Jobs

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by MTR, 30th Jun, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

We would never do what Taiwan did in Australia due to human right violations

2. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Taiwan did amazing.... I don't hear their people complaining btw. If I was Taiwanese, I'd be so happy with the response. Ditto New Zealanders. Ps. Read my signature.

3. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Exactly what I am saying - people's perception of "full lockdown" is open to interpretation. My point - they FULLY locked down their borders immediately (overnight - no "we'll close it at 1am Saturday sort of deal) AND locked up or expunged ANY potential covid carrier (people who had recently come in from mainland) ~~ OK except for one stooooopid case where a bunch of navy sailors went on a party spree on town......

As you say - we would never do it here - too many complaints, loud voices.... but it WOULD have kept thousands and thousands of jobs, would have kept all domestic travel and tourism open.... it's food for thought - back to the old "needs of many vs the needs of the few".

The Y-man

wylie, Gockie and MTR like this.
  4. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I believe we are able to still do this. We have low enough cases that it is not too late to lock down hard and eradicate what we have here and then move forward from there.

5. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Yes, exactly..... they got it right and high density too boot

Hong Kong similar scenario, not full lockdown

6. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Side note
    My friend lecturer in China, but told to not come back due to China/Australia relations. His been there for 5 years, now back in Oz

Covid has caused great damage in terms of global relationships. Its a ripple effect that has yet to unfold.

This thread is about jobs, so you can imagine the impact of people working in China but are Australian how this could play out??

Last edited: 9th Aug, 2020
  7. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

We dont live in Taiwan they dont have the Luxury of the freedom of speech we have here In Australia?

I like your signature, so very true

8. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

because of global lockdowns it impacted on all borders, therefore impacting on all economies.

9. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

The previous Gov party was a shocker - plenty of people were jailed and tortured for speaking out a few decades ago. The party got kicked out in the last elections - the current DPP is very pro-western (look up news on USA-TW relations of late).

The Y-man

10. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

OK, will do

11. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Last edited: 22nd Aug, 2020
  12. Omnidragon

Omnidragon Well-Known Member

Taiwan is a US vassal state basically. It does have freedom of speech though ... times have changed from 3 decades ago

13. Speede

Speede Well-Known Member

14. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Will this happen??? Very much doubt this

15. albanga

albanga Well-Known Member

It won’t be forced but it will.
    No travel, No JobKeeper/Seeker, No Childcare, No Retirement Homes, No PrivateHealth (or triple the cost), No Income Protection (or triple the cost). And on and on and on.

DueDiligence likes this.
  16. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

If this happens... ........ we will have to change our catch cry....... “the lucky country”

17. albanga

Except every first world country in the world will be doing the same thing.

DueDiligence likes this.
  18. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I get it..... some pain ahead

19. albanga

Not necessarily. I don’t think it will be a Big Bang approach. They will start with targeting the optional things first I reckon.
    Travel, private health, childcare .etc

It would be suicide to go straight for the jugular with income. They will slowly introduce this and maybe by that time if they do have a vaccine it will have come through the initial live beta stage.

The only exception being job keeper in certain industries may be mandatory....if it’s even going by then though TBH.

20. Melbourne_guy

Melbourne_guy Well-Known Member

I disagree - vaccination will only be successful if it is by persuasion. ScoMo shouting from his Canberra throne on mandatory vaccination when there isn't even a solution, isn't impressing anyone. On the general principle, demonstrate firstly the vaccination is safe and the vast majority of the population will be in agreement and accept it as happens currently with other vaccinations. However, there are a stubborn number who will never accept vaccination and breaking the problem down into scaleable parts, the focus needs to be on addressing the non-vaccination problem posed by the latter group.

The USA can't even get a sizeable amount of its population to wear a facemask when people are being infected and dying all around them so good luck with 'targeted enforcement' there. There are also many European countries where it will be vehemently opposed if enforcement is by targeted threats instead of persuasion.

Such is the general mistrust of politicians and this is not going to be an easy problem to overcome.

Simon Hampel and albanga like this.