Health & Family Is sugar the new fat?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Lizzie, 2nd Feb, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Xenia likes this.
  2. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

I think anything refined is unnatural and has negative consequences whether it's sugar, fat, protein, vitamins.

Anything in raw form and whole is healthy whether it contains sugar, fat, proteins or whatever.

It's not the individual elements it's the fact that they are tampered with.

If you eat sugar cane it won't be as bad having sugar in refined form.

3. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

Who gave that two years old enough sweets to rot the teeth and not cleaning up?? I've got holes in double digit, so lesson learnt.

I thought it's quite established that sugar is fat... If you ate too much of it.

4. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Sugar is an addictive drug being pushed by big business to make money.

It takes a lot of will power to break its hold. Then you suffer withdrawal and possible depression.

While you're in that vulnerable state, Commercial advertising comes along and delivers some attractive thing with a chocolate bar in mouth and whammo! you're hooked again.

Aaarrrhh where's the Cadbury. I'll go white chocolate. I think it's healthier, I'll eat the whole bar and then another half.

Lizzie and Foxdan like this.
  5. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

wow a small bottle of coke has 16 teaspoons of sugar.

Great doco.

6. Steven Ryan

Steven Ryan Well-Known Member

Just checking, was this tongue in cheek?

It's hard for me to tell as I've long had a keen focus on health and very good understanding of the nutritional composition of most foods and have lost perspective.

EN710 likes this.
  7. Terry_w

Nope serious. I knew coke had a lot of sugar, but 16 teaspoons is way more than expected. Even tins of tuna has sugar!

And it is a great documentary, just finsihed watching it.

8. Steven Ryan

Steven Ryan Well-Known Member

Cheers.

Yep, something I really recommend everyone do is learn to read the nutritional info panels on food. Once you have it down it takes seconds to glance at the per 100g/100ml breakdown of a product to see the % of sugar, protein, fats. And when you've done that for a while you'll have an intuitive understanding across the board as everything becomes ingrained.

I didn't watch the video but I'd suggest if it wasn't covered, check out how much fructose in in fruits as well. It's remarkable how we have this perception of "healthy" = not processed/grows naturally.. not really the case. Yes, a mango is better than a packet of lollies, but not as much as you would think.

9. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

I dropped sugar 3 weeks ago. Still smash the odd Kentucky dinner box or Red Rooster but so far I have lost 4.5kg. Cutting sugar works, give it a go.

Steven Ryan likes this.
  10. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

Yeah sugar is nasty.

I just listened to a great Joe Rogan podcast where he interviewed Mark Sisson who is part of the paleo movement. He raised some really good points which has left me reconsidering some of the stuff I consume.

11. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

They did cover the fructose ... and a lot of other factors like soft drink being cheaper to buy than water - and the food companies arguing it was personal choice to consume, whilst there were babies sucking on bottles of cola - interviews with intelligent people who cut sugar and the withdrawal symptoms - also focused on the health implications with doctors who weren't afraid to speak out in the hospital ward, and their patients - then onto a lab where they developed new food lines and talked about how much "hidden" sugar was added at the request of the marketers ...

EN710 likes this.
  12. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Thanks for the link,and after the how many teaspoons of sugar in just one small coke then if you add rum it would be even more ,there was a poster on the other site called winston wolfe who posted about this a long time ago,and the sugar stop sign for me was how long it takes to burn a fast foods outlets full size hamburger off ,but you can have a sugar free diet with raw foods and just drink water..

13. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

You don't even need to go completely "sugar free" ... as the professional couple, that cut sugar significantly and lost 20+ kg each, said ... as long as something like a sauce (ie, curry sauce) is less than 5% sugar then they'll use it ... all about moderation.

Biz likes this.
  14. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

Yes, that is the key. It's pretty much impossible to cut it out completely but you have to minimise it and it makes a huge difference. I estimate I was having between 20-30 teaspoons a day without realising it and now most days I would be less than 5. You just have to eliminate the really bad stuff completely and find alternatives where you can. After a few weeks I find I don't miss it. I will still have the odd bad thing here or there but it is not like before where I would finish dinner and would HAVE to have ice cream or some other junk.

Scott No Mates likes this.
  15. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

I used to have eating issues - remembered most nutritional value of each packaged items by heart. I still know the general content of food even now - normal soft drinks were terrible and still are. Also Nutrigrain and many kids cereals ...

I use Stevia when I can at home (has after taste but you get used to it really quickly) and Equal for coffee when outside - not exactly the best healthy option o_O There are still enough sugar in all food and seasonings

16. Terry_w

These are artificial chemicals and probably dangerous.

Why not just go cold turkey instead? It only takes about 5 cups to get used to it.

I have a friend who walks to try to lose weight and then he drinks a few pepsi max cans per day. He thinks these are good for him because there is no sugar.

17. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

Stevia is natural, no issue in that
    Equal (aspartame) is not great. Eat too much --> Laxative. In the long run it might not be healthy either. I avoid Saccarin

0_o your friend needs to learn more.
    I drink all zero sugar drink fully aware what I'm drinking. I'm in no illusion that' they're better (I just prefer the lower calorie option)

18. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

And this is the problem, we're eating sheet and then think we can just "burn it off" but it's doing damage to you in other ways. Look at how many gyms are out there now, we don't need all these gyms. Once upon a time gyms were the domain of meat head steroid monsters only and they should still be. We just need to eat right and do moderate exercise like going for a walk, run or bike ride. The gym explosion is just an effect of bad eating habits. It all starts with what you put in your mouth.

19. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

I eat pretty healthy food, but I still love chocolate.
    Everything in moderation.
    Don't feed your kids coke.
    Seems pretty obvious really.
    I remember seeing something not long ago, explaining to a person on one of those "I'm fat and my kid is too" shows. If the brekkie cereal has 1/3 sugar in it, every 3rd spoonful is a spoonful of sugar. She was dumbfounded. But don't think they'll change. It's child abuse.

20. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

Sugar in fruits is OK. Yes there is a lot of fructose, but there is also lots of fibre. The fibre slows down your fructose intake giving your liver time to process it properly.

If you juice the fruit though, then all the benefits of the fibre are gone and your liver has to process all the sugar in one hit. The liver can't do this so it has no choice but to take a shortcut and turn all the fructose into nasty fat..

Fresh fruit is fine. Just don't juice it.....

We provide our clients with the opportunity to select their own investments from a wide range of ASX listed securities. We provide the research to ensure your selections will achieve the goals. This is the value of advice.