily policed. If the area not only cleans up, but gentrifies completely (like in a way that SMH article pinned it to be the 'Manhattan of Sydney) - where does this rough trade go?? It doesnt just disappear. Nor does it magically get swept out of Sydney completely, i.e. to Penrith or whatever. It stays around town and goes underground.

Sure the cross has the drug problems, pimps, prostitution etc., but better it be crammed into one area where it can all be better managed and resourced, than the alternative, in my humble opinion..

17. tomlemke

tomlemke Well-Known Member

I was their thursday night couldn't believe how dead it all was.

18. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

I was there when I was 18 couldn't believe how off my spine I was.

Sonamic, datto and Cactus like this.
  19. datto

datto Well-Known Member

I wonder if they still have those tiny private rooms where you can watch videos for a few dollars?

20. Whitecat

Still holding out...

Attached Files: