Issue in the new unit after Settlement

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by Kevin M, 21st Jan, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Kevin M

Kevin M New Member

Hi,

I got the settlement done of a new unit(approx 70sqm) in NSW on 15th of Jan and I was going to move in this week but today I got a call from a person from the builder's company saying that there has been an issue in our unit and asked me to come and meet him in the apartment. After reaching there he mentioned to me that he want to have a look of our unit since there was some plumbing work going on in the neighboring unit(on the same floor) and some blunder happened because of which there was water on the entire floor and it also went into all of the units on the same floor. After opening the door we saw that there was water everywhere in the unit and the carpet was totally ruined and deeply soaked in the water. The person from builder's side said to me that he will get the entire carpet changed in a week for free. He took the key of the entry lock from me in order to remove the carpet & replace a new one. Personally I do not prefer carpets much. Since it got ruined I asked the builder if they could fix the tiles instead of new carpet. He said that I will have to pay extra in case if I want to have tiles fixed. Now I have couple of questions regarding this:-

1) Is if safe to leave the key with the builder after settlement?

2) Can the builder fix tiles at reasonable rates(or he will charge more) if I want to or it would be good if I find and select the tiles as well as the tiler myself? How can I figure out that the builder/tiler is charging reasonable?

3) If I choose the builder to fix the tiles- What process should I follow? Eg.,Should I get the quote and different options of suitable tiles from him? What can I do to make sure he does the best job of fixing tiles?

Thanks

2. Archaon

Archaon Well-Known Member

Do you have a copy of the key to the unit so you still have access?

Did you do a final inspection before settlement?

Did you have building insurance before settlement?

The builder has a warranty and may well be replacing carpets under that, tiles would be extra (+20% builders margin).

You would perhaps be better to get a refund on the carpets and engage a tiler yourself, though I have no idea how difficult this would be in a newly constructed unit, it may well be easier just to get the builder to do it.

Kevin M and Stoffo like this.
  3. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

How about being compensated for loss of use ?
    You can't use your space due to someone else's incompetence !
    Bet it takes far longer than "a week" ...........
    Get everything via email (in writting)

Kevin M, wylie and Archaon like this.
  4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Changing to tiles will require BC approval or a special by-law. The builder doesn't own the building anymore. How are you going stop noise transmission to the floor below?

This is not a variation as the construction is complete and the occupation certificate issued/property settled.

Insurer only has a responsibilty to replace like for like or provide a cash payment (which will be the commercial rate for carpet replacement) nowhere near what tiles & underlay will cost.

Stoffo and Kevin M like this.
  5. turk

turk Well-Known Member

I would be checking whether there was any damage to skirting boards, kick boards, plaster etc.

6. Kevin M

Kevin M New Member

Yes we do have a second key and we can access the unit.

We also did the final inspection before settlement and everything was fine.

We also have the building insurance.

Jasmine likes this.
  7. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

You would want to have a good think about this,did the water level enter the bathroom-kitchen area's--Doors-- because if they are mdf or chipboard then it does NOT end well sitting in water..
    Ring up your insurance and after they give you a claim number,ask them to come up and look at the damage as it may be more then just wet carpets..

Last edited: 21st Jan, 2020
    Jasmine, wylie, Westminster and 4 others like this.