I've put an offer in for a property.....

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by JK200SX, 4th Aug, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

So their range is $365K to $395K and you've offered $350K?

I'm guessing they are annoyed with such a lowball offer and have countered at the top of their range as a sort of protest, to put you in your place (just guessing - that is what I would do unless I was desperate to sell).

If you think it is worth $365K compared to similar houses, then other buyers will likely think the same and it may sell for $365K. Will you think "bummer... should have just offered $365K" if it sells for $365K?

I prefer not to play silly games with lowball offers (and I'm not saying you shouldn't do what you want to do, unless you really don't care if someone else gets it.)

Tekoz, 380 and Esh like this.
  2. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

Asking prices or ranges shouldnt mean anything to you in terms of what its worth. You should havr a figure or range that you think its worth and work on that

Thay being said you can scream snd yell at the agent at how ridicukous it is
    Or you can hard ball and withdraw or up your offer slightly

Depends how keen you are or if its a great deal

3. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Agree, and OP has said it is probably worth the bottom of the range (in his opinion). So such a lowball offer is likely seen to be quite insulting, and I can understand them coming back with the counter offer at the very top. I'd guess they would likely sell to anybody else first rather than deal with this person again.

If they were not insulted, I believe they would have countered with something other than the highest of the range.

You need to be careful using such tactics, and I'd never do that unless I really didn't care if it went to someone else. I've never lowballed. I have offered less than asking, but not insultingly less.

4. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

FYI, my view is that Mernda is a bit of a slow market - lots of H&L for sale, plenty of land just been opened up for development, lots of stock (re com returns 176 houses for sale).
    Not much transport infrastructure at present either.

So IMHO low balling/walk away is probably not a bad tactic for the area.

The Y-man

KMD and Tekoz like this.
  5. JK200SX

JK200SX Well-Known Member

Agent still hasn't emailed contract yet..... I guess I'll just wait for his move?
    If it looks fair dinkum, perhaps I should up price to 365K?

6. The Y-man

Up to you if you want to pay a tad more.

There's a few things here - the sheer fact the agent entertained your offer to the point of getting you to sign the contract means there was probably no-one else remotely interested. Good for you.

I'd say he is waiting for other potential buyers to get back to him with a better offer (he has a few days until your offer expires).

The Y-man

Sackie likes this.
  7. Big Will

Big Will Well-Known Member

Up to you how you play the game, either increase your offer I wouldn't go straight to 365k if you think that is a max price you would pay. You might increase it to 360k and tell the REA 'I was hoping to keep a little extra in the bank for the repairs and assist with purchasing costs'.

Or you can just put it back on them and say the price these vendors are expecting are not reality and you are going to check out x y z property instead however if the vendors are interested in actually selling let you know as you did like xxxx feature.

8. JK200SX

Yes, the agent has emailed back the counteroffer. He said he will keep me posted on other offers, and interestingly he said that there was to be another offer placed on the house this morning - but have not heard anything yet. I spoke to him briefly(about special conditions) and he said they will be coming in in the afternoon....

9. Chilliblue

Chilliblue Well-Known Member

You will either get it or you won't. Try to take the emotion out of it and work on Plan B then Plan C and so on.

Sackie likes this.
  10. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I agree with Chilliblue. Once they sense weakness and desperation - its over. They will either get you to pay more or jerk you around for awhile until they decide who is the best offer.

11. JK200SX

Agents come back saying another party has put unconditional offer at 370K @45 day settlement. They also said vendor has dropped to 390K.

12. Jamie_

Jamie_ Well-Known Member

find another property

13. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I agree with you @wylie about not lowballing unless you don't care. Although really one should never commit themselves to a point of caring too much. With regards to lowballing...I gotta say I have made plenty and a fraction of them being accepted has made it more than worth it in the end. I'm happy to 'insult' 9 people with low offers if the 10th accepts it :D

But I respect everyone has their own approach too.

14. S.T

S.T Well-Known Member

Ah, is that new? Have to say my last few places in Vic were bought at auction, so haven't seen the REIV contract for a few years.

15. Esh

Esh Well-Known Member

Just curious, was there a reason to delay settlement? I think in this market, if you want to have special terms then you really need to offer a good price. There has to be a balance of win/win.

Also another thing to have in mind if you put in a lowball offer, that you don't want to keep going back and make offers. Each time you make an offer the owner will just question how much more you have in your pocket

Sackie likes this.
  16. The Y-man

I think so - though I was out of the market for a while too....

The Y-man

17. Big Will

Big Will Well-Known Member

Yes it is correct 3 day expiry unless otherwise stated, it is stated on the first page where both parties sign.

So if you put down 1 day then it is one clear business day otherwise it will be 3 clear business days.

The cooling off remains unchanged.

18. S.T

S.T Well-Known Member

Thanks guys, good to know Victoria is at the forefront once again ;)

19. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Sounds good, but offer an odd figure like $359,212.

20. AusMover

AusMover Well-Known Member

Hi xornr89,

This is interetsing..... So, just to clarify, did you negotiate on the price even after the Contract of Sale was signed by you with the offer and/or it was accepted? :confused:

Or was the Building & Pest Inspection conducted first, and then you made your offer post the report?

Usually, the Building & Pest Inspection is done after the Contract of Sale is signed and accepted, and we can't change the Offer Price after the offer has been accepted, right?

Thank you. :)

Price Accounting are a leading tax service for your property + tax issues. Contact Paul@PFI for property focussed tax services using our client portal access, digital signing and checklist based approach for best pricing. Free client pack included.