QLD Kallangur 2018

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by JAW, 2nd Mar, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JAW

JAW Well-Known Member

"Kallangur precinct is expected to see the greatest population growth among the precincts, this combined with its proximity and inclusion in The Mill at Moreton PDA sees it become one of the greatest investment options along the corridor."

Source: Kallangur | Precincts | Moreton Bay Investment Opportunities | Moreton Bay Regional Council

This simply reiterates what I've been saying for the past 3 years. Kallangur properties close to Dohles Rocks Rd are in an extremely strong position for the years to come.

If you want an affordable area in Moreton Bay with outstanding potential, this is it.

piskywolf and Elle James like this.
  2. JAW

JAW Well-Known Member

"Anchored by the new USC Moreton Bay campus, The Mill at Moreton Bay PDA will deliver a world-class innovation and knowledge precinct adjacent to Petrie train station, and is expected to support 6000 jobs, 10,000 university placements and $950 million in economic activity by 2036."

"The Mill will feature Queensland’s first new university campus in over two decades and will act as ground zero when it comes to government, business and industry implementing innovative technologies in the region,” he said."

Source: Moreton Bay rolls out first smart technology

Mat L and piskywolf like this.
  3. JAW

JAW Well-Known Member

"Mr Rumsey said that the market in Petrie, Strathpine and Kallangur in particular were doing exceptionally well."

“Petrie and the surrounding market is as strong as I have seen it in 16 odd years,” he said.

“From my perspective, because there is a genuine lack of stock I don’t see the market cooling anytime soon.

It is incredibly, incredibly strong.”

Source: www.news.com.au/finance/real-estate/shortage-of-stock-at-petrie-and-surrounds-drives-sales/news-story/35b7ec5f3ebc4f50b51e5a506d87ef0e

4. JAW

JAW Well-Known Member

Here's a classic example of a solid house bought at very good price, fairly close to Dohles Rocks road and the upcoming Uni, with outstanding long term capital gains from 2020 onwards.

16 Lerose Avenue Kallangur Qld 4503 - House for Sale #129082742 - realestate.com.au

As somebody with an understanding of local real estate and long term cg potential, this is what prospective buyers with a deep and thorough understanding of long term growth should be looking for.

Houses in this pocket should look forward to substantial gains from 2020 and beyond.

George Smiley and Angel like this.
  5. JAW

JAW Well-Known Member

"Mr McGregor bought his first property last January in Logan through the help of a buyer’s agent—a three-bedroom dwelling on a 750-square metre block, with renovation or development potential. The second one—a four-bedder in Kallangur—was purchased six months later.

The first property was bought for $285,000 while the second property was bought for $410,000. Both properties have gone up in value to around $310,000 and $440, respectively."

Source: Investing without a budget: is it a smart strategy? - Smart Property Investment

A 10% increase in less than a year for the Kallangur property is very respectable. Bring on 2020 and watch the real growth emerge.

6. Seal

Seal Well-Known Member

don't you find that Coronis often advertise low to draw you in?

7. JAW

JAW Well-Known Member

Yes, but hopefully the sold price will be revealed in time. If it was snatched up for around $380k, it was a bargain.

By comparison, this property is horrendously overpriced. 2 Gemini St Kallangur Qld 4503 - House for Sale #128490046 - realestate.com.au

How the agent and seller came to offers over $349k is beyond understanding. The person who took the photos of the property really need to learn how to use a camera and present a property as well.

Last edited: 4th Sep, 2018
    Seal likes this.
  8. hash_investor

hash_investor Well-Known Member

coronis is a bad realty

9. Stephen McGee

Stephen McGee Member

I always find that Coronis are also very difficult to deal with on pricing- very like most other sales agencies

10. fat cactus

fat cactus Well-Known Member

there are currently 54 three bedroom homes for rent in Kallangur. How are people finding vacancy rates in the area?

Cambridge likes this.
  11. hash_investor

hash_investor Well-Known Member

54 is just a number as it does not mean anything. Do you want to compare it with other suburbs? How big are those suburbs and does that 54 include townhouses too? What about single bath or double bath? With large backyard or easy maintenance ? People look for a lot of things when they rent a house and the number 54 alone does not mean anything. You IP will be unique for the prospective renter

JAW and fat cactus like this.
  12. David Shih

David Shih Mortgage Broker Business Member

The number 54 may look daunting but as @hash_investor pointed out, you'll need to break it down further into houses vs townhouses. When I bought around the area in 2016 the vacancy rate was quite high so I was second guessing myself but the house was rented from day 1, rent goes up literally every year and the decent tenant stayed on till now with no issues.

The numbers are skewed due to number of townhouses available for rent which is why you need to break the data down further. Look at how many stock standard houses are available for rent, are they all 3 bedder with 1 bath? If so you may want to consider buying something different, like 3 bedder with 2 bath or 4 bedder instead, to maximize your chances of renting out at a decent rental return with minimum competition.

Cheers,
    David

fat cactus likes this.
  13. SydneyInvestor

SydneyInvestor Well-Known Member

I own a 4 bedder with decent backyard still I feel its difficult there. Tenants are preferring new builds and townhouses as compared to older bigger lots. My rent has not increased since past 3 years as well. My PM says due to competition, there is no chance to increase rent.

