ASX Shares Is now the time to buy ANZ Bank shares?

Discussion in 'Shares & Funds' started by Darlinghurst Boy, 5th Apr, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Darlinghurst Boy

Darlinghurst Boy Well-Known Member

as the ANZ Bank shares have gone down to $21 nearly ... Is this the right time to buy ??

Do you think they will hit $33 again like they used to be ?

When do you think they will go above $30 ?

2. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

They haven't spent a whole lotta time above $30. There are a few world obstacles to see it get there in the short-term I would think (but I know nothing). I'd think about buying some very soon, but will probably hit VAS instead Screen Shot 2016-04-05 at 1.41.59 pm.png

3. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

As I said in another post, I'd wait as it looks like the banks have further to fall.

4. BingoMaster

BingoMaster Well-Known Member

Do you really want to risk your money on nothing but heresay from some people on an internet forum? It's different buying diversified things like ETFs since in the long run you should always do ok.

With ANZ, if you got 3 or 4 emphatic "yes!" responses would you really go out and buy the stock? It sounds like such a shaky and easily influenced strategy is sure to lose you money in the long run

If you're just posting speculative stuff like this for entertainment value because you like to chat about it, fair enough. Or you don't mind losing some money punting on stocks rather than investing with a solid plan

5. Darlinghurst Boy

Darlinghurst Boy Well-Known Member

How do u know the people on here dont work in the Stockbroking business?
    Do u all think there from Mount Druitt or something ?

Skilled_Migrant likes this.
  6. Nick Valsamis

Nick Valsamis Well-Known Member

If you don't know when the right time to buy is, be patient and wait until it halves in price to the $10-$15 range and then go all in.

7. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

This is just a simple chart,and you don't have to be smart to read complicated papers or be well educated but as i hold a small amount of both of these,ANZ for a long time up and down,in fact from around 37 bucks down,the other one was a start-up for 2 bucks,one could be the next blackmores the other depending on time and if you stick to the same simple strategy will go up again inbetween just walk up the letterbox picks up the div's,and stop watching the media drama investment queens,serotonin runs all markets..imho..
    [​IMG]

8. Jess Peletier

To be honest, being a stock broker is no evidence of knowing anything about the right time to buy.

Excalibur1, Foxy Moron, sanj and 4 others like this.
  9. datto

datto Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Forget shares. Buy property in Mt Druitt instead.

Wukong likes this.
  10. Hodor

Hodor Well-Known Member

I got on ANZ @ $19 and use DRP, they would have to go below $13 for me to be behind now. Even if they do I won't be bothered as I'll just get more bang for my DRP buck which will keep dollar cost averaging me in. There has been a fair fall if you want to acquire ANZ the yield (if stable) looks attractive to me and a couple of years of DRP put you well ahead if you're into the simpleton approach like myself.

What's your reasoning? I have no idea (which I why I'm now going down the ETF and LIC road) but I am curious.

11. balwoges

balwoges Well-Known Member

Some years ago I bought a large parcel of ANZ shares @ $15 per share, looking back I reckon it was a good buy :)

12. Jess Peletier

I'm a technical analysis freak :) Chart says 'no' - down trend, lots of top reversal patterns, lower lows, no real levels of support (last time I looked, anyways.) I'd wait - I prefer to see a few signs of buying before jumping in.

ross100 likes this.
  13. Nick Valsamis

Nick Valsamis Well-Known Member

To add to that, it is also better to wait until it becomes a value buy.

You could miss out on an opportunity but at least you run less downside risk and can achieve a higher yield percentage on dividends when the share price goes up.

14. tvadera

tvadera Well-Known Member

Hi

I have kept a buy order of 22.20

Hopefully gets processes tomorrow, I am going in from trading perspective, 6-8% rally would dispose it

I have been playing on rallies for other stocks as well

Got a few long term holds but not ANZ

15. BingoMaster

BingoMaster Well-Known Member

My point was that if you are so easily swayed, then maybe you shouldn't be buying.

And yes, stockbroking gives you zero advantage. They are there to generate a commission. Asking them is the equivalent of asking real estate agents if it's time to buy.

Even analysts, (which perhaps is what you are referring to) who work for big investment firms and spend their working lives analysing companies, can't predict the direction of stocks in the short term.

And in the long term in regards to picking specific stocks, on the whole, they tend to not do any better than the index which ranks shares by market capitalisation.

Anyway, whilst your posting these questions, also take some time to check out some other threads in the other asset classes forum by The Falcon and Austing, they're very informative.

16. tvadera

My order got processes today. If there is 7-8% rally I would get rid of it, on declines may buy more and keep in a drawer for long term play. All options are on the table

17. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Looks like around a 8.11% dividend yield which is good. But check out the 5 year chart for ANZ. 2011 they were trading ar around $24.

18. tvadera

Hi Terry,

I had compared the charts before buying, last month I missed out when it was close to this point, asx was around 4860 and since then it climbed approx 7%, and now has pulled back

I already hold some NAB shares n happy with that.

My plan is to buy on dips, got a watch list for direct stocks

Also hold VAS n MLT

now looking at LIC which goes beyond top 20 n then some international lic

19. Hidare

Hidare Active Member

My strategy is similar to your one - buy on the dips and sell when the price reaches 5-6%. But I will still keep some shares for long term. It looks like bank shares have been oversold recently.

20. tvadera

Sorry to hijack, also tracking BEN, would jump in if its close to 8, I see little downside and more of an upside

From APRA point of view they don't need to hold higher liquidity as compared to big banks. Also their exposure to mining write off is not as much as big 4

I like being hammered lately and also nice dividend yield , however dividends is never my trigger to get in

Please do ur own research as all oppr comes with risk