Kaboodle + Ikea = ??

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Freeman, 27th Mar, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Freeman

Freeman New Member

Hi.
    Looking to Reno our kitchen.
    Ikea has quoted, $500 for 1x3 drawer unit ?
    Seems expensive to me
    (I stand to be corrected if this is the norm)
    I looked at reviews for Kaboodle kitchens (ex Bunnings) From what I read the majority of negative reviews were for the cabinet doors so...... I'm wondering if you can use Kaboodle cabinets and Ikea doors and internals ??
    Good Bad or Ugly, I'd like to hear your thoughts,advice.
    Cheers all
    Rosi

2. sdprop

sdprop Active Member

Hi Rosi,
    The two brands most likely use slightly different hole layouts for assembly therefore, unless you're handy on the tools, it maybe tricky to mix and match.
    I've used Kaboodle in my laundry in it was cost effective because I know a Bunnings trade rep so got a great price. I have a friend that put a whole Ikea kitchen in and it looks great and was very well priced.
    One thing I notice being in the trade is people think they know what things cost but their estimate is unrealistic. I do it myself a lot too. I suggest dropping into Bunnings and pricing the same cabinet with the same gear (Kaboodle sell components so you will need the carcess, runners, doors etc).

Freeman likes this.
  3. Knights of Ni

Knights of Ni Well-Known Member

You're looking to reno a kitchen and you are struggling to spend $500? ...well good luck with that. All kitchens are boxes with different doors and hardware. It will also need to be installed and then you have countertops, splashbacks, appliances as well as electrical and plumbing. That's assuming you do the demolition. Time to really think about your plan and budget properly.

4. Hodor

Hodor Well-Known Member

Not enough info. What's the width and depth?

I have done a couple of IKEA kitchens and have turned out well. Pricing have always been competitive with elsewhere

5. Freeman

Freeman New Member

I've just re read my post and I don't see a reference to "affording " or "struggling".
    I actually have a budget that is decent.
    My question was in regards to ONE unit being $500 and whether this was the norm
    If it is, so be it.
    I am aware of what a kitchen Reno comprises of,but cheers for the breakdown !
    Guess I did ask for good,bad or Ugly.

6. Freeman

Freeman New Member

Thankyou. I do have quotes for both Kaboodle and Ikea .
    I understand what you're saying in regards to cost expectations. How old is your Kaboodle laundry and are you still happy with it ?

7. sdprop

sdprop Active Member

Just installed it and Im happy with it. Very easy to put together and looks nice in the laundry. I have seen an Ikea kitchen up close and it looked good. Im not sure that they have 16mm back panels though. If they have that 4 mm stuff then they are rubbish.

8. neK

neK Well-Known Member

If redoing kitchen, I'd go custom. Works out cheaper and better and installed for you.

I've had a U shape kitchen (2.4 x 3.3m) with 40mm stone and poly doors fully installed for 9k.

jjbeagle, EN710, Shazz@ and 2 others like this.
  9. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

All drawers?

10. neK

neK Well-Known Member

Two sets of drawers.
    One set was 1m wide as well (3 drawers) and the other 600mm wide (3 drawers)
    All with Blum softclose too
    Rest were cabinet doors

11. neK

neK Well-Known Member

i will add though, relocating plumbing and electrical was extra (and I coordinated those tradies).

I also installed the rangehood and kitchen sink myself.

Obviously extra, but those costs would be payable regarded whether you went Bunnings or IKEA.

12. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

IKEA kitchens are not waterproofed correctly and will bubble up in a couple of years.

13. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Drawer units are unfortunately way more expensive than just door and shelf units. Which is why when you look at cheaper homes they are full of just cupboards with doors and only one set of drawers.
    Is that $500 installed or just to buy in the DIY mode? They take a lot more work to put together so that might be part of the price if it's the installed price.

jjbeagle likes this.
  14. Bee-mumma

Bee-mumma Well-Known Member

Kaboodle wins hands down for quality and durability. IKEA is great if you need smaller sized cabinetry. I’ve used both in kitchens and laundries.

15. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

We've installed a couple of IKEA kitchens, both were the cheapest of the cheap no frills flat white everything. The oldest of the two is only a few years old now but it all still looks perfect.

Our brother-in-law installed a "high end" Kaboodle Kitchen a couple of years ago and we were terribly disappointed with it. It looks cheap.

On anything other than bargain basement, I'd be looking at a cabinetmaker.

jjbeagle likes this.
  16. neK

neK Well-Known Member

I installed a cheapy custom made kitchen (locally made kitchen manufacturer).
    Cost me $3k back in 2003. Poly doors with laminate benchtop.

Still looking good in 2018 (I have had to replace the appliances though - they were looking tired) :D

Tip: Between tenancies, remove the silicon (its usually looking like crap by this point) between the splashback and benchtop and apply a new bead of silicon. Helps prolong the benchtop and makes the kitchen look nice and clean again.

17. beesknees

beesknees New Member

18. neK

neK Well-Known Member

@beesknees
    What kind of kitchen are you after?

1. Full custom (ie any size cabinet can be made) - built in Australia
    2. Semi Custom (cabinets are specific sizes and they use filler panels) - Made in china, flatpack shipped to Australia, cabinets then assembled in Australia at the factor, kitchen installer can then install kitchen in a day.

Last edited: 31st Oct, 2018
  19. beesknees

beesknees New Member

Thanks for your reply.
    I'd prefer made in Australia, from Australian-made materials, to minimise any VOC. I assume that's slower and more expensive, so I guess it will come down to how much.

20. neK

neK Well-Known Member