Travel & Holidays Is 'the lap' boring?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by ellejay, 16th Sep, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Lapp dancers are from Finland, so they only use Poles when they can't Finnish.

ellejay and Scott No Mates like this.
  2. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Well they rely on at least some pole to work..:D

ellejay likes this.
  3. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Doing the wa coast by automobile really gives you an appreciation of how bloody big and vast the country is! Broome is a very cool quirky town but doing the drive makes you look at it different i think. The people flying in probably do not realise how isolated the town really is, plus not get a full appreciation of its cultural history. It has a Bali type feel because of the locals and the way it's grown so untouched and undisturbed by the cities and 20th century. It's still a cool town to visit

4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

None that you'd want to know about ;)

5. Travelbug

Travelbug Well-Known Member

I hate long driving days. A few 4hr ones driving up from Lightning Ridge was enough. We'll probably drive to Perth then fly from there for a few days. We are in Katherine now. Was thinking of driving here in winter but may just fly to Darwin and hire a car and explore this area more. My daughter is living here for a while. Everything is so spread out.

6. ellejay

ellejay Well-Known Member

Arrived in Yapoon for a couple of days. Now this area is nice. Beautiful coast and beaches, not too hot, inexpensive real estate. I'd put this area on my possible retirement/holiday home short list. 20161227_170445_1.jpg

7. geoffw

I suspect that's a typo for Yeppoon and not another hidden place?

8. ellejay

Thanks for the pick up Geoff :oops: I've got no idea where I am to be honest, but your suggestion sounds close :p

Sackie and geoffw like this.
  9. bob shovel

You can break up the days and drive at your own pace but it's more of beach days and bush than towns.

Id think doing oz first would be better for people as they age. It's pretty full on around Australia with the bush walks and distances between drinks. When Europe is more a catered trip worrh bus trips and cities much closer together

ellejay likes this.
  10. bob shovel

Here's our lap we did in just under 3 years. We're back in the big smoke now
    IMG_20161223_063108.jpg

ellejay, WattleIdo and Sackie like this.
  11. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

@bob shovel I see no favourite spots anywhere....You sure you past Bondi Beach at all mate...:p

12. ellejay

13. bob shovel

I have a special connection with bondi :) nearly 3 years playing with poo of the rich and famous :cool: you can thank me for bondi bay's crystal clear water

ellejay and Sackie like this.
  14. Travelbug

We are not the sit on bus tour type people. We cruise (the easy part) or travel independently. Cobble stone streets are not easy to negotiate when you are old hence wanting to do that while we can. We want to buy a motorhome and drive around America, And also UK but will do that later too.
    Also we have flight travel perks that run out in 7 years. I don't want to waste that sitting in a motorhome. So doing 2- 3 month trips a year overseas suits us. I'd stay longer but our insurance only allows 90 days at a time. The rest of the time we will motorhome. That suits us at the moment and while we can afford it we will continue.
    Thanks for the map. We have met quite a few people doing the lap.We will take each year as it comes but I think we will cover a lot just doing 2-3 month stints.

skater likes this.
  15. geoffw

What insurance is that? Normal travel insurance appears to have a 12 month lifetime; even then it can be switched to a new company for another 12 months.

16. Travelbug

We have 12 month insurance and just renew it every year but it only allows you to be away from home for 90 days at a time. Most only allow 60 days at a time, some only 45 days.
    Searching for a new company after next year as they only cover to 65 (hubby's age next year).

ellejay likes this.
  17. geoffw

OK. For each of my daughters they had a single trip policy which covered for 12 months. If you want a longer trip, perhaps that option will be better for you? It might cost you more but would allow for a single long trip rather than multiple short trips so would be cheaper overall. They actually stayed 18 months, so just before the end of 12 months we switched to a new company- they wouldn't let us renew with the same company.

18. bob shovel

Wow great plans!! I need to get my act together with this property game :)

2-3 months stints are the way to go i think. You can cover some ground and have a holiday rather than constantly on the go. We never set out to do "a lap" we prefer zig zag and struggle with the thought that some families sell everything they own to buy a caravan and travel. Id hate to have left sydney and then come back to find house prices have near doubled while you were away! It would be very hard to get back in the market and re establish

19. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Is Yappoon is the secret location for doggie heaven?

20. ellejay

Wow, Byron Bay is rather beautiful!

20170101_115044.jpg

Gockie likes this.