QLD Kallangur 2020

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by JAW, 2nd Jan, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Ross36

Ross36 Well-Known Member

But how many of them are moving to that area from somewhere else? Are these going to be mostly locals? Or people from a few suburbs over who drive/bus/train there? That to me is the key growth driver and I personally don't see a mass student population influx happening in high numbers. It's a bet on the area attracting people from afar to move there for uni.

2. hash_investor

hash_investor Well-Known Member

It is not just the uni. The vacancy rates are already down in the area compared to 2 years ago.

JAW and Willy like this.
  3. JAW

JAW Well-Known Member

In time, Kallangur will become a split suburb - Properties South of Anzac Ave (close to the incredible infrastructure that will continue to unfold), and those North of Anzac Ave, which are deprived of the very close proximity of what the Southern Anzac Avenue properties have to offer. The Northern properties also have established rough spots/ low socio-economic challenges, which will remain a challenge for the mid to long term, while the Southern properties will continue to push forward, as unique and attractive infrastructure continues to increase in order he region, be it the University Precinct, access to Kallangur and Petrie train stations, North Leagues Club, or lower crime ratio.

I'm quietly confident that what I state will be true.

MelindaJennison and wilso8948 like this.
  4. wilso8948

wilso8948 Well-Known Member

Only need to look at zoning to know this is exactly what will happen.

zoobzilla, JAW and Willy like this.
  5. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

What do you think about Lawnton and Petrie?

6. JAW

JAW Well-Known Member

7. Rich2011

Rich2011 Well-Known Member

How many townhouses are proposed to be built in the immediate area?

8. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Millions!

(exaggeration)

9. 27649

27649 Well-Known Member

Interesting area...still very much an affordable area for owner occupiers and is an alternative to those priced outside the inner-middle rings. I think the market has great depth however my concern is the demographic that lives there is families (mums and dads) however with a rather lower disposable income to those closer to the CBD. Anything around the good school catchments will outperform the others however there is still ample of new supply coming onto the market and we all know abundance is the enemy of capital growth. University students should drive up yields and lower occupancy levels, however will that mean more investors flooding into the market and less transaction from owner occupiers? Owner occupiers should be the ones essentially creating growth otherwise it might end up being a self filling prophecy for investors from their own activity.

JAW likes this.
  10. JAW

JAW Well-Known Member

Yes, normally I would steer clear of Townhouses , and this is especially true for this area, as I suspect that there will be an oversupply in the years to come.

However, freestanding established homes, on 600m+ blocks in the area within a 1.5km radius of the Petrie PDA, are where the real gains are to be made.

As the uni is being developed inside of an already well established area, the only free land that is closely available will be used to build townhouses/units.

Drifty and Willy like this.
  11. JAW

JAW Well-Known Member

mill-transit-plan.jpg
    Image showing proposed road from Dohles Rocks road in Kallangur to Uni Precinct in PDA zone. This would ease peak hour traffic heading South down Anzac Ave to Petrie, which can already be congested.

Source: The Mill PDA - Places ('Mill Transit' link drop down)

12. MelindaJennison

MelindaJennison Brisbane Buyer's Agent & QPIA Business Member

I have to agree with you @JAW ... there is a big difference between north and south of Anzac Avenue in the area.
    Investors just need to be aware of the much higher density zoning in place for some areas. In the future many of the homes will be replaced with multi level units (possibly student accommodation if the university continues to grow). I would NOT want to buy a low density zoned house that will be overshadowed in the years to come by a 21m high development! Yes the zoning allows for this in some locations - so it is important to do your due diligence.

Drifty and JAW like this.
  13. JAW

JAW Well-Known Member

Developers also need to be wary of areas that are prone to flooding close to the Uni PDA. Much of Lawnton is susceptible to flooding.

FloodZones.jpg

MelindaJennison likes this.
  14. fols

fols Well-Known Member

Lots of investors. Lots of supply. Lots of low income earners.

Three things I like to stay away from.

15. MelindaJennison

MelindaJennison Brisbane Buyer's Agent & QPIA Business Member

Yes investor activity has picked up in recent years. The graph below shows in 2016, 40% of occupants in the area were renters and the balance owner occupiers. But there appears to be a need for the investment housing in the area with current vacancy rates at 1% and trending downwards. It depends what an investor is trying to achieve in their portfolio as to whether this area might be suitable long term.
    Capture.JPG

16. Pleasure Paulie

Pleasure Paulie Well-Known Member

I don't know why people have this suburb on their radar. Anything next to the uni already is priced in any potential.

17. Rentforlife

Rentforlife Active Member

You may have to suss out the vacancy rates Paulie and rethink the comment

piskywolf likes this.
  18. boganfromlogan

boganfromlogan Well-Known Member

Was sash a troll? What did he do to be booted?

19. Nathan Prasad

Nathan Prasad Well-Known Member Business Member

Have been looking across these suburbs for investors and found prices are now to high.
    You are better going closer to the city like Geebung and Zillmere. Pending budget you can get a development project or renovation project for around $500k or under.

20. JAW

JAW Well-Known Member