14. JAW

JAW Well-Known Member

"THESE are the suburbs where everyone wants to buy a house — the ones in southeast Queensland that have chalked up the highest number of sales in the past 12 months."

"Also achieving more than 400 sales in the past 12 months was Morayfield on 426, Narangba 414 and Kallangur 411."

Source: SEQ’s top suburbs buyers are flocking to

15. piskywolf

piskywolf Member

The vacancy rate is the lowest it's been in 4 years according to SQM at 2.2%

A couple of years back it was about around the 4-5% range. So this is a pretty good indication of the increased demand in the area.

16. JAW

JAW Well-Known Member

"Strong investor demand for quality retail assets are generating strong market interest from local and offshore investors. "

"Three Woolworths-anchored retail outlets were snapped up across the country over the last week as investors attracted to shopping centre sites with heavyweight supermarket tenants reflect a solid trading history and offer strong investment fundamentals."

"The Woolworths-anchored Kallangur Fair Shopping Centre, located 24 kilometres north of Brisbane CBD, was acquired by an offshore investor for a premium $21.38 million."

"“The sale process generated multiple offers from local and offshore buyer groups, including private investors, syndicators and fund managers,” Tyson said."

Source: Investors Snap Up $55m Worth of Woolworths

piskywolf likes this.
  17. JAW

JAW Well-Known Member

The Mill Moreton Bay Redevelopment Project Update - September 2018

"Project overview

Work on the Mill at Moreton Bay project is well underway following the official commencement ceremony on July 4, 2018.

During the commencement ceremony, USC unveiled an impressive scale model of its Moreton Bay campus to more than 150 academic and business leaders, and representatives of the local community.

Earlier this year, the University of the Sunshine Coast (USC) received Development Approval for their foundation building and construction crews are now onsite busily conducting preliminary works for the building.

Once complete, the 23,000-square metre foundation building will boast $10 million worth of state-of-the-art technology, simulation facilities and engineering facilities as well as a 400-seat lecture theatre. The project is expected to generate $950 million in economic activity, 6000 ongoing jobs and 10,000 tertiary student places in the first 10 years.

In addition to these works, tenders have been called for the upgrading of Gympie Road between the North Pine River and the Queensland Rail corridor bridges to create a new intersection for the main entry into The Mill redevelopment site. This roadwork will involve widening and improvements to Gympie Road, a new entry for Wyllie Park and removal of the existing Paper Avenue intersection. Access to the Petrie Station car park will be maintained to minimise any disruption to commuters.

Council also recently announced that The Mill will support the regions first rollout of smart city network technology including smart public lighting solutions, as well as the ability for other services like wi-fi, smart parking sensors, CCTV and electric vehicle (EV) charging ports."

Source: https://www.moretonbay.qld.gov.au/u...ity/the-mill-project-update-september2018.pdf

MoneyMan likes this.
  18. TapTap

TapTap Well-Known Member

Great thread, loving the comments. Having recently moved from Sydney to Scarborough (Redcliffe) I now travel through Kallangur every day on the new train line on the way to the city. Before I pass any comments on the suburb.. what about that station!! 20m in the air... I feel like I'm on a rollercoaster every time we go through. bloody awesome. a must try.
    Petrie would have to be the pick from that little boomerang of suburbs, the Uni is going to be a game changer. Old news of course, so understandable if yields drive you towards suburbs like Kallangur. My question is - would uni students still want to live in the suburbs Strathpine to Kallangur? there doesn't seem to be a great deal of amenity there.. where are the 'cool' bars, coffee shops and hipster grocery shops? every thing still seems a little stuck in time there..
    I tend to think students will be trying to stay either as close to town (as they can afford) or as close to the coast (as they can afford).

19. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Yes Strathpine and Kallangur are in a time warp. The Mill itself will have trendy cafes, similar to when QUT was developed many years ago.

The main commercial strips through Anzac Avenue at Kallangur and Gympie Rd Strathpine are being redeveloped too, but it doesnt really make the newspapers. The shopping centres have been sold in the last two years to overseas companies and are slowly being improved. Albany Creek and Warner (higher socio-economic suburbs west and sw of Strathpine) are at the 21st Century, and North Lakes is the main centre. I dont know about other suburbs, but I think I read that Kippa Ring will be redeveloped shortly and Burpengary is consistently developing well.

There are other similar threads from pre-trainline years where we debated the potential growth of the sea-change Redcliffe peninsula vs inland super-daggy Kippa Ring with a train station.

Ten years from now we wont recognise any of the suburbs along Gympie Road and Anzac Avenue.

JAW likes this.
  20. JAW

JAW Well-Known Member

Angel makes some very good points.

As I have said many times before, I strongly believe that in time properties in Kallangur that are "South of Anzac ave" will be at a premium to those that are North. They'll be just as close, if not closer to the Uni than most houses in Petrie, which will appeal to students. Access to 2 train lines and 2 stations (Kallangur and Petrie), quick access to the motorway down Dohles, walking distance to North Leagues Club for cheap drinks. 5 minute drive to North lakes.

Kallangur will become a divided suburb, between those properties that are North of Anzac Ave, and those that are South which have walking or very quick access to all benefits and infrastructure.

This is why, strategically, I encourage as close to Dohles Rocks road as possible.

Angel likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.