Is this normal? Gap between slab and Brickwork

Discussion in 'Development' started by M M, 5th Feb, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. M M

M M Member

Hi All,

Have built before but have not noticed this before, could be perfectly normal or could be as it appears poorly done.

Please note the gaps that are obvious around the slab and the walls.

If anyone could provide some guidance that would be most appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

It's quite "normal" in that I've seen this quite often in Perth. If this was a slab for a timber framed house it would NEVER be that bad as they put the frames on top of the slab so the edges are beautiful and in the very correct spot.
    Most likely the builder will fill up the gap with some extra concrete
    If you are concerned (and I would be in general with most builders in Perth) it doesn't hurt to get a few building inspections (2 or 3) for peace of mind and for some back up if you want to fight on quality/standards.

Perthguy likes this.
  3. M M

M M Member

Thanks Westminster. Appreciate the response mate.

4. MArchi

MArchi New Member

Shouldn't be obvious. The brickwork should sits nicely/comfortably on the slab. Speaking from an architect's perspective, I would say it's a poor workmanship.

5. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Add to that, the walls haven't been cement rendered, skirtings and floor coverings will cover the rest.

6. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

My build in Perth looked similar, but not as bad, after the cement render and whiteset went on. The builder slopped in some concrete to fill up the holes.

Mine was a no skirts build so they couldn't rely on that to hide sloppy workmanship

7. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

They must do things differently in WA. When I did strip footings with infill slabs, the slab would go across the brickwork, these ones look as if the slab is stopped short and the brickwork is laid in the gap - too much allowance for brickwork.

8. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

These are for double brick walls, with an inner skin and an outer skin.

The way it is supposed to be done is:

pour the slab and the footings for the outer skin

lay the inner skin on the edge of the slab

lay the outer skin on the footings

neat edges where the bricks meet the slab

The way it's actually done

pour the slab wherever, near enough.

dribble in some footings

the edge of the slab where the inner skin is supposed to go is missing or wonky so the bricklayer has to do their best to build up the missing slab with mortar

This leaves large holes between the inner skin and the concrete pad. I could see the ground through some of the holes at my build. The builder subsequently mixes up a loose concrete mix and dribbles the concrete into the holes. Admittedly, under a tiled floor no one is going to notice. I just find it sloppy. I can tell you the bricky at my build was very unimpressed with the state of the slab.

9. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

I did forget to mention one thing. The footing that goes around and under the slab supports the outer brick wall. If they have short poured the slab then the footing may be as well so the outer wall won't be sitting on the footing. Generally footings are quite wide and not an issue BUT it doesn't hurt to check (or get your inspector) to make sure the outer brick wall is sitting on the true footings.

If the footings is not wide enough they will have to pour some more and properly tie it into the original footings. Dodgy types will get the brickie to just throw some cement onto the ground and hope for the best

Perthguy likes this.