James Dawson commercial property training?

Discussion in 'Commercial Property' started by Keen novice, 29th Mar, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

I did the Helen Tarrant course and unfortunately based on that, I'd say there's no secret to commercial. What she mainly advises is to buy is to buy in country/regional towns for the better yields but look for the most stable leaseholders.
    I doubt there's a huge amount of CG in country towns.

For the 8 or 9% net yields personally I'm more comfortable buying shares. Shares generally yields a bit less than 8 or 9% but they are near zero hassle. And you won't have vacancy issues.

Bender12, GOU and Creamy like this.
  2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

For anyone interested, this blog is put on by an inner west agent (don't know them from a bar of soap) but does provide some good insights and interesting reading for the basics.

Commercial blog.

The Falcon and Perthguy like this.
  3. Student

Student Well-Known Member

Thank you for the replies. Apologies, I am not sure why I did not see the replies come up until now - probably because I am new to this site. In the meantime, I did sign up to the Helen Tarrant course to give it a try (not knowing there was a reply on her course). I probably agree with you on the assessment that you need to go further out to obtain the yields, looks like it might be difficult. I am yet to go through the entire course though.

So it looks like you need to take on increased risk for that return.

Perthguy likes this.
  4. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

He sounds amazing
    The only way you are going to know whether it's worth it or not is to give it a go and see if it's going to work for you.,

I have never ever attended a course or seminar on anything and found it to not be worth it. There is always a new perspective to wake up to. Then again, I just love continuous learning.

5. thesuperman

thesuperman Well-Known Member

I've just watched one of his webinars and there was absolutely nothing in it that stood out. His examples of his students buys were very very average deals (I would say shockers of a deal personally) eg. buying a shop with a small no-name Butchers shop or another shop with 2x1 lease with CPI increases and it being a gross rent. If that's what he's teaching in his paid courses, I wouldn't spend a cent on them. Would be interesting to hear from peeps who done his course if there was anything worth paying for in it and what they learnt.

Not to mention about the last 30mins of the 83min webinar was a sales pitch of his course...

Last edited: 4th May, 2017
  6. thesuperman

thesuperman Well-Known Member

Just checked out her LinkedIn page. You gotta laugh when you see someone who was a Beauty Therapist decide she's going to teach others how to be a commercial property expert about 6 months after she finished with her salon business. How could she have the experience & knowledge to teach?? Especially if all she teaches is how to buy property in whoop whoop where anyone with their eyes closed and without thinking can pick up high yielding properties there.

Last edited: 4th May, 2017
    qak likes this.
  7. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

A very open ended question - sort of like, are there houses in NSW that will go up in value? :)

You'll need to refine the question a bit - a few more parameters I think to get a useful response.

For example DFO Homebush has a cap rate 6%, discount rate 8% Weighted Av Lease Exp 2.6 years

6 Macdonald Rd in Ingleburn has a cap rate 7.25% (no disc rate given) single tenant lease exp 2.2 year

The Y-man

8. Bobby

Bobby New Member

My husband attended the seminar and has put deposit but i'm not sure if it is really good... did you find good property lists from her?

9. Bobby

Bobby New Member

Hi do you mind to share your experience please?? My husband attend the seminar and has put deposit but i'm trying to find anything about her to be sure and can't find anything which is odd...

10. Scott No Mates

Article from the AFR - good article and not just the upside.

@Bobby - The only articles on Helen Tarrant are her own/associated websites. Steer clear of seminars selling property.

Bobby and Sackie like this.
  11. 7020

7020 Well-Known Member

I think I need to get out there and start running "Commercial Property Investing Seminars" :p,

But in regards to the OP, I place very little value in Seminars or Property Courses. Usually my biggest take away from them in the past was motivational (this was before I started working in CPM)

Perthguy likes this.
  12. Scott No Mates

I'll lend a hand ;)

7020 likes this.
  13. damode

damode Member

Hi Y-man,

Just wondering where you get your market research data from?

Thanks..

14. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

15. damode

damode Member

Haha, thanks mate.

16. Scott No Mates

17. Student

Student Well-Known Member

Sorry, I did not see this question until now. I think that the course aims to assist you to understand commercial property and find appropriate investments. In the end, however, there probably is not much science to it, which is both good and bad. The difficulty is finding properties that actually meet the minimum yield or return requirements that the course suggests are on offer. To find these, you generally need to go to regional or country areas that may in turn have additional risk, which is why the potential yields are higher. In the current market, metropolitan areas do not offer the returns that the course suggests are possible. This means that unless you are prepared to invest in areas that are generally unfamiliar to many (and therefore may carry more risk), you may not be able to actually implement what the course is meant to achieve (buying sound commercial investment property).

Perthguy likes this.
  18. Hamish1984

Hamish1984 New Member

How are you finding the course? Money well spent? Is it possible to make a decent passive income of $25k + with a deposit of $70k of income is $75k pa?

Strawb likes this.
  19. Hamish1984

Hamish1984 New Member

That's a real let down. So would you suggest residential duplex, dual key or good growth areas still a better option than commercial for safer easier investment? I'm a first time investor trying to decide what path I take. Where I invest.

20. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

My understanding is yes, if lenders are still offering lease doc loans. A broker will be able to advise you on this. Tagging @Brady, @Toby, @Corey Batt, @Jess Peletier, @Rolf Latham and many more great brokers on this forum but I can only tag 5.