Is there a rule of thumb calculation for rental return?

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by Dan Donoghue, 30th Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Veech

Veech Well-Known Member

shouldnt depreciation to be looked at while calculating rental yeild. Yes its a bonus from tax man but its still money in your pocket when you still have taxable income.

2. lightbulbmoment

lightbulbmoment Well-Known Member

I was also told this rule but I have never seen it happen once you get over 600k.

3. Steven Ryan

Steven Ryan Well-Known Member

By definition, if you are calculating your rental yield, you are calculating your rental yield. Depreciation isn't rental income :)

I have a spreadsheet for calculating "holding costs" (or lack thereof) before/after tax and all income/expenses are factored in including stuff like depreciation, property manager costs, maintenance/levies/rates etc.

4. Fargo

Fargo Well-Known Member

The rule I use to instantly work out the minimum rent required to make a property viable and an instant money maker is $100p/w per $100k + $60. If it is less it is not sustainable and it may impede your ability to access capital growth. Capital growth is useless if you cant access it, or have to keep working to use it.

5. chindonly

chindonly Well-Known Member

How about you just get a rental appraisal from a PM. Its free!
    However, I usually deduct 5-10% from what they say - tends to be a little inflated to help them get the job of managing.

6. Chilliblue

Chilliblue Well-Known Member

Your own research though should always be undertaken as we have had several in the last few months give rental appraisals 10-15% below what we actually achieved.

wylie likes this.