Is Melbourne Overtaking Sydney?

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by Arecaceae, 13th Oct, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Andy2022

Andy2022 Well-Known Member

So are you saying Sydney is London and Melbourne is some small town on the outskirts?

2. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Well, I'm biased so...

Hoping Perrottet will greenlight a raft of infrastructure projects in Sydney - fingers crossed he'll take up Gladys' mantle on that front.

3. SydneytoMelbourne

SydneytoMelbourne Well-Known Member

I imagine he (she?) is saying that Sydney is London and that Melbourne is Manchester, Leeds, Birmingham etc.

4. Squirrell

Squirrell Well-Known Member

Sydney is for poo poos. Melb heaps better.

MJS1034, craigc, Bunbury and 2 others like this.
  5. PropNuB

PropNuB Well-Known Member

I keep hearing about this 'bad weather' of Melbourne. In practical terms is it really that bad? If it was would it be growing that fast (prior to covid)?

Sydney is basically overpriced and overcrowded now. It is fast becoming a vertical city with high rises popping up in every part of the city (and according to a new report 50% have some structural issue). All the way out to the far west!

If you earn a cool 300-400k and above (single or combined) then yeah Sydney is a nice city (driving is a nightmare).

But what people don't take into account is that if you have a good circle of family and friends around then wherever you live is a great place!

craigc likes this.
  6. KinG3o0o

KinG3o0o Well-Known Member

does it matter ? who cares.. only matter if you can join the party, so buy both, cant lose,

Whitecat, craigc, Pernoi and 2 others like this.
  7. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

It's not "bad" in terms of it being extreme. It is bad in that it is cloudy and grey in winter which can get depressing after a while.

Also cold 6+ months of the year which makes it a bit hard for beach lovers. Whenever the first warm spring day arrived, I woke up wondering if this is how animal in hibernation felt when they woke up.

Summer is quite pleasant where hot spells usually followed by cool 20 degrees days after.

WattleIdo and Sackie like this.
  8. frankjeager

frankjeager Well-Known Member

well said

9. spoon

spoon Well-Known Member

Don't think so. Major corporations might not move their HQs to Melbourne. As long as the top dogs are in Sydney, the rest will and the city will remain as No. 1.

10. Tony3008

Tony3008 Well-Known Member

I've been here 13 years. I'd never visited Melbourne in high summer or in the winter, but coming from London wasn't worried about the latter but was concerned about getting through summer. Summer is fine - if it's really hot it only last a few days and it's nearly always dry heat which is tolerable; a 30C heatwave in London tends to go with high humidity and isn't.

What I got wrong was winter: I expected it to be around six weeks but for today's walk I walked 200m and came back to get my coat. It's 12C outside but with the Docklands wind feels a lot colder. But I've got used to it and definitely wouldn't not want to live anywhere with a high humidity summer (still have memories of an October Saturday in Townsville).

The other thing I'd note is that heating and insulation is so much better in UK. I moved out of my last Docklands apartment because it was so cold in the winter even with the split system running 24/7. Floor to ceiling single glazing may give a stunning view but I could never get comfortable.

11. danz

danz Well-Known Member

I think there was talk of QANTAS relocating to Melbourne, but I'm not sure it has eventuated

12. spoon

spoon Well-Known Member

I guess depends on what's one comparing. As a top-notch financial centre/capital city, it is still a resort compared to Hong Kong, Singapore and Tokyo. As an Australian city, well, I will steer clear of it. If I live in Australia, I want to live somewhere I can enjoy the Lucky Country. If I want to live a life in the fast lane, I would choose the three cities just mentioned. Or Beijing if I really want to see how good my respiratory system is.

PropNuB likes this.
  13. PropNuB

PropNuB Well-Known Member

So it isn't that bad afterall!

I agree about the unbearable humidity. I have experienced that in Singapore and Bali! Heat and humidity don't mix well!! I would rather wear extra clothing than be profusely sweating through my shorts and t shirt.

Interestingly Melbourne gets less average rain than Sydney and Brisbane - Environment and weather

Sydney has equally long winter...starts in mid April and ends in end of September early October. And this year it has been very weird with severe thunderstorms through October. And Sydney summers can get really hot. Insulation in Sydney sucks too and yes I have lived in UK too. Insulation there is far better!! Grey sky's in UK don't bother much as there are so many great pubs to enjoy a drink and cosy up.

As for Brisbane, I have heard it's the 5 months of extreme heat and humidity from October to February. So, it can be a bit of a challenge for many people.

But people have their own preferences.

14. Bunbury

Bunbury Well-Known Member

But if you value dining, nightlife, bars, pubs, live music, comedy, international events, culture and cultural gravitas (all especially after 6pm and particularly 24 hours a day), as well as having a life then Melbourne is your only stop. However if you are after a city with spectacular natural and man made landmarks then Sydney is the stop. Both cities are fabulous but for very different reasons and neither will ever match each other on their strengths.

Last edited: 16th Oct, 2021
    Nando Lee, craigc, danz and 2 others like this.
  15. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Who really cares, anyway. We all have our preferences. I'd never live in Melbourne, despite having family there....but that's just me.

Bunbury and Sackie like this.
  16. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Did you actually mean.... :D:D:D:D

The Y-man

17. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Yep, that's it!

18. Momentum

Momentum Well-Known Member

The weather sucks in Sydney, it gets much more rain than Melbourne

19. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Can we swap McGowan for Perrottet….. I think you guys lucked it big time:)

20. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

:confused:

Melb Cheapest city to rent in Australia

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/www...l-city-Australia-rent-Covid-19-lockdowns.html

Good news if you are renting, but geez oversupply is seriously going to hurt investors

Anyways back to is Melb going to overtake Syd…… this says it all:confused: