Is it worth my while to obtain a depreciation schedule?

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by new2this, 17th May, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. SimonQld

SimonQld Well-Known Member

Thanks Paul for amending you original post, much appreciated.
    I did say "up to $5,000", but anyway...Sure, if we're going to assume that every Division 40 item in the 1981 property is 36 years old then you'd be lucky to reach $1,000-$2,000 worth of plant and equipment items (which merely adds further weight to what I was saying about giving the client the option of saving $500-600 for a depreciation schedule when the ATO affords them the option of establishing the value(s) themselves). However, one would assume that some (if not all) of those plant and equipment items would have been replaced over the years so they would be valued at market value based on their approx age, original value, wear and tear, etc. Similarly, if every plant and equipment item within the 1981 property had just been replaced it could, most likely, be well in excess of $5,000.
    Yes, we offer the 'twice our fee in first full year or it's free' guarantee though that will be removed soon as, without plant and equipment depreciation on existing properties acquired post 9 May 2017, such a guarantee is risky i.e. if an investor comes to us with a post 9 May 2017 acquisition built prior to 15 Sep 1987 and the only Division 43 improvement identified is a recent paint job, for say $2,500, then the first full years depreciation is $62.50!
    The new changes throw a major spanner in the works for the 'guarantee' and for the on-line depreciation calculators which now have to be re-written to account for post 9 May 2017 acquisitions.

2. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

All good points really - Sign that having a QS opinion is always a good initial idea. Sometimes they save you money and effort through knowledge.

Yes - The guarantees will be impacted for some property. I would argue its easier to hold that guarantee than insert conditions. The number of investors without a QS report who should continues to surprise me.

SimonQld likes this.
  3. Heinz57

Heinz57 Well-Known Member

Reno by the old owner? This is tricky territory indeed !