Kate Ashmor - PC member and liberal candidate

Discussion in 'Politics' started by lixas4, 13th Apr, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Her beliefs aren't even religious beliefs. According to the article linked earlier in the thread, she's not observant. She says that any observance is more cultural than religious. The mezuzah she mentions is a small piece of parchment in a little container, with a verse. In Israel, where 40% of Jews are secular, 75% use a mezuzah, so it has more than a religious significance.

2. Air_Bender

Air_Bender Well-Known Member

3. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

Damn stupid thing to be arguing over. 20 years ago I rented an apartment that had a mezuzah at the entrance, the owner being Jewish (I'm not Jewish). I've worked in Israel, you can find a mezuzah almost everywhere and I know for a fact that most people aren't observant. A lot of people I worked with weren't even Kosher.

Player and geoffw like this.
  4. Player

Player Well-Known Member

Grew up in East St Kilda and Caulfield. Have lived in those suburbs for over 30 years. From my experience even a lot of those who propose they are Kosher, aren't Kosher............but as Helene it's all Greek to me :D

5. TSK

TSK Well-Known Member

Nor with her colleagues...sucking the air out of the already deflated Victorian federal campaign. She reminds me of Sophie Mirabella for some reason.

6. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Hubby - who isn't the remotest bit politicial - lambasted last night that he "damn well wish it was illegal for political advertising to attack the other party - wish they'd just say what they were bringing to the table".

I heartily agree. It's illegal to mention a competitors name, for general consumer items in advertising - and I'm thoroughly sick already of the "but they did xx ten years ago ... " rants.

Just glad we have a restricted timeline. They've already start politicking (as if they every stopped) for an election that won't be held for another 18 months

Islay likes this.
  7. geoffw

For some candidates overseas, it seems compulsory to attack the other candidates. Heavily.

In this case however, the initial attack appears to have come from the media rather than a political party. The reporter in this case is one who I know online and usually respect, but who has probably spent time combing a number of candidates online before finding something on one candidate which would make a story.

Lizzie likes this.
  8. Tony3008

Tony3008 Well-Known Member

I've heard it argued that compulsory voting encourages this - if you can make dirt stick on the other side they've got to vote for you - whilst in UK (where I come from) such negativity may just lead to people not voting. Not that UK 2019 can teach us anything about sound government!

9. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Screenshot (1).png

KateSydney and Tony3008 like this.
  10. shorty

shorty Well-Known Member

Last edited: 10th May, 2019
  11. geoffw

It's hard to know what to make of this story.

It's only been reported in one news site as far as I can tell - and that site is behind a paywall.

The fact that her father was born in Israel isn't a secret - it was mentioned in the article linked earlier in the thread. I'd be really surprised if she hadn't already covered her bases.

12. RS Gumby

RS Gumby Well-Known Member

If she was born in Australia she's Australian not Jewish - end of story

13. shorty

shorty Well-Known Member

Based on...?

Section 44 only requires an entitlement, not actual citizenship.

14. geoffw

It's not as simple as that any more.

Under section 44 of the constitution:
    " Any person who ... Is under any acknowledgement of allegiance, obedience, or adherence to a foreign power, or is a subject or a citizen or entitled to the rights or privileges of a subject or citizen of a foreign power ... shall be incapable of being chosen or of sitting as a senator or a member of the House of Representatives."

So that anybody who holds a citizenship of any other country, regardless of being Australian citizens, is not eligible to hold a seat in parliament.

A person may be entitled to citizenship automatically based on parents' national status or birthplace - and if the person has not actively sought to denounce that citizenship, they may be deemed to be ineligible.

Player likes this.
  15. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

They should probably renounce the citizenship as well :p

16. geoffw

Sorry, you're right.

And I can't even blame autocorrect.

17. Player

Player Well-Known Member

Correct. It is grey. Not sure of Israel's policy. I know that as an Australian born to Greek parents there is an automatic entitlement to citizenship in the parent(s) mother land. It can be renounced...........Julia Banks had the same issue.

18. turk

turk Well-Known Member

Ummm, she is Australian and Jewish, the question being, is she also an Israeli citizen.

19. geoffw

Jewish people are eligible for Israeli citizenship if they want. So there is a connection. But they don't automatically become citizens if they don't want.

A child of a citizen automatically becomes a citizen - but citizenship can be renounced. I would be really surprised if this had not been done in this case.

20. marty998

marty998 Well-Known Member

I don't know much about Judaism, but I expect both candidates will not be manning the polling booths on the Sabbath - Saturday 18th May.

Be interesting to see which one decides not to observe in order to hand out a few more how-to-vote cards in the sausage sizzle lines.