Is it worth getting a depreciation report?

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by fcr, 4th Jun, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. fcr

fcr Member

I had a unit which was mostly my primary residence, but I rented it out for 9 months of the 2016-2017 financial year (and am now sorting out my taxes for that year, a little belatedly).

I've now sold the unit. CGT isn't an issue as I was living there other than those 9 months and another 6 months in 2013 where I also rented it out.

I wasn't paying a lot of interest as I'd paid down the loan significantly. So it was very positively geared. Not sure whether that's relevant. I haven't submitted my tax return yet but the estimate from etax is that I'll owe $2,000 to the ATO.

The building is maybe 20 years old. I did a few minor things to the place before renting it out e.g. replaced the oven and cooktop. I'd also installed blinds a couple of years back. Otherwise the place was as original. It's a studio - 45 square metres.

Not sure if it will be worth my while getting a depreciation report. Any thoughts?

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

It might be hard to get a depreciation schedule down now if you have sold it, and settled.
    Depending on your tax rate it could still be worth it though.

3. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Each dollar of deductions will increase CGT taxable profit by 50 cents. Its possible to avoud the report cost and a tax adviser can prep some depreciation based on your cost. The balance may reduce cgt. No QS cost

4. BMT Tax Depreciation

BMT Tax Depreciation Chris Business Member

One question, and sorry if I missed it: how long had you owned it for prior to renting it out?