Health & Family Is spending almost $200 per week on fitness too much?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Vassago, 16th Jun, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

Sssh. We'll never tell

2. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

My gym costs me $125 a visit. I'm not too concerned.

3. Piston_Broke

Piston_Broke Well-Known Member

No type of scrooge would ever spend $200wk doing something he can do at home for free

Bayview likes this.
  4. JacM

JacM VIC Buyer's Agent - Melbourne, Geelong, Ballarat Business Member

Some folks would spend $200 in a night on beverages at a bar. If you were not spending time at PT and volleyball, maybe you'd spend more out on the town with your mates anyway?

Bayview likes this.
  5. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

I would say yes; only because I am 56 years old and have managed to stay relatively fit through activities such as running, walking, bike riding, swimming and golf.

Except for golf, and bike riding - where one can spend a lot on a bike, or a set of golf clubs and Club Membership - the rest is very cheap to do.

But; even golf and a bike can be cheap to participate in if you need to keèp down costs.

However; if you truly enjoy what you are doing, are getting results, and you can justify the cost; go for it.

Redwing and JacM like this.
  6. PandS

PandS Well-Known Member

I can assure you, you can stay very fit that cost little like Bayview mentioned and that
    what I do and that what all my families and siblings and kids do.

We don't take any vitamin supplement, my kids can eat whatever they want I just remind them don't over do it, have a coke once a week or once in a while is ok, eat your steaks with fat is ok, pizza is ok as long as you don't do it every day and exercise, play your sports, go running and hiking with me etc...

I can be fairly certain the fitness industry scam and con is just as bad as the finance industry :)

but obviously we all human and we dont like people telling us we spending money on things that you can otherwise get for free for the same benefits and we hell bound to tell these benefits we are getting with spending crazy amount of money on them is superior to thing you can get for free

hello middle-class public and private education is another topic

I came from another place so I have perspective on both worlds and I can tell you from where I come from people can live to their 80-100s without any issues with healths for doing none of the things first world country spouse as fitness and you have to spend money on them :)

Gockie likes this.
  7. Ace in the Hole

Ace in the Hole Well-Known Member

This thread is getting silly.
    It's like asking if $200 is too much to spend on a meal out once a week.
    Or, is 100k passive income per person enough to retire comfortably...
    For some it will be and for others it won't be.

RS Gumby and 158 like this.
  8. PandS

PandS Well-Known Member

9. 2seaornot2sea

2seaornot2sea Member

I've always found it kind of fascinating the differing views people have on paying for health and fitness relates things.

Yes paying $110 p/w for a trainer is a reasonably hefty outlay, but so is paying $800 to have my tax done.

In both cases, yes it's possible to try and do it yourself for free, but you're probably going to save a lot of time and see far greater results by engaging an expert.

As for the run, swim, bike vs Gym Membership and a trainer option. There is a whole wealth of research out there showing that structured resistance training is king when is comes to improving body composition, strength and preserving muscle mass as you age.

So to summarise I think you're doing a great job of investing in yourself. Just try and treat the PT sessions like a tutoring session, ask questions and learn all you can about the fundamentals rather than just going through the motions and doing what your told. This way you're knowledge base will be far greater if you decide to strike out on your own.

Ace in the Hole likes this.
  10. Ace in the Hole

Ace in the Hole Well-Known Member

This is the most important part in my opinion.
    All one needs is a set of dumbbells and a flat bench to be able to do hundreds of variations of full body resistance exercises.

Here is an excellent resource for all the exercises you will ever need - Exercise & Muscle Directory
    There are complete videos and descriptions on how to correctly perform every exercise.
    Simply click on the body part you want to target and it will list every single exercise variation possible with various forms of equipment, even bodyweight, so there are no excuses that you don't have the facilities to do these exercises.

11. qak

qak Well-Known Member

My first thought is wow that's a lot, but you are probably saving on the medical alone.

Your body is your biggest asset, worth investing in!

12. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

Why not train with a training buddy? That way you still have accountability and can push each other at the gym.

I can't wait until my final uni subjects are completed, so I can concentrate on training.

2seaornot2sea likes this.
  13. Vassago

Vassago Well-Known Member

Update

I have dropped the PT sessions to once a week ($55pw) but have added 2 Reformer Pilates sessions a week ($50 or $60pw). Sounds like I can claim a bit back on health insurance for this, hoping it helps with my flexibility.

Still doing the volleyball and trying to hit the gym twice a week by myself (getting the PT to run through the exercises I will be doing prior to doing by myself).

Will probably re-assess in the new year what fitness activities I will do.

Perthguy likes this.
  14. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

I have been doing weekly mat Pilates for nearly 2 years. I have found it excellent.

Vassago likes this.